When do you think we will hear anything about incentives to stay with VW?

yehaman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Don't care what they would offer, they can keep their ****!
+1

I'm just a little disappointed since I've been a huge Audi fan over the years and am thinking of just bailing on picking up the A6 I've been wanting for a few years now over the way they've handled this whole situation. Was hoping they were going to offer a very attractive offer for a VAG product. Might just have to walk away, just that there is nothing out there except for maybe the Acura RLX Sport Hybrid that interests me.

Ramonbo89

TDI
2015 Jetta S
I am waiting to hear about incentives and hope we get some decent ones to stay with them. I understand people are upset but I think we are getting a good deal out of this...some people are making out big, some are breaking even, and there is a small minority that feel like they are getting screwed royally.

You can't please everyone unfortunately...on the other hand I had to trade in my old gas guzzler for the TDI and went under by $5000 to begin with...thanks to a daily 180 mile roundtrip commute from work....now with the introduction of government funded van pools...my monthly mileage went from almost 3,000 to maybe 300 miles a month.

On top of that VW is paying off my loan up to 120%....yeah I am taking the buyback...its bitter sweet considering how much I had to bend over getting a new car in the beginning for the job I took.

So yeah I am looking forward to possibly getting an amazing deal on a golf...fingers crossed

yehaman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Let me clarify, I'm not really upset.

With the buyback, this car will have only cost me about 6k over the past 4 years/just shy of 70k miles. Obviously, that does not include fuel, tires, services, etc which would come with any car.

The thing that annoys me is that they outright lied, and have put me in a position that if I want to maximize my best interest I have to wait it out. We're all sort of locked up, sure we can go buy another car but then you have another vehicle to maintain and shuffle around your yard/driveway.

On a side note, the torque makes the car enjoyable to drive. The range is phenomenal and even when driving spirited, and the Passat's have a crazy amount of room inside..their very comfortable. On the flip side, the fit/finish is crap, their is the most annoying rattle from the passenger vent that I can't get resolved, and my car seems to be affected by electric gremlins from time to time....nothing severe yet but just random weirdness like wipes coming on a bluebird day or the passenger mirror not working one day, then Kessy not working a week later...then a few days later everything works fine.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
How many here bought their vehicle because it was a VW, vs. because it was a TDI?

I bought mine (my first VW) because I wanted a diesel, and because VW had the most experience (and best reputation) building them.

My point is that since VW is abandoning diesels (at least short term) perhaps they figure diesel buyers want diesels, and VW buyers will stay without incentives...
Me. I bought mine for what it did, not what it was. This is also the only reason I am considering a Alltrack, for what it does. No small SUV can give me the room that this car does. The Outback doesn't drive nearly as well, it is a great all wheel drive dishwasher (appliance). While I am upset at VW, I am not going to spite myself by not considering the best option for me. Now, when will we see the stick???

Ramonbo89

TDI
2015 Jetta S
I am look at that all track as well. I really do think they will offer incentives once the Buyback is in full swing as in people getting scheduled.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
VWoA listed their November incentives....standard stuff. Nothing I can see with regards to the TDI crowd.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
VWoA listed their November incentives....standard stuff. Nothing I can see with regards to the TDI crowd.
I think any incentives offered by VW will be for anyone who walks in the door, so what you see as the current offer is all there is going to be. VW must sedulously avoid any appearance of linking the buyback with the sale of a new car. Anything that even hints at being contingent ("IF you take this check and buy a new VW, THEN we will knock $XXXX off sticker") will bring the court down on them like a ton of bricks.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Maybe some dealers will offer a "check cashing service", with a minus 10% service charge if you apply the cash toward a car in inventory.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
I think any incentives offered by VW will be for anyone who walks in the door, so what you see as the current offer is all there is going to be. VW must sedulously avoid any appearance of linking the buyback with the sale of a new car. Anything that even hints at being contingent ("IF you take this check and buy a new VW, THEN we will knock $XXXX off sticker") will bring the court down on them like a ton of bricks.
This makes no sense at all, and is actually counterintuitive.

If their common goal is to get the cars off the road, why would they oppose incentives to do ... just that?

They wouldn't be making it contingent, per se, just sweetening the pot and thus making it an appealing and wise decision to remain with VW in making a replacement choice.

