rv towing of jetta

BillV

TDI
2006 Jeffa TDI
i have ordered a 2006 jetta tdi package 2 manual tran.
will tow this vehicle behind a motor home.
does anyone on this forum see a problem with towing this car?
thanks,
bill vassar

VLZWGN

TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI Reflex Silver
Bill,
Check out this topic....

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?C...true#Post743571

Have concerns myself as I would like to flat tow my 06' Golf TDI or 00' Passat wagon (both manual transmission). Don't want to invest in a dolly since I already have a towbar and braking system. Don't want to deal with a dolly or trailer once I get to the destination.

It seems that the owners manual doesn't support it but according to the posts in the topic above, others on RV forums have not reported problems according to the above topic. I need to visit these forums myself and see. I haven't been able to find any personal for or against experience in this forum yet though. There seems to be opinions for and against. I'm slightly concerned about extra wear and tear on the front suspension as I'm sure its more delicate than that on the Jeep Wrangler I have been towing.

I have spoken with two different companies which sell baseplates (small fabricated frame which permanently attaches to car frame for connection to towbar and which is concealed by bumper cover) for the VW's and they say there is no problem with flat towing a manual transmission VW. Now I realize that if something were to go wrong with the car due to towing I couldn't hold them responsible. OTOH, would they knowingly sell a line of products for most VW's that causes damage to customers cars? Bottom line, if there is a towing related issue, I'm on my own with no support from VW - seems to be the case with many anyway.

As far as odometer miles or no miles, I will coast downhill with key-on / engine-off to see if the miles add up to confirm a posters experience in the above topic.

There's also a post in the above topic about lateral forces being applied to the car's structure in order to make the front tires steer during flat towing - a valid point but I'm not sure its as serious an issue the poster says it is. Is this more or less force than what's applied during cornering? Can these forces be quantified? What issues have come up as a result - premature front-end or tire wear?

Other than the above, I have the overall impression/opinion that towing is okay.

Greg