Stripping the Turn Ins

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
It's troubling to me to read the comments here by members who like to believe VWoA perpetrated a fraud against them openly discuss stripping their cars of valuable parts before turning them in for a fixed buy back price based on value a year ago.

Was VW's deception of the EPA a fraud but it's ethical to steal parts off the car VW is willing to buy back from us?

It may be humorous to read these threads after buy back begins. I wonder how the VW rep will treat stripped cars? Will it be considered an outrage if VW refuses to buy those cars back?

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
You miss the point that the state of the car is specified in the court document. Legally, meet the standard in the document, you've done everything legally required, there is no theft involved.

Were a company to own a fleet of these cars, their fiduciary responsibility would be to strip the cars to obtain the most value for their shareholders, if that nets them more overall cash from the transaction.

The rep will treat the cars the same, if they meet the court definition of operable, they accept it. Were they to not accept it, they will have more heat than they want, so they have no real interest in fighting over dents, missing bits, "artwork".

If a court document operable under the terms of the CAS is not accepted, yes, VW is violating the settlement. You are obligated to meet the letter of the settlement, nothing more.

ChimneyJim

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 SportWagen SEL
I hadn't even contemplated removing anything already on the car. But now that I think about it it may be worth the effort to offer my Lighting Package lights to someone for their halogens plus cash.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Regardless of how one views the ethics of stripping their car of parts other than rims/tires/floor mats/aftermarket add ons, stripped cars will be destroyed. Not at all an environmentally friendly action by those who purport to be outraged by dieselgate.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
It's troubling to me to read the comments here by members who like to believe VWoA perpetrated a fraud against them openly discuss stripping their cars of valuable parts before turning them in for a fixed buy back price based on value a year ago.
Was VW's deception of the EPA a fraud but it's ethical to steal parts off the car VW is willing to buy back from us?
It may be humorous to read these threads after buy back begins. I wonder how the VW rep will treat stripped cars? Will it be considered an outrage if VW refuses to buy those cars back?
.....as I know zip about the future

.....I will be watching too.

.....keeping in mind the "stated" rule is it must be drivable on its' own power.

.....I can see ROAD KILL, 5 cracked windows, doggie, smelly, banged up, 300K mile cars passing the test with no problems.

.....now we might see a "nice" car with the wheels swapped out.

.....opinions?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I was going to take the mats out of the Golf since I've worn through them on the JSW, but my wife still has about $400 on her goodwill card. So I guess I will have to break down and buy new mats to last me at least 18 months. Then it will be fix or goodbye time for the JSW.

Rexwell

TDI
2013 JSW (R.I.P. - buyback)

What's more troubling to me is the fact that some folks think that VW is doing us a favor by buying these cars back, and stand in judgement of those who are even considering keeping or swapping parts.

VW is doing a buyback because of a court order, not out of the "kindness of their hearts." They are not "willing" to buy these cars back, they are being forced to. Do you really think a buyback like this would have happened without intervention from the Feds?

A dealer recently told me what great care VW is taking of us by offering so much money... I call BS. VW is doing only what they must do in order to get the feds off their backs and very little else beyond that from my perspective.

At any point in time between buying my TDI and today I might have sold off or removed any number of parts/accessories from the car. It makes no difference to VW whether I take things off now to put in my next ride or sold the spare to someone two years ago...they'll get what they get when the car is turned in according to the stipulations of the court order.

I for one will be able to sleep just fine doing as I please with my personal property. The rest falls under VW dealing with the consequences of their actions and "buyer beware."

Cheers!

Rexwell

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
There is a difference between taking out some worn floor mats, which are not part of the car, versus removing actual components of the car.

I got two sets of wheels/tires with my car. Needless to say, I will not be returning it with both sets of wheels, and am deciding which ones I will return it with. However, as the agreed turn back value is based on the NADA value of a used car, the car should be returned with all the components normally incorporated into a used car.

And if you don't like that, you should have opted out, or accepted a fix.

The "condition does not matter" clause is intended to benefit you, so that if something is broken, there will not be a deduction. But to take that as a license to strip the car reflects a defect of character.