Not "linking" but enticing.

The fact there have been none at this late stage in the game is troubling and reeks of backroom deals & edicts.

Last edited:

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
I visited two different dealers over the past weeks. One told me VW would not be offering any incentives because we are getting "free money" and buyback people will be scrambling for new VWs

the other one told me they couldn't offer anything specific, they have to offer it to all VW owners (I don't think thats right though, I think he probably means all TDI owners, regardless of buyback or fix) but that they can't advertise anything, so we would have to come in and ask about it...which sort of lines up with what you are saying

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
I visited two different dealers over the past weeks. One told me VW would not be offering any incentives because we are getting "free money" and buyback people will be scrambling for new VWs

the other one told me they couldn't offer anything specific, they have to offer it to all VW owners (I don't think thats right though, I think he probably means all TDI owners, regardless of buyback or fix) but that they can't advertise anything, so we would have to come in and ask about it...which sort of lines up with what you are saying
They just want you to buy a car now or come in person later to hear about their wonderful offers. They know once you leave you can go to another dealership and buy a car. And odds are best if they convince you to buy a car on the spot or convince you to come back in person later to hear their sale spiel.

jking11

TDI
14-Touareg & 14-Q5
Audi results

Doesn't look like Audi will be as motivated to discount as VW.

"Audi set another monthly record in October, its 70th straight. With that, sales to date for 2016 rise 2.9 percent over 2015."

ivebeeneverywhere

TDI
2011 JSW 6MT (buyback someday)
I got tired of waiting, plus all the changes in the packaging on models was increasingly frustrating. You can get blind spot monitoring on a Sportwagen, but not an Alltrack. We'll offer a driver's assistance package, but depending on trim level this means different things.

I wanted to buy another Volvo, as we love my wife's XC60, and they were the first to offer an incentive to TDI owners, but I didn't want to spend that much.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
Maybe some dealers will offer a "check cashing service", with a minus 10% service charge if you apply the cash toward a car in inventory.
There is a better chance of the dealer saying, we will give you an extra 10% if you apply it to a car in inventory.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
If their (corporate) thinking is "the settlement itself is a generous incentive", they'll likely find themselves disappointed--I can take that buyback cash anywhere else; I don't have to spend it with VW.
I used to work for (an american arm of) a German company. When the big boss was visiting once, I remember the sales manager talking to him about pricing, and Herr bossman said "well, they'll just have to pay more." like duhh, what's the alternative? Well, the alternative is another brand! Now, VW has a full on American wing, not just a couple guys in an office like my situation, so I'm sure there are some voices of reason around, but I would not be shocked if they just thought they've done enough already.

Me. I bought mine for what it did, not what it was. This is also the only reason I am considering a Alltrack, for what it does. No small SUV can give me the room that this car does. The Outback doesn't drive nearly as well, it is a great all wheel drive dishwasher (appliance). While I am upset at VW, I am not going to spite myself by not considering the best option for me. Now, when will we see the stick???
I'm told Q1 2017! 6 speed Sportwagon 4motions too. Granted, that's a 3 month window, but if I can schedule my buy back for March or April, then I should be golden.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I am not particularly impressed by German attempts to do business in the USA. The Germans took a bath on their purchase of A&P supermarkets, and we all know how well they did with Chrysler.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
I am not particularly impressed by German attempts to do business in the USA. The Germans took a bath on their purchase of A&P supermarkets, and we all know how well they did with Chrysler.
Dumb racist statement. So BMW and Mercededes are failures? VW is biggest car company in the world. Germans own Trader Joe's and Aldo's. SAP is German. Bayer is German. Addidas is German. Wusthof German. Idiot racist.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
At the software company that I worked for in the past, there was us and 2 other competitors in the market (it was a very small, focused market).

When each of the companies were marketing upgrades, requiring our customers to purchase upgraded hardware and software, the sales
buzz phrase was, "Be careful forcing customers to make an additional investment, and making a choice, they may decide to make a choice toward the competition."

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
Volkswagen may be very successful elsewhere in the world, but their operation in the USA is pretty lame.

I guess I will be attacked again by the Teutonic anti-Defamation League.

