Status hearing w/ Judge is F 12/16 - check this link for transcript of meeting

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (gone), 2014 Passat TDI (gone), 2014 Touareg TDI (Amazing!)
Where is the saint from the 2.0 deal, loved the play by play!

Looks like you had to sign up a day in advance for attending remotely...

jking11

TDI
14-Touareg & 14-Q5
Ugh....not yet!

Volkswagen Group is nearing a settlement to compensate consumers who own a second batch of diesel vehicles fitted with bogus emissions software that were not included in the automaker's nearly $15 billion deal approved in October, a federal judge said Friday.

U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer delayed a hearing where he was expected to get updates on settlement talks regarding about 80,000 3-liter diesel vehicles.

He instructed negotiators for the German automaker and plaintiffs to continue their talks in hopes of reaching a deal.

"I want to see whether or not we can arrive at a resolution," Breyer said.

The judge rescheduled the 1 p.m. ET hearing for 5 p.m. ET.

Taken from USA Today.

Last edited:

DrgRnnr

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
seriously... okay another 4 hours. twiddle twiddle twiddle.

CSR Penfab

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux Tdi
Let's hope the delay of only 4 hours vs. postponing the hearing for another month or so is a good sign that they're going to hammer out a settlement today! I say buyback for all 3.0's is the only fair and equitable thing for VW to do at this point.

tdiesling

TDI
2014 Audi A7 Tdi, 2016 Mercedes Sprinter (CDI) 2500 4x4 (DBA as a 2017 Roadtrek SS Agile), (Sold: 2000 Golf Tdi, 1985 Quantum Td, 1980 Rabbit Diesel (totaled)) 2012 Golf Tdi (Emissions purgatory)
A little news

VW agrees to pay $200 million to offset U.S. emissions

David Shepardson | WASHINGTON
Volkswagen AG has agreed to pay just over $200 million to offset emissions from about 80,000 3.0 liter diesel U.S. vehicles, a person briefed on the settlement told Reuters.

The agreement is expected to be announced as early as Friday, and is in addition to $2.7 billion that VW previously agreed to pay to offset emissions from about 475,000 2.0 liter diesel vehicles. U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer on Friday delayed a hearing until later in the day so negotiations can continue over reaching a final resolution on the 3.0 liter vehicles.

A sticking point over a comprehensive deal has been how much VW will agree to offer owners in compensation for getting vehicles repaired or selling them back. Talks among Volkswagen, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission and lawyers for the suing owners have gone on for weeks.

Reuters reported on Nov. 15 that Volkswagen had reached agreement with U.S. regulators for a mix of buybacks and fixes for the 80,000 polluting Audi, Porsche and VW 3.0-liter vehicles. The agreement includes a buy-back offer for about 20,000 older Audi and VW SUVs and a software fix for 60,000 newer Porsche, Audi and VW cars and SUVs, the sources said.

A separate, more complex fix is expected to be offered for the older vehicles.

With the $200 million to offset 3.0 liter emissions, Volkswagen has agreed to spend up to $16.7 billion to resolve U.S. diesel emissions cheating allegations. Volkswagen is also expected to face billions in fines as part of a separate potential settlement with the Justice Department to resolve an ongoing criminal investigation and a civil suit alleging civil violations of the Clean Air Act.

(Reporting by David Shepardson; Editing by Chris Reese and Dan Grebler)

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-idUSKBN1452F0

Last edited:

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
That twitter feed seems to be a great connection, live tweeting the hearing, Thanks!!

jlw2000

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Sport
Any idea what constitutes an old vs. new 3.0 TDI? I have a '13 T-reg Sport TDI. Curious if that's one of the 'older' engines.

ccbsecu

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Executive TDi
Any idea what constitutes an old vs. new 3.0 TDI? I have a '13 T-reg Sport TDI. Curious if that's one of the 'older' engines.
VW announced no fix for 2012 and prior models....meaning they believe they can fix the 2013 and newer models....

After this was announced - the CAS attorney released a statement a settlement between owners and VW had not yet been finalized.

zhang1d

TDI
2015 Touareg
A little news

VW agrees to pay $200 million to offset U.S. emissions

David Shepardson | WASHINGTON
Volkswagen AG has agreed to pay just over $200 million to offset emissions from about 80,000 3.0 liter diesel U.S. vehicles, a person briefed on the settlement told Reuters.

The agreement is expected to be announced as early as Friday, and is in addition to $2.7 billion that VW previously agreed to pay to offset emissions from about 475,000 2.0 liter diesel vehicles. U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer on Friday delayed a hearing until later in the day so negotiations can continue over reaching a final resolution on the 3.0 liter vehicles.

A sticking point over a comprehensive deal has been how much VW will agree to offer owners in compensation for getting vehicles repaired or selling them back. Talks among Volkswagen, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission and lawyers for the suing owners have gone on for weeks.

