2.0 Gen 1 post fix impressions, issues, etc.

dgrowl

TDI
2014 JSW
ticketed2much - I had same question today and asked the question via chat on the VW claims portal. Agent told me that "once the modification is complete your claim will be closed and the vehicle will not be able to be sold back to VW within this settlement."

I also asked when the modification had to be completed by in order to receive payment. Answer was 12/2018.

Tdiforme2

TDI
2012 Jetta 6 speed manual
Reporting back after 1st partial fill since the Fix. Decided to fill up after 470 mi and I hand calculated at 39.8. Those miles are skewed some because of using my trailer to do some moving and hauled a couple heavier loads, one was hauing 670 lbs of scrap metal in.
No issues, a little louder at times, accel and power is good plus I don't baby it. So far happy I stuck with waiting for the mod.

mdl3r1

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
UPDATE - Got Glow Plug light on, and thne CEL.

Hi all,
Bad news, hope not so bad:

Had fix Thursday 9/14, got Glow Plug light on on Saturday, and CEL also on Sunday...called dealer, setup for this AM...heading out soon....will update..

BTW, was the GLOW PLUG not supposed to be replaced on 2009's as part of fix??????

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
UPDATE - Got Glow Plug light on, and thne CEL.

Hi all,
Bad news, hope not so bad:

Had fix Thursday 9/14, got Glow Plug light on on Saturday, and CEL also on Sunday...called dealer, setup for this AM...heading out soon....will update..

BTW, was the GLOW PLUG not supposed to be replaced on 2009's as part of fix??????
Sorry to hear that. Let us know what they find. I hope you don't need a new heatercore like several of us did after the 'fix'.

Last edited:

mdl3r1

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Sorry to hear that. Let us know what they find. I hope you don't need a new heatercore like several of us did after the 'fix'.

Waiting to hear.... will advise.

So, in the end, your heater core was not covered? $1,100?... can't even consider that now...

they told me everything was great before and after the fix...

mdl3r1

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Taking mine in tomorrow (2010 TDI Jetta Wagon automatic, 91,000 miles). Will report back; have several 4 hr drives coming up the rest of the week; hope that I'm not doing them in the loaner).
Biehrman,
where are you having it done? I mean which dealer?

mdl3r1

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Sorry to hear that. Let us know what they find. I hope you don't need a new heater core like several of us did after the 'fix'.
OK, update:
Indeed, for MY 2009, they were supposed to replace the glow plug Module.....but due to someone misreading the serial # on mine, they did not replace, but should have.
Dealer did so today,No charge, of course. all is well, Jetta rides like a champ again...
(While I'm there, a quick clarification on performance as stated earlier: the hesitation or lower power at startup...is for like 100 or so 200 rpms max, and then vroom, it torques and accelerates right up at those rpms....just seemingly 100-200 rpms..like around 750-900 ......I was always amazed at how zippy and responsive at startup and those RPM's below 1,000 it was...))
So, my service advisor guy was great and honest, which I appreciated, rather than some bogus excuse...)and thanks to this fine Forum, I asked him about 09's needing that glow plug item..) ...and for the inconvenience, I'll get a free oil change... :p

Methinks I was fortunate...
@mpriolo -
I'll get build later..meant to, wil post. I know it was one built in the Puebla, Mexico plant...

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Getting my 2010 Golf, manual, done next Wednesday! I also have a CP3 HPFP, so hopefully they won't turn me away. I have 153,000 miles.

blazerico

TDI
`09 JSW, DSG; '12 JSW (manual)
couple of post fix tanks under my belt. good mix of highway and city miles, which is typical for me. overall, the car just seems a little sluggish and mpg is down by about 2 (calculated). I'll be getting a tune whenever I feel comfortable that nothing is going to fail due to the fix, which should be soon.

bherman

TDI
2010 TDI Sportswagen
Biehrman,
where are you having it done? I mean which dealer?
I had it done at Grand Junction (CO) Volkswagen; I am quite impressed with this dealership - very professional staff, good communication. Prices not terribly out of line for routine maintenance. Work completed on Monday, left early Tuesday for the rest of the week. All is well, may actually be running better than before. Did two 300 mile trips, mostly highway speed but over 2-10,000 ft elevation mountain passes each way. No noticeable difference in power or shift points; mileage might be slightly down (averaged about 42.5 each way) but car seems to be running smoothly and eats up hills just like before.

