Q7 new owner: Made a mistake and purchased extended warranty

sway162

TDI
2012 JSW TDI DSG
My wife and I got a Q7 TDi last Monday with 63k miles for $24,000. We had our two toddler boys with us. Long story short....I was watching the boys while she was finishing up paperwork at finance. I told her about the extended emissions warranty prior to purchase....she ended up agreeing on a 48 month/48,000 bumper to bumper warranty for an additional $5900! Am I right by telling her that we need to cancel this? She's having a lot of push back but I feel that this will be a complete waste when most of the high dollar repairs could be covered under the emissions warranty. Can someone please chime in and tell me I am right or if I am wrong...I would love to hear your feedback!! Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Josh

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
My wife and I got a Q7 TDi last Monday with 63k miles for $24,000. We had our two toddler boys with us. Long story short....I was watching the boys while she was finishing up paperwork at finance. I told her about the extended emissions warranty prior to purchase....she ended up agreeing on a 48 month/48,000 bumper to bumper warranty for an additional $5900! Am I right by telling her that we need to cancel this? She's having a lot of push back but I feel that this will be a complete waste when most of the high dollar repairs could be covered under the emissions warranty. Can someone please chime in and tell me I am right or if I am wrong...I would love to hear your feedback!! Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Josh

This comes up again and again. Extended warranties make lots of money for the companies, or they wouldn’t flog them so hard. Often it is hard to collect on them when the time actually comes. In this case you are buying a car with a dieselgate negotiated settlement that runs for another almost 60,000 miles and covers the very expensive items of engine and emissions. It is actually hard for me to think of a repair you could encounter, other than these items, that would cost you as much as what she agreed to pay. A rebuilt transmission? Cancel the warranty and put the money in a fund for repairs and maintenance.

What this boils down to is psychological. Many folks will pay a high price to have “peace of mind.” But simplicity is worth something as well. I’d rather not pay that kind of money and later not worry about having to fight with some stupid bean counter about whether my repair is covered under their “bumper to bumper” warranty.