Last edited:

turboboost1

Veteran Member
TDI
None, Did the buyback

I find it hard to imagine the arrogance of VW to think that buyback people will be scrambling for new VW's.. It's that attitude that got them into this situation in the first place. I will never own another VW product. I simply cannot support a company with such low ethical standards

Archive

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Just received this from my dealer.

We received good news on October 25th, finally. The settlement has been approved and Volkswagen of America is moving forward with the buy backs and early lease terminations. With this news, you will need to log back into the www.vwcourtsettlement.com website to finalize your offer. The November 1st date for an appointment was a cutoff for them to take mileage and calculate a settlement offer to you. Now that the settlement has been agreed upon by the judge, an acceptance offer needs to be sent into Volkswagen. This is an acceptance letter that is through the court settlement website. This must be notarized and returned to them before an in-dealership appointment will be made to receive your money. We are offering this notary service to our TDI customers free of charge.

For those of you who want to continue your relationship with Volkswagen, we are working on a TDI only in-house program. Further information will be available at your turn in date. We are also welcoming customers to come in and try out the new engines. Yes, the mpg is not as high as your TDI model, but you might be pleasantly surprised with the new gas engines both in power and fuel economy.
We will try to answer any and all questions regarding the settlement process to make this as painless as possible.

We look forward to assisting you with the end of diesel gate and putting this behind us. It has been as long of a road for us as it has been for you.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey

We received good news on October 25th, finally. The settlement has been approved and Volkswagen of America is moving forward with the buy backs and early lease terminations. With this news, you will need to log back into the www.vwcourtsettlement.com website to finalize your offer. The November 1st date for an appointment was a cutoff for them to take mileage and calculate a settlement offer to you. Now that the settlement has been agreed upon by the judge, an acceptance offer needs to be sent into Volkswagen. This is an acceptance letter that is through the court settlement website. This must be notarized and returned to them before an in-dealership appointment will be made to receive your money. We are offering this notary service to our TDI customers free of charge.

For those of you who want to continue your relationship with Volkswagen, we are working on a TDI only in-house program. Further information will be available at your turn in date. We are also welcoming customers to come in and try out the new engines. Yes, the mpg is not as high as your TDI model, but you might be pleasantly surprised with the new gas engines both in power and fuel economy.
We will try to answer any and all questions regarding the settlement process to make this as painless as possible.

We look forward to assisting you with the end of diesel gate and putting this behind us. It has been as long of a road for us as it has been for you.
That is well thought and makes sense. I buy that this is pretty accurate. Thanks for sharing.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk

Here's to hoping my dealer is as up front and cordial as yours appears to be..

71sbeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
1971 Super Beetle, 2014 Golf TDI (soon to be 2017 Golf Wolfsburg), 2015 Silverado LT
Was just told there's an additional $1000 loyalty now

yehaman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
My Adblue was 700 miles from 0 countdown, so swung by my dealer on my way home from a quick business trip down to NY. (fun ride back- but that will be for another story after I get the kids down to bed and take care of the honey do list). Grabbed some Adblue (super cheap) and quickly spoke to their internet manager whom informed me VW isn't announced anything for us. She seemed bummed, business is slow and that's that....

She asked me if there was anything I was interested in there, since she knows I'll be turning in my passat. I felt bad responding "nope", and told her I was just asking for everyone on the forum whom is/are interested. She called me last week about this, nothing has changed.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
I am. I've owned many VWs beginning with the old air cooled beetles, a Golf and a BMW in the '80s, and my current VW and Audi TDIs. I'm a big fan of German cars.

Anyone who is unaware of the powerful influence of German engineering and performance simply doesn't know anything about the automobile industry.

MB S class sedans far exceed anything offered by US manufacturers and the performance and handling of BMWs sets the standard.

My wife owns a new JEEP Grand Cherokee which shares a body and architecture with MB suvs and the large Dodge suv platform.

petsur

TDI
2009 Jetta
Dumb racist statement. So BMW and Mercededes are failures? VW is biggest car company in the world. Germans own Trader Joe's and Aldo's. SAP is German. Bayer is German. Addidas is German. Wusthof German. Idiot racist.
You must be a rocket scientist!! Racist statement, OMFG....