You are also probably the guys who went home with their pockets stuffed full of ketchup packets from a restaurant.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
I see a remake of The Blues Brothers with Jettas as the cop cars. That movie destroyed a large number of Dodge Monaco cop cars.
It's 106 Kilometers to Munich, we have a half a pack of cigarettes, a full talk of petrol, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses. Mach Schnell!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
There is a difference between taking out some worn floor mats, which are not part of the car, versus removing actual components of the car.

I got two sets of wheels/tires with my car. Needless to say, I will not be returning it with both sets of wheels, and am deciding which ones I will return it with. However, as the agreed turn back value is based on the NADA value of a used car, the car should be returned with all the components normally incorporated into a used car.

And if you don't like that, you should have opted out, or accepted a fix.

The "condition does not matter" clause is intended to benefit you, so that if something is broken, there will not be a deduction. But to take that as a license to strip the car reflects a defect of character.

You are also probably the guys who went home with their pockets stuffed full of ketchup packets from a restaurant.
Lol. Well said. They will probably clear out the dealership bathrooms of tp when they show up for the buyback. :)

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Not stripping but swapping

I was looking at an all electric option for my next vehicle but decided that it is a few years away from being the right time to switch, so instead I want to keep cost down while waiting. I posted this question in the MK7 section but will ask here also for additional thoughts. Post below:
Swapping Bi-Xenon's from 2015 Golf TDI to 2017 Golf
Can it be done? I have several TDI's that will be turned in this Nov. One is a 2015 Golf TDI with lighting package. I travel 30 miles at each night through poorly lit country roads and think VW halogen are poor at best. On the other hand I love the Bi-Xenons.
I have decided I will purchase a manual 2017 Golf Wolfsburg which does not have a lighting package option. My question is can I exchange the halogen system in my 17 Golf for the Xenon package on my TDI.
Would they fit and what issues could I encounter?
Thanks for your input!

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
Not 'stripping' any of mine but nothing says I can't swap the brakes and rotors off a low miles 14 Beetle and put them on a 10 Jetta lol...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Lol. Well said. They will probably clear out the dealership bathrooms of tp when they show up for the buyback. :)
Ohh please, tell me you've never shoved your pockets full of those K cups and packets of sugar/splenda every time you visit the dealer :D

Don't even get me started about free pens at TD bank, if they are gonna offer 0.08% interest on their savings accounts, you better believe I'm never wanting for a pen, ever!

shovelhd

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
I was looking at an all electric option for my next vehicle but decided that it is a few years away from being the right time to switch, so instead I want to keep cost down while waiting. I posted this question in the MK7 section but will ask here also for additional thoughts. Post below:
Swapping Bi-Xenon's from 2015 Golf TDI to 2017 Golf
Can it be done? I have several TDI's that will be turned in this Nov. One is a 2015 Golf TDI with lighting package. I travel 30 miles at each night through poorly lit country roads and think VW halogen are poor at best. On the other hand I love the Bi-Xenons.
I have decided I will purchase a manual 2017 Golf Wolfsburg which does not have a lighting package option. My question is can I exchange the halogen system in my 17 Golf for the Xenon package on my TDI.
Would they fit and what issues could I encounter?
Thanks for your input!
I don't know how the MkVII HID's are set up but I do know about the MKVI. In that case, you would need to swap the headlight housings, ballasts, AFS motors, motor brackets, and if you don't have a high line ECM, that too. It's a significant job. If I were you, I'd just cut a deal on a Sport that comes with them.

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 BRM 5-Speed, 2013 Golf TDI 6-Speed, 2011 Golf TDI 6-Speed
I hadn't even contemplated removing anything already on the car. But now that I think about it it may be worth the effort to offer my Lighting Package lights to someone for their halogens plus cash.
I've had this same idea, i just don't know how I'd feel about it. I'd wait till the buyback begins as the lights are too good to separate from for a few months or whenever this shindig kicks off.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Exactly Gyro... I started this thread... not planning to take a car down to the frame... but if the car's destined for the crusher and they aren't going to strip it before crush and sending it to the Chinese recycling yards... it makes sense to consider what's worth your while to to take off.
I read a whole article on this and if they are scrapping the cars without takedown...how much further eco impact there is from trashing cars that aren't near the end of their lifespan.
Link to that article? Last I heard, the court had authorized VW to begin evaluating how best to recycle the vehicles. I haven't seen anything on the outcome of those recycling tests, so if you know something we don't, please share.

rbreding

TDI
2015 JSEL (buyback) 2015 PSEL (buyback) 2016 328d (keeper)
What really ticks me off is the lighting package on our 15 jetta sel we get no add on for when it is clearly an extra option from the factory.

ours may be going back missing its headlights......

