Passport Backlog

savd4one

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Passat Wagon - evil gasser :)
this is just an FYI if you're flying to the fest this year...got it from my company's web site.

The U.S. State Department’s Passport Services unit is experiencing a major backlog in processing applications. Rather than taking the usual four to six weeks, routine applications or renewals are now taking 10 weeks. Even the more expensive expedited service takes about three to four weeks. Additionally, because the service uses a centralized system, travelers cannot get their documents faster by submitting applications directly to a regional processing facility. At present, passports are not required for Western Hemisphere travel by land or sea.
Historically, January to March is Passport Services peak period for processing applications. Although the agency hired extra help, the anticipated surge due to Phase I of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative was far larger than expected. As of January 23, 2007, every U.S. citizen must have a valid passport to fly between the United States and Mexico, Canada and other Western Hemisphere countries.

The National Passport Information Center (travel.state.gov) lets applicants check on the status of their applications online. The website also provides telephone numbers and e-mail addresses to contact customer service representatives.

bruzer_boy

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
I thought most people would be driving to the fest. You only need a passport to fly into Canada. You can still drive across no problem.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
it's those new biometric passports ... all the EU countries have a passport backlog as well.

ComradeXavier

TDI
2005 New Beetle
For what it's worth, expedited service took two and a half weeks when I got my passport in March of this year. Work paid for it, so the extra cost wasn't an issue for me.