Window Regulator or Clips?

Jibeho

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
I was on a road trip with my 2000 NB this past weekend. I get the old window stays down with the rice crispy crunching sound. I take it to a Miami dealer and mention I heard something about a warranty. He said he will see. 45 min later here is what he said

1. The warranty only covers clips not the regulator. He said I have broken Regulator and needed the Regulator repair kit.

2. He said that the Clip warranty would not cover my car anyway because it has 142k miles on it.

I'm I getting a $250 shaft?

Thanks

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
my window fell and the clips broke as most do got a kit for 50 bucks took a couple hours maybe and took both apart and replaced it. should have been covered I would think....

seftonm

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
The warranty applies if the clips break and should cover everything required to fix the situation. There is no mileage limit on the extended warranty.

meye0022

TDI
99.5 Jetta, '03 Golf
Hmm...my clips broke on my Jetta around 8:00pm, so I took it to a dealer in Ottawa (the one that later told me I needed a new turbo) and they said to leave it with them and they'd get around to it. Since I did need my car to get around I just left and went to another one across town and they did it the next morning!!

Jibeho

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
Resolved!!

Thanks All!!

I did the following.

1. Called VWoA customer Care. Woman told me the dealer was wrong and gave me a claim number.
2. I called the dealer service manager, and after leaving 3 messages he called me back. I looked at my bill and was Very Sorry that this happened. He blamed it on a rookie service adviser. The dealership refunded my CC!:D

NumberCruncher

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, red
Does this warranty apply to a 2003 Jetta? When you press the button you can hear the motor and the mechanism in the door moves but the window stays up.

Syndicate

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Q7 TDI Sline, 09 335d
NumberCruncher said:
Does this warranty apply to a 2003 Jetta? When you press the button you can hear the motor and the mechanism in the door moves but the window stays up.
Yes it does. roll the window up all the way to the top.

Grab the glass from the inside and outside (with the door being open of course)

have another person roll the window down just a bit.

Push down with LITTLE force to dislodge the window. (It can stick but with little force) You don't want it falling while driving and breaking do you :D

Now you can either set it back in the clips gently to see which it broken (just tilt a little more one way) or roll the window all the way down and while still holding it (attempt to rotate it 180 degrees while pulling it up and out) You'll need to lower it into the door a bit to facilitate the movement.

bcw1969

I just had my driver's side window stick in the up position this morning (on an '03 Jetta wagon w/electric windows). When I pressed the down button again and pressed against the glass it slowly tilted out and I then was able to remove it entirely. Assuming that one of the clips broke, would my local dealer still repair this at no cost? (I bought the car used earlier this year and it has about 98k on it.) Any info would be appreciated,
thanks, Ben

PounDDer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI
bcw1969 said:
I just had my driver's side window stick in the up position this morning (on an '03 Jetta wagon w/electric windows). When I pressed the down button again and pressed against the glass it slowly tilted out and I then was able to remove it entirely. Assuming that one of the clips broke, would my local dealer still repair this at no cost? (I bought the car used earlier this year and it has about 98k on it.) Any info would be appreciated,
thanks, Ben
I would like to know the answer to this as well. Same thing happened to me yesterday.

alien_tdi

TDI
2002 golf
actually, 03 and up have the updated clips installed from the factory. on frozen mornings, the windows glass will come out of the rubber inserts in the clips. the fix is to put rtv in the clips rubber channel, dont know if its covered under warranty.

Last edited:

bcw1969

Alien_tdi, thanks for the info. I'm taking it in to my local dealer tomorrow and I'll post any relevant info.

DieselOx

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan 5sp 342,000mi
alien_tdi said:
on frozen mornings, the windows glass will come out of the rubber inserts in the clips. the fix is to put rtv in the clips rubber channel,
I think this happened this morning. Window fell, got it back up, raised the mechanism to the top, then it seemed to seat itself back in. I stripped it down and checked the window clips, the bolts are still tight and it has the upgraded aluminum clips, window appears to be back where it should be.

Only thing that concerns me is the 'rice crispy' sound sometimes in the middle of the travel. Not every time. Is that the regulator going/gone? Should I get the repair kit before I pull out the whole thing?

(My better half did blip the window down while it was frozen up, 9F this morning, iced up so you couldn't see through it; bad habit).

Syndicate

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Q7 TDI Sline, 09 335d
You might have killed the motor, or the regulator. Or perhaps the plastic inside the regulator broke being brittle with the fridged temps and the motor wanting to torque through the ice?

Did any white pieces of plastic fall out when you took the door panel off? That would be the teeth of the regulator.

DieselOx

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan 5sp 342,000mi
Didn't see any plastic bits. It's back in the clamps now, tightened down, seems to work mostly right (tried it about 12 full cycles). The grinding seems to be gone, but it makes more noise when it starts ^up^ than it did, like it's taking up play, but I can't compare it to a good window, I'm afraid to try one; it didn't get over 20F here today, don't want to break another one.

kafer65

Veteran Member
TDI
Early '06 Jetta 5M
Yep, happen to me too. I managed to get the glass back on to the clip and roll it up but it wants to automatically roll back down and come undone again, so I got it back together again and rolled it up and unplugged the switch module to keep it up. Anyone have a fix for that?