TDI engine vibration - uppper engine mounts

forty20d

TDI
2001 golf
I have been having engine vibrations on the TDI. I am certain it is not the flywheel or injection pump issue. I noticed that the i can rock the engine about an 1/8" to 1/4" by putting my hand on top of the valve cover and push/pulling in the horizontal direction of travel. So I took it to a reputable vw guy. He replaced the lower engine mount. I still can rock the engine and have vibrations. Could some one check to see if their MK4 TDi to see if they get the same play I have observed on my engine?

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
That sounds like normal movement to me. Do you have your exhaust touching the body or cross-members anywhere? I have found that the TDI will make a pretty bad racket if the exhaust contacts anything metal.

Last edited:

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
I have been having engine vibrations on the TDI. I am certain it is not the flywheel or injection pump issue. I noticed that the i can rock the engine about an 1/8" to 1/4" by putting my hand on top of the valve cover and push/pulling in the horizontal direction of travel. So I took it to a reputable vw guy. He replaced the lower engine mount. I still can rock the engine and have vibrations. Could some one check to see if their MK4 TDi to see if they get the same play I have observed on my engine?
why are you certain?

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Factory mounts are good for 200K miles . Don't replace with aftermarket ones , they are crappy and wear out fast

BootsNTrucks

TDI
'02 Jetta
Another quick test is park the car on a somewhat level surface and look if the engine is tilted towards the driver side (or tilted to the passenger side) they need to be replaced.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I the 200K miles a rough number or factory recommended?
I was not aware there was a reason to change them unless they broke.
Rich W.

Factory mounts are good for 200K miles . Don't replace with aftermarket ones , they are crappy and wear out fast

forty20d

TDI
2001 golf
Will try to address several responses in one post.

1. I do not think it is the flywheel because the engine does not have the characteristic rattle that all the video of the dmf issue have. I also took the car to a vw tdi mechanic and he expressed the same comments.

2. I will have to examine the exhaust.

3. I am asking about engine movement because the movement i have observed indicates bad engine mounts in every type of vehicle I have ever owned or worked on. The symptoms are the engine twists when reviving in neutrel and i can manually move the engine. However, I have observed that VW engineers do things differently in many aspects on these cars and the movement I am seeing is normal. Therefore, i was hoping to get some one to measure finite numbers that I could compare to my observations on my car. Then I could definitely conclude that the engine mounts are good and move on the next possible cause of the vibrations.

4. The car has less than 200k. So do not expect the engine mount to be bad from normal wear and tear.

5. Will measure out of level on the side to side. Was not visually out of balance.

Sorry for the long write up. Thanks for your input.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Start with dogbone first . It there to prevent the engine from torquing
Check the other mounts for black residue

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I just did my mounts. The engine mount was a little soft, the transmission mount was fine, the dog bone was rock hard and that was transmitting vibration the the subframe with transmits to the whole body.

Now why the dog bone was rock hard I don't know. I could move my engine back and forth a little too, but now it is very quiet and no vibration.

272,000 miles

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yea, well, I can't believe reputable vw guy was under there and didn't look at all the mounts. From your descriptions, sounds like a busted mount

forty20d

TDI
2001 golf
Checked the engine mounts

This weekend checked how level the engine was. The transmission side of engine was lower. The engine side mount did not have black residue. Was not able to tell of the transmission mount.

Does the slope on the engine mean that the transmission mount is bad?

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
You have a bad upper transmission mount, a very common wore out mount after 100k on all TDI's. Due to lot of torque and diesel vibration the transmission mounts upper and lower (dogbone mounts) wear out within 100k miles also has lot to do with type of driving car done, highway driving will reduce stress as compare to city traffic jams where constantly accelerating/braking.

The MK5 on BRM they seem to wear out faster then ALH, also we noticed that if car had bad DMF then 90% the transmission is worn out too, at times there is a cracked top housing from excessive vibrations and too much drive-train movement.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
According to the original post, dogbone was replaced.
If it was replaced with polyurethane, that's definitely bad for vibration. I had an ECS tuning ultimate dogbone for about 1 minute in my A4. Plum horrible.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
why are you certain?
What exactly do you mean by "engine vibrations"?
You seem to be be addressing two seperate issues....engine vibration and play are not necessarily the same issue!
1/8" to 1/4" movement of engine is minimal!
I have seen these engines with wore out mounts have 2-3 inches of movement and no vibration.

forty20d

TDI
2001 golf
Transmission mount

Took out the air cleaner box last night to look at the transmission mount. The mount was missing half the rubber between the steel. Will replace it and see what happens.

Is it recommended to replace the engine mount at the same time?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If the mounts in good shape, you should only need to replace the broken part. Bolts may need replaced, check.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I have a transmission mount side extra. I changed all of mine and the transmission mount was fine. But since I was there I replaced. PM me if you want it and make me an offer.

dtrvler

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Had vibration in my brm body.

Already had new cam, flywheel, injectors are very well balanced at .2 (+ or -) or less each. Vibration was present at idle and less at higher rpms. Car is 06 mk5 dsg.
Found this thread and was guided to the engine mounts. Both upper mounts were bad. Engine side was worse. Replaced both with oem. Vibration in body gone. Thank you guys.