So far so good.

mdl3r1

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
I had it done at Grand Junction (CO) Volkswagen; I am quite impressed with this dealership - very professional staff, good communication. Prices not terribly out of line for routine maintenance. Work completed on Monday, left early Tuesday for the rest of the week. All is well, may actually be running better than before. Did two 300 mile trips, mostly highway speed but over 2-10,000 ft elevation mountain passes each way. No noticeable difference in power or shift points; mileage might be slightly down (averaged about 42.5 each way) but car seems to be running smoothly and eats up hills just like before.

So far so good.

Good to hear, bherman, that your JSW is running well...and liked your choice of words, and sounds rather accurate: "...eats up hills...". lol.

I also really do appreciate how these TDI's just accelerate hard up hills....

DStark18

TDI
2014 Jetta
I have a 2014 TDI Manual. Was stage 2 Malone before I brought it in for the fix a few weeks ago. Since I got it back I haven't been very happy. A few days after I got an EGR CEL. It is very jumpy when starting out in 1st gear and also around 2-3k rpm in 2nd and 3rd gear its very laggy almost like fuel cut. my fuel economy hasnt really changed I went back to stage 2 tune so I'm back up to about 47mpg city. I also didn't have a great experience with the dealer I went to here in NY. Took over a week and my heat hasn't worked since...

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
I have a 2014 TDI Manual. Was stage 2 Malone before I brought it in for the fix a few weeks ago. Since I got it back I haven't been very happy. A few days after I got an EGR CEL. It is very jumpy when starting out in 1st gear and also around 2-3k rpm in 2nd and 3rd gear its very laggy almost like fuel cut. my fuel economy hasnt really changed I went back to stage 2 tune so I'm back up to about 47mpg city. I also didn't have a great experience with the dealer I went to here in NY. Took over a week and my heat hasn't worked since...
How many miles on the car?,,also you may have voided your warranty by reinstalling the malone tune..taking it back with that tune..they may not repair for free under warranty.. I think you may have jumped the gun a little to soon with the tune...blocked heater core maybe..like others

DStark18

TDI
2014 Jetta
How many miles on the car?,,also you may have voided your warranty by reinstalling the malone tune..taking it back with that tune..they may not repair for free under warranty.. I think you may have jumped the gun a little to soon with the tune...blocked heater core maybe..like others
73000 on the car I have a flash zilla so I can change it back to stock whenever I want.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I posted this in the CP3 upgrade thread, but it seems appropriate to also add it here.

Good news for people with the CP3 that want the fix. I got the fix yesterday and the dealer didn't say anything about the CP3 pump and not having an auxiliary pump. The adviser said they looked hard to find anything wrong with my car, but they couldn't find anything and said my car was in great shape. They were also amazed how clean my car was, considering it has over 153,000 miles. I'm a neat nut.

Of course that doesn't settle worries about warranty after the fact, but at least I'll have my check for the fix.

I'll add that my car seemed faster as I started off for home after getting the fix, but then I realized it was in a regen with high EGT and elevated idle. It seems that simply increased the responsiveness as others have commented about in the past about behavior of the car during a regen. This morning during my commute my car seemed just like it always did. I'll let you know if my impression changes after living with the fix for a while.

GTOguy

TDI
'13 Beetle TDI 6spd, Rawtek/Malone 2.0 Eco
DStark18, I have a '13 6spd with a Malone stage 2 also that I used a flashzilla to down load from for the same reason as you, to switch back and forth when needed. I recently called the vendor that I purchased it from and they said that I can reinstall the original exhaust system and tune to get the fix but the stage 2 i have in the flashzilla wont work once the ECU has been fixed. They said I will need to down load the fix tune and send it to them and have it rewritten. And to complicate things more I got a email from Rawtek (who I did not purchase my tune from, only my exhaust) that says "Until further notice all ECUs must be bench flashed. Flashzilla will not work on "fixed" vehicles. Did you run into any of this?
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

josephbui

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
I got my 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI "fixed" on 9/20, so it has been a little over a week. So far, I'm not very happy with the changes. Other than the sound, the car drives similarly: acceleration to 60 from stopped and acceleration at speed seems about the same.

Major issues: MPG, overwhelming diesel exhaust smell, visible gray exhaust smoke that wafts into the passenger compartment when idling in traffic unless there is a breeze in the right direction.

Prior to the fix, I was getting near 40 MPG on the MFI display on my morning commute and close to 36 MPG in the evening (more traffic, less time at highway speeds). Now I'm lucky if the morning gets to 30 MPG and in the evening, it has been as low as 22 MPG. My miles driving divided by estimated consumption (about 1/4 tank left) is in agreement with the above 25% reduction in fuel economy. This is very disappointing.

