'03 Jetta Wagon Intercooler replacement tutorial?

Grantxvx

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, Greasecar Kit + FPHE
Hey guys,

I was searching the site for a tutorial on how to replace the intercooler for a MKIV Jetta Wagon, but wasn't having luck. Does anybody have a link for the appropriate thread?

I'm also looking for some veteran advice.

Oil was found leaking from passenger front side. We noticed a crack in the plastic wheel well on passenger front.

Our mechanic said that the intercooler needs to be replaced. Does this mean just the intercooler part or the plumbing to and from? What is the difficulty level and tools required to do this kind of job? (This will probably be explained in appropriate tutorial, but 2 cents is more than welcome).

Thanks in advance!

Turbodude1

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf 2dr. RCII, sprint 520s, shine susp
It might be helpful to search for bumper cover removal diy as after you remove the cover the intercooler is very easy to get to.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Its common for the intercooler to leak some oil out of the plumbing connections, but if there is a lot of oil accumulated it should be drained and diagnosed why as it can have disasterous results to an engine if causing a "runaway".
So the big question is, is the intercooler body actually cracked, or is oil just leaking out of the IC?? "crack in the plastic wheel well" or crack in the plastic part of IC??
If you need to replace the IC, then removal of the bumper cover is easy, just be careful not to break the hood latch when removing the keeper. youtube search suggested.