ALH Starter Rebuild

rrgrassi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI 5 speed
Hi,

I am having the long crank syndrome as well. VAG com shows GP's out. They are on order. The starter is also doing the "whir", and I do have a spare to rebuild.

My problem is finding a rebuild kit. I searched the forum, and cannot find anything. Does anyone have the Bosch Part number for the rebuild kit, including bearings?

Thanks!

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I put one of these starters in when my old one was slowing down and it's been working great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T689UQC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That's the same starter I bought on ebay for mine(from same supplier)-yeah,yeah, it's not a Bosch, but it'll allow me to take mine out and have it possibly be rebuilt if it's original(not yet sure) - that goddamn woodchuck lied and it's still too cold for me to crawl around on cold concrete floor to get that changed and other work done.

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
Just an fyi. You do not need to get under the car to change the starter. If you pull the battery and the battery box everything is right there. You may not be able to see everything but it's easy to feel where it is.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Yep, did the starter like that when my son had his 01 Jetta gasser. I need to get on ramps and take the Dieselgeek skidplate off, as a bolt in rear just spins now(happened when I did service on car last year), and numerous other maintenance I've neglected to do in cold weather.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I have been using only Bosch Reman starters. They are expensive but have had very good luck with them. They have seemed to fix both the brush hanging issue and bendex hanging issue the OE starters are plagued with.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
This the one? https://www.amazon.com/DB-Electrical-SBO0100-Starter-Volkswagen/dp/B007Y86BHM

I was thinking of picking up one to have on hand as a spare.
This is my experience and how I stumbled into purchasing one.

I had less than a desirable experience with two local rebuilders with my Bosch Alternators. They charged good but the bearing(s) seemed rough. I questioned their condition and never got a good reply.

Anyway, looking here and there on-line, I saw a new ALT from DB Electric but never purchased.... Then, fast forward about 6 months, a friend brought his car to me to install an ALT he had purchased off eBay. Low and behold, it was a DB Electric. I installed it. That's been well over a year ago.. works great. So, I put one on the ALH in my Vanagon.. works great.

Now, during all this time, I'd had starter issues too (long story that I'll not divulge here). Anyway, after several disappointments, I went shopping on-line again and saw numerous offerings of the obviously Made in China starters. So, I did a search on eBay for DB Electric...... purchased one and installed it. Now, my ALH starts bam, bam every time. I'm happy. (Unless it is quite advantageous for me, I never use Amazon.)

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
^^^
Yes a friend put a Starter & Alternator from dB & they both are working great plus his came with an bench test sheet with all the tech output specs on both parts & he double check them in the car and they match what db said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rrgrassi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI 5 speed
Well, time for me to order the starter rebuild stuff. Replacing the GP's went off without a hitch, and no more check engine light. GP's 1,2, and 3 were burned out.

Last edited: