www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old December 3rd, 2014, 16:14   #31
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Groan.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 16:30   #32
FlyTDI Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.5/44/41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister View Post
Groan.
Priceless...

'01 Jetta GLS, 5 sp, Black on Black, Leather, Sun Roof, MFSW, Monsoon, Cold Weather Pkg., Full LED interior, always a work in progress
FlyTDI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 16:43   #33
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNXGUY View Post
Kerma is the S7...errr I mean BV43.
don't you mean bv39?
Old December 3rd, 2014, 17:03   #34
newguy2tdi

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister View Post
Just so that I'm clear about something: I've never heard of a 17/26. Are you sure it's not 1756?

http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-str...d%2CBEW/Detail
newguy2tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 17:22   #35
JDSwan87
Black Swamp Thing

Not knocking Kerma but there seems to be LOT of "outs" for denying warranty claims.
From Kerma.com
Quote:
Warranty requirements : Proof of Qualified Professional Installation and Tuning, Boost and EGT Gauges, New Oil Lines , Correct Oil, Oil Analysis Records, Proper Operation and Maintenance. Warranty is 1 year 12,000miles
(Full disclosure)--- I personally try to buy from all the vendors on this site and not pigeon hole myself with using only one vendor. Just saying, so I'm not labeled a Kerma-Basher. I actually bought my nozzles from Kerma and had them balanced also by him( Kerma/DBW). Transaction was smooth and painless.

Stella (Mine now): 2005 Shadow Blue Jetta Wagon TDI 09A
Mods: RC1. VCDS HEX-CAN USB (near Toledo, OH)
JDSwan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 18:12   #36
3turboz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37/42/48

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy2tdi View Post
Wow. I had not seen those kits. Seems like theyre made to be alot easier to install. In the table below on the Darkside page where it has the listed turbos... The "max power" listed is the power that that particular turbo is meant to withstand. If I am looking for around 200hp should i go with a small margin of safety with a vnt 17/22 (210hp) or the next turbo up (GT2052V-220hp) to avoid running it close to its max? Didn't know how much that would matter
Someone correct me on this if I am wrong (not that I have to ask, LOL) Just FYI, I think on that side of the pond the HP numbers are estimated crank HP, where we North Americans measure HP at the wheels. So when Darkside's chart shows a VNT17 is good for 200 HP and it is commonly advertised up to 170 here, that is why.

Also, according to that chart a 17 will spool faster than a 17/22, which seems to defy the whole point of the hybrid. GTB1756Vk not spooled until 2,600 RPM? That would seem unnaceptably laggy to me, but that turbo is supposed to be all the rage.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 19:07   #37
LNXGUY
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
don't you mean bv39?
See, I can't even keep all these crazy turbos straight in my head!
Old December 3rd, 2014, 19:25   #38
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Sounds like nothing more than a 17/22 with a billet wheel with those extended exducer fins on the compressor wheel.

Last edited by [486]; December 3rd, 2014 at 21:42.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 19:51   #39
dropanotherthou

Fuel Economy: 25-52.5 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNXGUY View Post
You call it negativity, I call it reality. Either way, don't get your panties in such a twist. If you don't like my opinion, you can simply ignore it. BTW, my only real sticking point that's got anything to do with Kerma is the S7...errr I mean BV43. You know what I'm sick of? Sheep.
Not sheeple sorry. I'm sick of your 2 cents that doesn't benefit anyone except your ego. S7 is borgwarners answer to the vnt17 nothing more. We all know you have a 17/22... you must feel so proud of yourself. Anything above s7/vnt17 means exponentially more money.
dropanotherthou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 20:05   #40
LNXGUY
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropanotherthou View Post
Not sheeple sorry. I'm sick of your 2 cents that doesn't benefit anyone except your ego. S7 is borgwarners answer to the vnt17 nothing more. We all know you have a 17/22... you must feel so proud of yourself. Anything above s7/vnt17 means exponentially more money.
I don't need to stroke my own ego. I'm simply here to lay the facts out, if you don't like it, go cry in the corner. BTW, I don't have a 17/22, not to sure where you dreamed that up. We see people defending the vendor they've purchased parts from all the time, enjoy your time with the herd.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 20:57   #41
newguy2tdi

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta

How good of an idea do the 150 hp complete kits from Kerma sound? Anyone used one? Since im trying to get alot of work done in a little amount of time would this kit (with southbend endurance clutch, hot swap for injectors and upgrade to the s7) be a decent idea?\\http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/Detail?no=8487
newguy2tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 21:15   #42
JDSwan87
Black Swamp Thing

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy2tdi View Post
How good of an idea do the 150 hp complete kits from Kerma sound? Anyone used one? Since im trying to get alot of work done in a little amount of time would this kit (with southbend endurance clutch, hot swap for injectors and upgrade to the s7) be a decent idea?\\http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/Detail?no=8487
Have you read this thread? http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=427084 Some very good information on it. Also, I believe username Big Swole did a quick build on his Golf... Here is his build :http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=417939

Stella (Mine now): 2005 Shadow Blue Jetta Wagon TDI 09A
Mods: RC1. VCDS HEX-CAN USB (near Toledo, OH)
JDSwan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 21:42   #43
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropanotherthou View Post
Anything above s7/vnt17 means exponentially more money.
I was running compounds, for a total investment of $100.
Be $130 once I get the engine back together, the 140k mile VNT-15's bearings were a bit worn for my tastes.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 03:27   #44
clamb
Veteran Member

To the OP ... My recommendation is to go with DLC 1019 nozzles, 11mm fuel pump, stage 2 colt cam and a vnt17. Heck you could even go with just the nozzles and 11mm pump. With the right tune you'd be laughing. Don't go bigger turbo until the hardware is in place to fuel it. Also go 3" turbo back I do t have any dyno results but my car is pretty swift and has the following:

Stage 4.5 Malone tune
Vnt 17
11mm pump
Forge sidemount intercooler fed by 1.8T pancake
DLC 1019 nozzles
Stage 2 colt cam
PD150 manifold
3" Buzzken turbo back
Sachs VR6 clutch (which it slips and needs upgrading)
Old December 4th, 2014, 04:39   #45
LNXGUY
Veteran Member

I probably wouldn't drop the $$$ on a cam until I was exceeding the flow characteristics of the stock ALH head. Along with the cam, you should be doing some headwork to take advantage of it. But that's just a personal opinion.