Reuters reported on Nov. 15 that Volkswagen had reached agreement with U.S. regulators for a mix of buybacks and fixes for the 80,000 polluting Audi, Porsche and VW 3.0-liter vehicles. The agreement includes a buy-back offer for about 20,000 older Audi and VW SUVs and a software fix for 60,000 newer Porsche, Audi and VW cars and SUVs, the sources said.

A separate, more complex fix is expected to be offered for the older vehicles.

With the $200 million to offset 3.0 liter emissions, Volkswagen has agreed to spend up to $16.7 billion to resolve U.S. diesel emissions cheating allegations. Volkswagen is also expected to face billions in fines as part of a separate potential settlement with the Justice Department to resolve an ongoing criminal investigation and a civil suit alleging civil violations of the Clean Air Act.

(Reporting by David Shepardson; Editing by Chris Reese and Dan Grebler)

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-idUSKBN1452F0

$200M don't add up unless they are thinking to buy back the 20,000 older 3.0 at $10K each and offer $0 compensation to the 60,000 newer owners.

DrgRnnr

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
"Volkswagen AG has agreed to pay just over $200 million to offset emissions from about 80,000 3.0 liter diesel U.S. vehicles, a person briefed on the settlement told Reuters."

Those dollars are for gov't programs not the owners.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
I feel a screwing coming on.

ALL TDI models should be available for buy-back. No fix. BUY BACK.
I'd rather keep my Touareg and put a little extra cash in my pocket.

jlw2000

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Sport
I'd rather keep my Touareg and put a little extra cash in my pocket.
One theory: there will so few of them they actually become quite valuable on the used market, eventually.

But it should really be a choice to keep or sell back. No fix for me if avoidable.

I've only owned VW's since 2001. But no more.

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
And, away, we, GO!!!

Were making dreams come true...... Billy (Breyer) on the Street!

Last edited:

bird67

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI*
Everyone involved in the negotiations - VW, class counsel, the court - is acutely aware of public perception and reception to what these negotiations produce. So it is very important that class counsel hear from you. They will be negotating, for us, nonstop through the weekend. Email them to let them know you want them to stand up for us. That means preserving for ALL 3.0 owners the choice of no-fix, fix, or buy-back. I may not choose the buyback, ultimately - I'm likely to wait a year give-or-take and see how the "fix" is holding up - but I want to know if the fix turns out to be an illusion or worse, I have the option of making VW buy it back.

Email address: info@vwclasscounsel.com

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I think the attorneys wanted the weekend work to pad their Christmas fund and year end bonus.

It's surprising to me that this issue could not have been worked out by now. It's not rocket science. :rolleyes:

bird67

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI*
I think the attorneys wanted the weekend work to pad their Christmas fund and year end bonus.
It's surprising to me that this issue could not have been worked out by now. It's not rocket science. :rolleyes:
Cannot imagine why you're crapping on the lawyers. The lawyers are the only thing standing between VW cramming a crappy deal down the throats of we 3.0 owners. They are our best friends in this mess. The government, the court, VW all serve their own interests. The lawyers protect ours.
And this isn't rockets science to figure out why it hasn't been worked out by now:
VW: We refuse to buy back the 3.0s after 2011. We can fix them.
Class counsel: Bull****. You still don't have a fix for the 2.0. Any settlement for the 3.0 must have a buyback option.
VW: Trust us.
Class counsel: Ummmm....no.
Court: Keep trying.

bird67

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI*
So what's the forum wisdom here? What do we think is going to happen?
My post from the other active 3.0 thread, below. I predict VW, and not the class lawyers, blinks first:
Completely without any basis or facts to back this up, here's what I think is going on:
Over the past few weeks since the last hearing there have been hints that VW has a fix for the newer 3.0s and thus there is no need for a buyback. I believe those are orchestrated leaks by VW to shape public expectations. As they approached this new deadline, VW has taken the position in the negotiations that no buyback option for the newer 3.0s is necessary.
The class lawyers, hearing feedback from we 3.0 owners, are holding fast. They are insisting that any settlement include an option for all 3.0 buyers to opt for a buyback. They reason, aptly, that if the fix is as effective as VW claims without any adverse impact on performance or longevity, fewer 3.0 owners will opt for the buyout and instead choose the fix.
So, 3.0 owners, now is the time to let class counsel be heard that you want the option of a buyback, that a "fix" as the only option is not acceptable. Class counsel cares what we think - we are, after all, the constituency - and whatever VW offers us has to be enough to entice us to either "fix" our 3.0s or get them off the road through buy-back.
So you heard it hear first - quite possibly utterly wrong and certainly only speculation, but that's what VW gets for continuing to keep us in the dark!!