The exhaust issues are even worse. The smell is overwhelming when idling in traffic, unless there is a breeze to dissipate the smoke and odor. The only option is to close the windows, turn on the AC and press the recirculate button to isolate the interior.

The smell gets stronger and weaker, and is sometimes noticeable when driving at city speeds (25mph). I can't see the exhaust smoke in the rear view mirror when moving faster than about 10mph.

The dealer said there might be a smell during the first tank of fuel (still on first tank), due to lubricants and oils used when fixing the exhaust system. I'm willing to wait until after the first fill up to make my final judgment, but if the smell and smoke continue, I'd consider the "fix" completely inadequate. It's bad enough to give me a headache and make me and my children feel nauseous.

I also had a 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, which I sold back to VW. If the exhaust issues can't be resolved, I'd like to get VW to buy back my '09, too.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
I got my 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI "fixed" on 9/20, so it has been a little over a week. So far, I'm not very happy with the changes. Other than the sound, the car drives similarly: acceleration to 60 from stopped and acceleration at speed seems about the same.

Major issues: MPG, overwhelming diesel exhaust smell, visible gray exhaust smoke that wafts into the passenger compartment when idling in traffic unless there is a breeze in the right direction.

Prior to the fix, I was getting near 40 MPG on the MFI display on my morning commute and close to 36 MPG in the evening (more traffic, less time at highway speeds). Now I'm lucky if the morning gets to 30 MPG and in the evening, it has been as low as 22 MPG. My miles driving divided by estimated consumption (about 1/4 tank left) is in agreement with the above 25% reduction in fuel economy. This is very disappointing.

The exhaust issues are even worse. The smell is overwhelming when idling in traffic, unless there is a breeze to dissipate the smoke and odor. The only option is to close the windows, turn on the AC and press the recirculate button to isolate the interior.

The smell gets stronger and weaker, and is sometimes noticeable when driving at city speeds (25mph). I can't see the exhaust smoke in the rear view mirror when moving faster than about 10mph.

The dealer said there might be a smell during the first tank of fuel (still on first tank), due to lubricants and oils used when fixing the exhaust system. I'm willing to wait until after the first fill up to make my final judgment, but if the smell and smoke continue, I'd consider the "fix" completely inadequate. It's bad enough to give me a headache and make me and my children feel nauseous.

I also had a 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, which I sold back to VW. If the exhaust issues can't be resolved, I'd like to get VW to buy back my '09, too.
There's something wrong with your car, exhaust clamp loose or missing, a sensor not reinstalled correctly, ect. Take it back in. What you describe is not normal.

Mike777

TDI
2013 VW Golf TDI (6MT; 2-door; black)
Nothing to report on post-fix impressions as I hadn't decided which way to go but this afternoon I signed up for the emissions modification. I really like this car too much to sell it back and based somewhat on the comments and feedback posted on this forum I now signed-up for the fix. But as a hedge, I selected mid-January as the target date to have the mods completed.
Good luck to all those have had the mods implemented and keep the feedback coming.
Cheers!

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
DStark18, I have a '13 6spd with a Malone stage 2 also that I used a flashzilla to down load from for the same reason as you, to switch back and forth when needed. I recently called the vendor that I purchased it from and they said that I can reinstall the original exhaust system and tune to get the fix but the stage 2 i have in the flashzilla wont work once the ECU has been fixed. They said I will need to down load the fix tune and send it to them and have it rewritten. And to complicate things more I got a email from Rawtek (who I did not purchase my tune from, only my exhaust) that says "Until further notice all ECUs must be bench flashed. Flashzilla will not work on "fixed" vehicles. Did you run into any of this?
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
The pre and post fix software are different, fault tables have been moved around and other changes have been made, so you cannot just flash between the files; VW designed it like this to try to make things more difficult. Good attempt. Been port flashing cars on a daily basis with the flashzilla V3, however it's not working for everyone, and in those scenarios we're taking it case by case and looking after everyone. We work very closely with our tool provider and will make sure they're all working.

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
I had the fix done about a month ago. Driven about 5,000 miles so far.

Got a flashing glow plug light, limp mode, and the “workshop” MFD message this past weekend. Turning the engine off and restarting will disable limp mode for a while but it comes back on eventually (10 miles or less).

