www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old February 18th, 2019, 21:51   #16
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

next year im going to skip bolting on my general altimax artic tires as I just kept getting high centered and had to drive the truck anyway. I swear this 2015 rides lower than my 2013 did
2009 Highlander Hybrid aka the HIHY 25MPG
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 06:47   #17
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
I'm not totally sure how these go on, but with chains I alway back onto about 6" of them, that way I am fastening the inside just in front of the tire close to the ground where there is the best access, you can even have the front wheels turned all the way each way for each side to have really good access to the inside fastener, but it is harder to lay out the chain/sock under the car that way.
there are YouTube videos showing how to install them. it involves turning the wheel to grant better access to the rear of the tire and then drive forward and finish wrapping the tire.

there are chains that don't require you to drive over them to install

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old February 19th, 2019, 15:48   #18
Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20IndigoBlue02 View Post
there are YouTube videos showing how to install them. it involves turning the wheel to grant better access to the rear of the tire and then drive forward and finish wrapping the tire.

there are chains that don't require you to drive over them to install

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I figured it out by turning the tires. It just required more adjustments because you still don't have access to the entire tire unless you have tiny hands and forearms.

I remember being thrilled about 30 years ago with the hoop style chains with the magnetic connection. I haven't chained anything up in so long. I think I've been on the same tire chain purchase from Les Schwab for over 20 years. If you don't use them, they let you swap them for another set if you need another size. Last year I sent them with the ex when she was moving. I wanted to make sure she at least far enough that where she was going was closer than turning back.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 07:06   #19
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
I figured it out by turning the tires. It just required more adjustments because you still don't have access to the entire tire unless you have tiny hands and forearms.

There are chains available that don't require you to reach around the back of the tire.

They tend to be quite expensive though, such as Spikes Spider and Konig (Thule) K-Summit.
Old February 21st, 2019, 20:32   #20
Mark_J
Veteran Member

He lives in western Washington, Arlington, WA, where it very seldom snows. I live in the NE side of the state with 2 feet on the ground and the ground has been covered since thanksgiving. I do have good factory sipped tires and my 2015 Passat is great in the snow. He talks about how good a 4X4 pickup is in the snow, I worked on the west side, lived on the east side, and most of the vehicles in the ditch were 4X4 pickups because some folks think they are the cure all in the snow. Yes they are great in deep snow, starting off the line, but no better than anything else coming to a stop or very difficult to get out of a skid if you start to slide and loose traction. When it does snow on the west side it is usually heavier, wet snow that is very slick. On our side of the state where is gets close to zero most nights, the snow is actually somewhat sticky. Was in law enforcement and this was my observation.
Mark_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 23:04   #21
rustycat
Veteran Member

Here's a Hack that the guy says works for getting some traction back from a dead stuck stop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFpfXacyEuY
rustycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2019, 17:30   #22
scrambld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Last year I sent them with the ex when she was moving. I wanted to make sure she at least far enough that where she was going was closer than turning back.
...me likes!
scrambld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2019, 04:22   #23
Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsenicka View Post
So you live in an area where you experience enough snow that you can't drive your car for almost a week, yet you don't think snow tires are necessary... really?
Yes, exactly. I don't need snow tires for an even that happens once every seven years when there is a 4X4 with all terrain tires in the garage.
Old March 4th, 2019, 04:33   #24
Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_J View Post
He lives in western Washington, Arlington, WA, where it very seldom snows. I live in the NE side of the state with 2 feet on the ground and the ground has been covered since thanksgiving. I do have good factory sipped tires and my 2015 Passat is great in the snow. He talks about how good a 4X4 pickup is in the snow, I worked on the west side, lived on the east side, and most of the vehicles in the ditch were 4X4 pickups because some folks think they are the cure all in the snow. Yes they are great in deep snow, starting off the line, but no better than anything else coming to a stop or very difficult to get out of a skid if you start to slide and loose traction. When it does snow on the west side it is usually heavier, wet snow that is very slick. On our side of the state where is gets close to zero most nights, the snow is actually somewhat sticky. Was in law enforcement and this was my observation.
The truck remains in the garage during most snow events because the only thing it can do better is get moving. I have always driven whatever passenger car in the snow instead of the truck. The sides of the roads become littered with 4X4s beginning at the first sign of snow on the West side.
Old March 4th, 2019, 06:19   #25
Mark_J
Veteran Member

True and because is doesn't snow very often on the west side, and especially as much as it did this time, folks don't have the experience on how to drive in the snow. So some may laugh when Seattle shuts down when it snowed over a foot, but they aren't equipped to clear city streets and it is a very hilly area, with many steep hills like Capitol hill.
Mark_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2019, 19:48   #26
jackbombay
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A4 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 57/43/32

The last week and a half I was working in Vail at the Burton US Open snowboard championship, there was a $500,000 trailer there that has a very large TV in it that pops out of the top that they drag up the ski hill with a snocat and park it next to the bottom of the halfpipe so they can show replays of the snowboarding to the crowd.

After the contest was over the trailer was in the parking lot and a guy was backing a truck up to it, and the truck had snow socks on it. I chatted with him for a bit, he LOVES them, he's hauled all sorts of stuff all over and won't use anything else. I forgot to ask about longevity though. He said they are particularly good in PNW "warm snow".

When you tow a $500,000 15,000 pound trailer in the winter traction is critical!

I'm not sure I'll ever buy a pair anytime soon, but I'm certainly not opposed to them.

Oh yea, and here is a pic of me With Terje!

I also rode the chairlift with Danny Davis!

Hp vs. TQ
jackbombay is offline   Reply With Quote