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
What really ticks me off is the lighting package on our 15 jetta sel we get no add on for when it is clearly an extra option from the factory.
ours may be going back missing its headlights......
Maybe another club member has a set of halogens for you that they took off.;)
Your car is your private property so do with it as you see fit.

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
CW 2011 Golf TDI 6M Repurchased By VW 1/30/17 1985 VW GTI
The only items I am retaining are the Golf Monster Mats, the summer mats (still in the plastic bag) and the cargo net w/dividers. All excellent for later sale. :)

lvfnchs

Veteran Member
TDI
Buyback: Golf TDI 2011 / Now have Golf TDI 2015
I'm wondering if the iPod connector can be removed and put into the Mazda 3 I'm probably getting to replace the Golf TDI? I have an older iPod with a ton of memory, but it doesn't have Bluetooth. So I'd like to move the connector from the Golf to the new car. Does anyone know if that's possible, please? Thanks!

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
I'm wondering if the iPod connector can be removed and put into the Mazda 3 I'm probably getting to replace the Golf TDI? I have an older iPod with a ton of memory, but it doesn't have Bluetooth. So I'd like to move the connector from the Golf to the new car. Does anyone know if that's possible, please? Thanks!
no, the MDI interface is unique to VAG

dmcdon2851

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
Question for the original poster : does whether you behave like a decent person depend on the small print, or do you have some sense of ethics of your own?
My approach : I'm treating this like I'm selling my car. The circumstances are a little unusual, that's all. I'm going to take care of it until then, try to keep it in good condition, and return it in the best condition I can. The car will end up fixed, and resold, and someone else will ultimately benefit from a decent car.
There is a bigger picture here, and that's to avoid unnecessary waste - which trashing a decent car certainly is.
Just because the small print doesn't say I can't, that doesn't mean that I'm going to behave like a ****.
THANK YOU!!!! It is nice to see someone with a sense of ethics and proper conduct on these boards.

dmcdon2851

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
Ohh please, tell me you've never shoved your pockets full of those K cups and packets of sugar/splenda every time you visit the dealer :D
Don't even get me started about free pens at TD bank, if they are gonna offer 0.08% interest on their savings accounts, you better believe I'm never wanting for a pen, ever!
Really? Wow! You don't see anything unethical about your statement? Amazing.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I thinkg 740GLE was using a bit of sarcasm, which often does not come through in a posting. Hint the green smiley.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Link to that article? Last I heard, the court had authorized VW to begin evaluating how best to recycle the vehicles. I haven't seen anything on the outcome of those recycling tests, so if you know something we don't, please share.
VW sold about 500,000 of the affected cars. I can see a growing future demand for body parts - doors, fenders, seats, etc - as these cars age. I expect VW will part out many of the cars to yards.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Even at a normal scrapping rate when the cars get over a decade old and repairs start to exceed the cars value, most of the scrapped cars parts are never used. Front ends, tires, transmissions, etc. sell fast but there's less demand for the rear of the car, etc.. So most of the car goes to the crusher as most salvage yards don't have the space to store cars for years until someone comes along in need of obscure parts. When a whole slew of cars like the TDIs gets prematurely scrapped, it saturates the market for parts and almost all of the car goes to the crusher. This is especially so with the JSW, where something like 80% of them came with TDI power, so there's few gassers to absorb all the scrapped JSW TDI's parts.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My thought this morning is to swap the front seats from the Golf to the JSW. My wife claims the Golf seats are softer and offer better back support. Does nayone know if the front seats are interchangeable between the MK5.5 JSW and the MK6 Golf? I'm assuming that the airbag and heater plugs are the same. Wonder more about the bolt pattern.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
I'm not going to strip mine down, other than maybe take out the euro switch and a couple other things I personally added. But I'm sure as #%$& not going to clean it very well!