My code reader shows P00AF:
Fault codes:
P00AF Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control "A" Module Performance

I have the dealer checking it out today. Says it may just be a wire or tube crimped. We will see and I’ll let you all know.

bherman

TDI
2010 TDI Sportswagen
About 3 weeks in to fix on my 2010 TDI wagon, auto trans, 91k miles. Happy with the fix, car runs just fine, slight drop in mpg (maybe 1-2 mpg average over 4 tanks). No noticeable change in performance or noise. So far so good.

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
I had the fix done about a month ago. Driven about 5,000 miles so far.

Got a flashing glow plug light, limp mode, and the “workshop” MFD message this past weekend. Turning the engine off and restarting will disable limp mode for a while but it comes back on eventually (10 miles or less).

My code reader shows P00AF:
Fault codes:
P00AF Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control "A" Module Performance

I have the dealer checking it out today. Says it may just be a wire or tube crimped. We will see and I’ll let you all know.
Tech said the VNT actuator is bad. Replacing entire turbo under the new warranty one day next week.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I had the fix done on Wednesday last week and received the check in the mail today! That's just 3 business days. And my car seems just fine! In fact, I can't tell any difference at all with my 2010 6-speed manual Golf. There is no change in sound or performance as far as I can tell.

In time, if I go back to tracking my mpg, I'll be able to tell you all about mpg changes. I still save all of my receipts, but I haven't recorded anything at Fuelly since about 130,000 miles. I was out of warranty on the HPFP and then changed to the CP3 pump, so it just didn't really matter to me anymore. I'm at 153,000 miles now.

josephbui

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
There's something wrong with your car, exhaust clamp loose or missing, a sensor not reinstalled correctly, ect. Take it back in. What you describe is not normal.
Thanks, yes. The glow plug lamp started flashing a couple days later and the engine lamp and "workshop" MFD message appeared on the next start up. Took it to the dealer the day after that: glow plug relay -- VW said it is not covered by the recall fix, so I had to pay for it ($450). Now the exhaust is more normal, but there is still a slight smell inside when idling. It's less big-truck-diesel, but still slightly disturbing.

I will report back when I've driven far enough to see if the fuel consumption is more reasonable. Incidentally, the car is a 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG with 60k miles.

Is it possible that the recall fix damaged the glow plug relay? I understand that the relays last anywhere from a few months to many years, and this was original, but it seems odd that it failed within a day of the recall repair.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
wow!! 450.00 for that relay.. can buy them for around 100.00...takes a few minutes to replace..I really am saddened when stealerships rip off customers..It may or may not have been the relay.. they might have just "mistakenly" disturbed some wiring near the glow plug harness

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
It's been a week since I had the fix completed and I think I've noticed a difference in my car. It's not a performance issue, it's a regen difference. I seem to get long regens with considerably lower temperatures when accelerating or simply stepping on the go peddle. It seems to last like the typical longer DPF regens I've always experienced in the car, but the EGT is much lower. It still has an elevated idle and elevated EGT at idle. It also seems to be more frequent than the DPF regen. I'm wondering if it's a NOx regen, but longer since it's a bigger unit after the fix.

I never enjoyed the regen thing, since it often happens right when I want to stop the car and I don't like shutting down when it's hot. Also, since it's not as obvious when monitoring EGT, I can end up parked before I really notice it's happening. Maybe a delete really is in my future.

berkstdi

TDI
2012 Golf 6MT TDI
I had the fix done on Wednesday last week and received the check in the mail today! That's just 3 business days. And my car seems just fine! In fact, I can't tell any difference at all with my 2010 6-speed manual Golf. There is no change in sound or performance as far as I can tell.

In time, if I go back to tracking my mpg, I'll be able to tell you all about mpg changes. I still save all of my receipts, but I haven't recorded anything at Fuelly since about 130,000 miles. I was out of warranty on the HPFP and then changed to the CP3 pump, so it just didn't really matter to me anymore. I'm at 153,000 miles now.
Ksing44. Did you do the CP3 yourself or do you have a mechanic you can refer me to in SE PA?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Ksing44. Did you do the CP3 yourself or do you have a mechanic you can refer me to in SE PA?
Les, the owner of German Diesel Motorwerks (GDM), is a master mechanic and TDI specialist. He's the best there is. He did my CP3 installation. It's about 2 hours to get to the shop from SE PA, but it's nice up there in the country and not a bad drive at all. You can have lunch at the old gas station that was converted to a diner!

German Diesel Motorwerks (GDM)