Transmission Mount Inserts

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI S-Line + Black Optics Package
Alright people, I have a 2014 Q5 TDI 3.0. I’m wondering if a transmission mount insert would be a bad idea for our diesels? Since diesels have a slightly rougher idle than petrol, I’m wondering if these inserts would be a bad idea because of the introduction of vibrations and cabin noises and if anyone has any experience with an insert on their diesels.. I’m particularly wondering about the ECS and RKX inserts because they are made of a polyurethane (less vibrations at idle); I’m not considering the metal inserts. I’m not building a racecar, but if the insert makes little to no difference in terms of noise and vibration, I’d buy it to make the q5 a little more fun to drive. Thanks all.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Read up on how your transmission works, I think you'll find it is not applying torque to the wheels at 0 road speed with 0 accelerator input and the brake pedal pressed. So there shouldn't be any change there, but may be under acceleration.

Personally I think you have a solution in search of a problem here. You already have the best power-to-weight ratio of any TDI sold here, I'd enjoy it just as it is! :) The Q5 TDI is a hoot to drive!

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for responding Oilhammer- the Q5 TDI is awesome to drive. I just had the DPF+EGR removed and put a 3" Rawtek downpipe on with a stage 2+ and the thing rips for an SUV!

As far as no torque going to the wheels, even when the car stock, I could always feel some amount of load on the gears. I've also viewed the load in tq through my vcds (I honestly don't remember what setting it was or how I got there really) and watched how different features (AC, defrost, etc.) effect the tq load values on the engine. Sometimes while i'm waiting at a stoplight, i'll put the car in neutral to stop the vibration that is there already. I'm just wondering if that vibration would get noticeably worse with a transmission mount insert?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, well, it isn't really an "SUV" in the traditional sense. It is an A4 avant with a goofy top hat and raised suspension. :p But, because it is based on an awesome CAR, it performs pretty well (albeit not as good as the A4, but we couldn't get a TDI in the A4 before Dieselgate broke, so... :( )

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I had solid mounts on my alh and drove it everyday. Believe me I heard where every trim panel met one another and when it would shudder it shook everything. Went back to stock mounts and was soooooo much better. Hope that helps

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks satin! That’s really what I’m looking for- peoples’ experience with transmission mount inserts on a diesel. Anyone else, feel free to chime in and share your experience!