Used vs Rebuilt 11mm Injection Pumps

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
I want to upgrade the 10mm pump on my '03 Jetta because it has 270K and also for more power. The car has Bosio PP357 nozzles already.

There is a local guy who is selling excellent condition "factory rebuilt" 11mm injection pumps. He wants $350 and $400 for the two pumps in the pictures.

I asked him how he knows they are factory rebuilt, and he said the rebuilt pumps come from CZ and OEM are from Germany. He also said "it appears to have very little use". It does appear to look pretty new in the pictures.

Is this true? Would you guys pay this much for a used 11mm pump?

I really do not want to get a Prothe special or any questionable pump, with chinese internals, especially if I'm spending $400.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Ask for pics of the other side, you're looking for a number that has a 404 or 414 at or towards the end, 404 is a 10mm pump and 414 is an 11mm pump. They honestly look too dirty and grimey to be rebuilt... probably some he pulled off at the pick a part for 30 or 40 bux and trying to make money

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
I think he did pull them off of a car at the pick n pull. He is selling them as low mileage used pumps that have been rebuilt.

This is the only other pictures he sent:

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe resealed but I would expect plastic caps on the fuel head if they had been actually rebuilt. Also the small nipple isn't plugged on the banjo fitting of the fuel return line that also looks bent. I wouldn't take the chance at that price. I haven't paid more than 50 bux for a used one and have only had 1 problem that I'm still convinced I may have caused.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
95% of Bosch pumps wheter it be rotary or Common eail,come from the Czech republic now, even new. Nothing to worry about, same quality as OEM.
The fact it has the Reman symbol on the case means it's a properly rebuilt, not some backshed bodge job.
What symbol are you talking about? Is it the arrow/circle thingy like a recycle symbol?

I'm not concerned about the remanufactured part, just trying to see if this guy is honest or not. Don't want to drop $400 on a bogus Prothe pump that turns out to be junk.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
You can’t confirm how long ago it was rebuilt, so just consider it a 11mm pump. Possibly with lower miles than one that came on the car originally.

My “newly” rebuilt 11mm pump came directly from VW and had the same markings as the pictures. I’ve got 70k on that pump.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I recently bought an 11mm pump here, looked similar to the ones you show. Good condition, indications that it hadn't been on the car long. I sent it to our Bosch shop for testing. Needed a complete rebuild, which costs a little less than a Bosch rebuilt pump in box. I didn't love it but had it done so I have a spare (4 ALHs in my care so someone's going to need one as some point). My advice: expect that it's no good and pay accordingly. $200 is a good price, as a rebuild will cost $800+.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
You could try getting in touch with user name "burn_your_money",
I bought one of his rebuilds as a backup.
I had a core to return, which brought the net cost down.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=493435

I have yet to install it, but he was a good guy to deal with. He actually
tests his rebuilds on a car, and it's my understanding that he works,
or worked, in a diesel specialty shop.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Mr.loops has one for sale in the classified section

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
waste of money on such small nozzles

buy a chinese pump head if you really feel yours is worn out, they're dirt simple to swap, and about a hundred bucks shipped

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
YO, PP357 nozzles are basically a tick above stock and no where NEAR a good size for a IP MOD build of any sorts.
Ive been running pp764's on a bone stock IP for years and was able to pull 230HP on them with a big turbo.

If your going this way on this pump, get some 502's at least, a good tune, and a cam with a large turbo, otherwise save your money. This pump is literally the MOST $ you can spend for the LEAST amount of HP and MPG gain. you will infact see a drop if MPG and at best 5HP if your lucky. Maybe you might get more but there are a few things that you mod that give you HUGE gains when you have all other mods done.
its a rabbit hole honestly and i for one am building a 11mm pump with a 12mm head for an engine that is targeting 450HP. Your stock IP should be rebuilt, spend the money on some better nozzles and a cam and a tune with a generous turbo, only then can you thing about an IP mod like this. Even then a good amount of head work is in order so you can gain the higher RPM's you need to even see the benefits of this pump.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
YO, PP357 nozzles are basically a tick above stock and no where NEAR a good size for a IP MOD build of any sorts.
Ive been running pp764's on a bone stock IP for years and was able to pull 230HP on them with a big turbo.

If your going this way on this pump, get some 502's at least, a good tune, and a cam with a large turbo, otherwise save your money. This pump is literally the MOST $ you can spend for the LEAST amount of HP and MPG gain. you will infact see a drop if MPG and at best 5HP if your lucky. Maybe you might get more but there are a few things that you mod that give you HUGE gains when you have all other mods done.
its a rabbit hole honestly and i for one am building a 11mm pump with a 12mm head for an engine that is targeting 450HP. Your stock IP should be rebuilt, spend the money on some better nozzles and a cam and a tune with a generous turbo, only then can you thing about an IP mod like this. Even then a good amount of head work is in order so you can gain the higher RPM's you need to even see the benefits of this pump.
Yeah I know. I wanted to upgrade since the pump has 270K. Seems like the right time to go to 11mm. This '03 Jetta also has the original turbo and flywheel. I plan on replacing all three and getting some DLC 1019s. Thinking about getting the head rebuilt too but don't want a cam because I don't want to move the power band upward from where it is now.

I have a bunch of common rail parts for trade in the classifieds section. If anyone reading this is interested send me a message.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Cam wont change power band as much as a tune will. Speaking of that, 11mm shine at higher rpms.
My pump is at 360k! No reason to replace parts due to age or milage unless called for. Save your money for a better turnout and gauges.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
1019s with an 11mm is a lot of fuel. I'd go with .205s, especially if you're keeping the stock turbo. I'm running 11mm, pp357s, and Rocketchip 3+. Dyno'd at 140/260 at the wheels on a very conservative dyno. Car is extremely responsive and very quick, and I haven't had a tank range less than 700 miles in ages.