Timing belt and crank seal install

gutts

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
Hello Everyone !
The cat : 99.5 1.9 TDI 5 speed
I am doing the TB and that main crank seal .
I have taken it apart . Looking/thinking about this . Can I install the seal into the carrier on my work bench ? I have the carrier on my bench already .I have read directions that say to install the carrier, then install the seal. It appears that it would be alright to install the seal now .
Thoughts ??
Insight ...
Thanks

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Sure why not. The important the step is not to nick or fold the seal over when installing it over the crankshaft

Edit: it would easier to install the seal with the carrier already installed into the block ( it is was the RMS I’m sure either method would work).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gutts

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
Edit: it would easier to install the seal with the carrier already installed into the block ( it is was the RMS I’m sure either method would work).

Thanks for the reply . The RMS ???

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
That's how I installed the one I changed. Used a press with a seal driver to get it in square and flush. Then put the carrier on the engine.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you do it that way, use some assembly grease on the outer and inner of the seal, so it goes into the carrier easily, and onto the crank easily.

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
That's how I installed the one I changed. Used a press with a seal driver to get it in square and flush. Then put the carrier on the engine.

This is the tool I used ( I’m a vw tool snob)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
will probably work as others have reported doing so but it might be a tighter squeeze (you gotta make sure you don't smush that sealant between the carrier and oil pan gasket incorrectly.)

I did mine after installing the carrier and used a piece of pvc pipe that I grinded down a bit then covered with tape to hammer it home. Make sure you have the little protective sleeve thing on when installing so the seal doesn't get knicked... or use some tape and cover up any sharp edges on the crank. and if it's a teflon seal make sure you install it completely dry and let it sit before moving anything for the prescribed time.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
It will depend on if it’s a Teflon seal or the old rubber style seal (with a spring) the old style rubber seal can be lubed up.

The Teflon seal needs to have the end of the crank cleaned with alcohol and the seal needs to be installed using the provided plastic tool so as not to fold the lip of the seal, and then it needs to set for four hours without the crank being moved.

Which kind of seal do you have?

gutts

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
Thank you all for the insight .
I see How if I install the carrier without the seal , it is better for the sealing of the carrier.
If installing seal when the carrier is in the car it is hard .
It is a trade off . I have a special skill of never being able to install a seal correctly
I bought the old style seal from ID parts .

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Things have to work once in a while. :)
If I could only catch a traffic light green. :eek:

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic Sedan
What's the best way of putting in a seal without the needed tools or any PVC laying around?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I used an impact socket that was just ever so slightly larger than the diameter of the seal, and then used a Hydraulic press.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You need something to press it in or tap it in with bud. Socket or pcv, or something round and stout that can take a hammer hit and press the seal in evenly.

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
You need something to press it in or tap it in with bud. Socket or pcv, or something round and stout that can take a hammer hit and press the seal in evenly.
I am curious as to why since it seems that as long as I place it by hand it should be fine.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am curious as to why since it seems that as long as I place it by hand it should be fine.

Which seal are you trying to install? If it's the front crank seal it has to be pressed in. If it goes in by hand then something is wrong.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The original poster was asking about the crankshaft seal. That one you HAVE to press in. The cam seal just sets in, then you install the cam cap on top of it. Next time specify which seal you are installing please.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Right now I have the camshaft oil seal.

Is it a Teflon seal or the old rubber style seal? The Teflon has no spring the rubber seal does.

Oil up the old rubber seal to help it slide on, the Teflon seal require you to clean the end of the cam, I use rubbing alcohol or a shot of carb or brake cleaner will work. The shaft must be completely free of oil. Once the seal is installed the cam must set for four hours without moving.

Of course putting a small piece of tape over the notch on the cam is a good idea so you don’t nick the seal as you’re installing it.

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
Is it a Teflon seal or the old rubber style seal? The Teflon has no spring the rubber seal does.

Oil up the old rubber seal to help it slide on, the Teflon seal require you to clean the end of the cam, I use rubbing alcohol or a shot of carb or brake cleaner will work. The shaft must be completely free of oil. Once the seal is installed the cam must set for four hours without moving.

Of course putting a small piece of tape over the notch on the cam is a good idea so you don’t nick the seal as you’re installing it.
It is made of teflon, I am aware of the need to clean the area and not to oil it. And to allow it to sit for at least four hours. Thank you for letting me know in case I did not know.