Appears to be a Fix for Gen 1 cars! Gen 2-3 are Software.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
From what I understood another proposal will be SUBMITTED within 90 days, so yes, approval/disapproval will be later on...

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Thanks for posting.

so it looks like the dealer changed out the DPF for soot leakage. (which caused P0401 error and MIL)

this early 2010 came with the one part DPF/NOX cat, and instead of ordering a new NOX cat, they cut into the parts, and welded the old NOX cat in place to the new DPF

they should have replaced the NOX cat with the new version instead of a service bay cob job. on the bright side, this action saved you the cost of a new NOX cat at the time, which is not cheap. (The NOX cat is more expensive than the DPF)

wonder how long it will take for them to decide to just put the parts kit on for the one piece design. I expect they will eventually come around and let you get your car fixed.

while they figure it out, enjoy driving your car.

Last edited:

Linkbad21

TDI
2010 vw jetta Tdi
Thanks for posting.

so it looks like the dealer changed out the DPF for soot leakage.

this early 2010 came with the one part DPF/NOX cat, and instead of ordering a new NOX cat, they cut into the parts, and welded the old NOX cat in place to the new DPF

they should have replaced the NOX cat with the new version instead of a service bay engineering cob job.

thanks for sharing. wonder how long it will take for them to decide to just put the parts kit on for the one piece design. I expect they will eventually come around and let you get your car fixed.

in the mean time, enjoy driving your car.
No thank you for the Information! You helped me alot figuring why. FYI the dealership is actual Volkswagen that did it... I hope hopefully soon! I told them to let me know when they find out what they're going to do but I'll call here in the month and see if they can Fix it because im pretty much on a 2 month waiting period to get my Approved emissions fix... I understand to have them by my car back but I really like this car

Petra's cousin

TDI
Mk VI TDI Golf Wagon
They're finally rolling out the Gen 1 fixes up in Canada, I booked my car in last Monday for the fix. 2011 Golf Wagon (same as the JSW), ~135 000 km right now and I've owned it for a little over a year. My experience has been ~40 imperial MPG in the summer, 35 in the winter (summer works out to about 7.2-7.4 l/100km or 32 MPG using the smaller US gallon size) for my mixed city driving and my only long trip at lower speeds last summer was around 50 imperial MPG (or just cracking under 5.0 l/100km or 47 mpg) prior to the fix.

Observations so far:

1) took the tech under 4 hours to do the work (dropped before 10am, called before 2 pm)
2) no real mileage observations yet, I think the trip computer showed ~7.4 l/100km in the few hundred km after the fix, I'll get long highway data this weekend to compare to the 5.0 l/100km from last year
3) seems to be lots of off or light throttle shuddering (random in traffic, but I think I've also noticed it on the short highway stints I do in town, but all clustered around 2000 RPM) that wasn't there before except randomly as the car warmed up and sometimes when the DPF was regenerating

In Canada, if you bought your car after the September announcement from VW that they were cheating, your only option is the fix and half the restitution amount. My cheque showed up today (1 week) after the repair was completed.

John

Linkbad21

TDI
2010 vw jetta Tdi
They're finally rolling out the Gen 1 fixes up in Canada, I booked my car in last Monday for the fix. 2011 Golf Wagon (same as the JSW), ~135 000 km right now and I've owned it for a little over a year. My experience has been ~40 imperial MPG in the summer, 35 in the winter (summer works out to about 7.2-7.4 l/100km or 32 MPG using the smaller US gallon size) for my mixed city driving and my only long trip at lower speeds last summer was around 50 imperial MPG (or just cracking under 5.0 l/100km or 47 mpg) prior to the fix.

Observations so far:

1) took the tech under 4 hours to do the work (dropped before 10am, called before 2 pm)
2) no real mileage observations yet, I think the trip computer showed ~7.4 l/100km in the few hundred km after the fix, I'll get long highway data this weekend to compare to the 5.0 l/100km from last year
3) seems to be lots of off or light throttle shuddering (random in traffic, but I think I've also noticed it on the short highway stints I do in town, but all clustered around 2000 RPM) that wasn't there before except randomly as the car warmed up and sometimes when the DPF was regenerating

In Canada, if you bought your car after the September announcement from VW that they were cheating, your only option is the fix and half the restitution amount. My cheque showed up today (1 week) after the repair was completed.

John
Oh Wow..Im still waiting for a Answer from Volkswagen what there going to do about My 1 Gen 2010 vw jetta tdi..Hope you enjoy your Fix!

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
Just received my 2009 jetta tdi AT DSG ( built date 10/08 ) from the VW dealership.
My experience wasn't that bad. I dropped it off 2 weeks ago and they gave me a loaner. That afternoon I received a phone call and due to having the kits from 2micron, the "Contain Flow filter and the Pureflow kit." they advised me that they couldnt do the emission recall. The dealership is 2 hrs away and I told them I would drive in the morning and remove them so they could go ahead do the emission recall.
They told be that they would be happy to remove it for the cost of a hose and labor. Its a 2 hour drive, so I told them to go ahead and remove them and return the car back to originally. Price was going to be around $200.

They next day they called and they removed everything and they could not get the car started after the removal of the 2micron kits.

I drove the 2 hrs to the dealership to find out what happen. I contacted Andrew from 2micron and he replied quickly while I was at the dealership giving me advice on what possibly happened... Andrew figure out what went wrong, but the service tech didnt have the knowledge to do what Andrew asked him to do.

Apparently the dealership messed up my fuel pump. I told them that the fuel pump was working fine when I drove the car there. The service advisor said he would speak with his manager about the situation. He called me back and said that they would take care of the fuel pump and labor.

Well 2 weeks after dropping off my car, I picked it up today.
Everything went well, drove great. They had no problem with the emission recall or with the DSG flash. They even wash and hand wax my car because of all the inconvenience that went through.

The dealership went out of there way to get a customer happy... :)

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
My experience wasn't that bad
They chunked your fuel pump... that could have been extremely bad. Aftermarket parts could have been pointed at, it's not unlike them to blame someone else. Glad you got out unscathed.

Woza

TDI
2009 Jetta CR DSG. 2002 Jetta scrapped The ALH engine is being used in my Project
Hey All how many of you have been told by VW USA that you have to take the buy back. I was told that yesterday by a clerk at VW USA resolutions.
My 2009 TDI CR DSG has been at the dealer for 6 weeks due to when they did the CPU flash the mechanic got an ERROR. VW USA told the dealer to park the Jetta in their yard. I stirred the pot with Doug the VW USA rep to get things moving. That is when Laura from VW USA called me yesterday and told me that there is no fix for the 2009 and I have no option but to take the buy back.
MEH to me this is VW USA BULLEYING me into the buy back when I asked for the fix. The Jetta has 120k on the clock and has been serviced buy the dealers in my area.
Anybody else on the forum being held hostage by the ****** coporate VW USA. The dealer has to toe the line and they gave me a loaner.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Hey All how many of you have been told by VW USA that you have to take the buy back. I was told that yesterday by a clerk at VW USA resolutions.

My 2009 TDI CR DSG has been at the dealer for 6 weeks due to when they did the CPU flash the mechanic got an ERROR. VW USA told the dealer to park the Jetta in their yard. I stirred the pot with Doug the VW USA rep to get things moving. That is when Laura from VW USA called me yesterday and told me that there is no fix for the 2009 and I have no option but to take the buy back.

MEH to me this is VW USA BULLEYING me into the buy back when I asked for the fix. The Jetta has 120k on the clock and has been serviced buy the dealers in my area.

Anybody else on the forum being held hostage by the ****** coporate VW USA. The dealer has to toe the line and they gave me a loaner.
There is a thread dedicated to this issue here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=481237

I have copied your post into that thread. Please continue discussion of this specific topic in that thread.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Petra's cousin

TDI
Mk VI TDI Golf Wagon

Observations so far:

John
Highway data from last weekend - heading west (the downhill way:)) I had an indicated 5.7 l/100km (5.0 l/100km on the actual trip plus 200km of city driving), hand calc'd the actual to be 6.2 l/100km. On the way back/east, indicated 5.2 l/100km, hand calc'd actual to be 5.5 l/100km (all highway driving). Since I bought the car in the summer of 2016, its been within 1 l/100km or dead on. I'll watch it a few more tanks in the city then will probably adjust the factor for the fuel computer.

John

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
...Observations so far:
3) seems to be lots of off or light throttle shuddering (random in traffic, but I think I've also noticed it on the short highway stints I do in town, but all clustered around 2000 RPM) that wasn't there before except randomly as the car warmed up and sometimes when the DPF was regenerating...
I think the more frequent shuddering might be from more frequent NOx regenerating cycles or other types of fuel injection events controlled by the ECU. I seem to have much more frequent short bursts of higher EGT after the fix. When those EGT bursts occur, there are also typically some subtle but noticeable changes in power delivery.

Last edited:

Petra's cousin

TDI
Mk VI TDI Golf Wagon
I think the more frequent shuddering might be from more frequent NOx regenerating cycles or other types of fuel injection events controlled by the ECU. I seem to have much more frequent short bursts of higher EGT after the fix. When those EGT bursts occur, there are also typically some subtle but noticeable changes in power delivery.
I was thinking something similar - just picked up a cable from Rosstech, so I'm going to try to figure out what to log to see if I can pick up which output is spiking (or alternatively, which device is overshooting its control input). My other thought was to pull the exhaust flap to see if its plugged up again (it was replaced last September, not sure if they replaced it again during the fix), if it is it could be causing control issues.

John

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I was thinking something similar - just picked up a cable from Rosstech, so I'm going to try to figure out what to log to see if I can pick up which output is spiking (or alternatively, which device is overshooting its control input). My other thought was to pull the exhaust flap to see if its plugged up again (it was replaced last September, not sure if they replaced it again during the fix), if it is it could be causing control issues.
John
It would great if you figure out what's happening! It is what it is, but it would be nice to know.

I'm sure I remember that the exhaust flap was supposed to be replaced with the fix. I had just been getting mine lubricated, but I think it's the new version now.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I thought the exhaust flap was a separate recall but I could be confused.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I thought the exhaust flap was a separate recall but I could be confused.
I think it was a warranty extension, not a recall, but the warranty was only until 120K miles. After that you were on your own, except I think it was being upgraded with the fix if you didn't already have the new version.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
It from both regen of DPF or Nox. If you had polar FIS you would know which one it is.