www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old October 20th, 2014, 10:53   #16
JFettig

Your ALH will handle 200hp no problem if you don't do anything too stupid. 120hp is a standard Stage 2 tune.
DIY injector calibration http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=383324
JFettig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:02   #17
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFettig View Post
Your ALH will handle 200hp no problem if you don't do anything too stupid. 120hp is a standard Stage 2 tune.
Well then.
I'm gonna screw with my torque limit map some more then. Got the time to flash it out before work. Go for 2450 mbar SVBL and 2400mbar limit on the map with atmospheric pressure?

My pyro has been above 1100 degrees F a total of three times in the 8 months I've been messing with the car. I don't abuse it terribly, I'm just cautious in remapping.

Last edited by [486]; October 20th, 2014 at 11:13.
[486] is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 12:43   #18
Enabled
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
Well then.
I'm gonna screw with my torque limit map some more then. Got the time to flash it out before work. Go for 2450 mbar SVBL and 2400mbar limit on the map with atmospheric pressure?

My pyro has been above 1100 degrees F a total of three times in the 8 months I've been messing with the car. I don't abuse it terribly, I'm just cautious in remapping.
I'll PM you with some recommendations.
-BMW Z3 M Coupe (1 of 36)
-BMW 328d wagon (Self tuned ~230hp)
Enabled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 18:35   #19
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesjasonk View Post
boost doesn't equal volume.
With the same supporting mods it would
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesjasonk View Post
no it doesn't. A gt30 is going to push a different volume at 30 PSI then a gt20
this is why you have to look at the turbo island when you are determining power goal in relation to the displacement of your engine and your RPM range.
(at the risk of highjacking [486]'s thread)
You made a general statement that isn't correct.
I responded generally as well.
A given psi will move a given volume regardless of source.
Your second statement is incorrect, too.
The gt30 is capable of moving more air at 30 psi but under the same conditions
if both are making 30psi they will move the same amount.
flee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 20:50   #20
Dirtracr95
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 29.2mpg overall

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee View Post
With the same supporting mods it would
(at the risk of highjacking [486]'s thread)
You made a general statement that isn't correct.
I responded generally as well.
A given psi will move a given volume regardless of source.
Your second statement is incorrect, too.
The gt30 is capable of moving more air at 30 psi but under the same conditions
if both are making 30psi they will move the same amount.

The larger turbo would be more efficient so while the volume might be the same the density will not.
Dirtracr95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 22:36   #21
[486]
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtracr95 View Post
The larger turbo would be more efficient so while the volume might be the same the density will not.
Huh odd thought I made a post already on this.

I had forgotten all about the temperature factor.
Old October 21st, 2014, 00:52   #22
Alcaid
Veteran Member

Quote:
The turbine might be small, but the wastegate looks like it'll flow pretty well. Or is the turbine just not big enough to drive the compressor to its full potential?
You need a higher turbine choke flow to get to the TD04L compressor limit without EMP being an issue but it doesn't matter much as by then the VNT15 would be choking it anyway unless you do a sequential setup and fully bypass the VNT15 on both turbine and compressor side. You actually made a pretty decent compound setup just by chance

Since you are running very low RPMs on the TD04L a bigger turbine wheel would be more optimal as turbine efficiency would have been higher, but no worries, it'll work fine as it is
'83 VW Jetta 1.6TTD - Holset HE200WG-5cm + Custom Holset HX30W-12cm compound, 12mm Dieselmeken pump, Rosten rods, girdle, Ported AAZ head with custom valves, valve springs, Ti retainers, camshaft +++ WIP
Alcaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 11:38   #23
[486]
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcaid View Post
You need a higher turbine choke flow to get to the TD04L compressor limit without EMP being an issue but it doesn't matter much as by then the VNT15 would be choking it anyway unless you do a sequential setup and fully bypass the VNT15 on both turbine and compressor side. You actually made a pretty decent compound setup just by chance

Since you are running very low RPMs on the TD04L a bigger turbine wheel would be more optimal as turbine efficiency would have been higher, but no worries, it'll work fine as it is
Heh, sequential's a bit out there for me. Would need a different turbine housing on the VNT-15 anyways as I've got the funky one with an exhaust manifold attached to it.

Adjusted the wastegate actuator a bit (three full turns on the linkage) and made almost no difference. Probably gonna have to add some springs to it to get a bit more tension. Only makes 4 PSI.

Got a CEL now, but it is just saying that all 4 GPs are dead now. it's the "relay" that's the issue.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 21:41   #24
jsf350

TDI(s): 13 jetta tdi

the egt should be lower with the compounds...

more fueling will be helpful

there is a equation to figure out/ make sure the turbos are running a correct ratio for efficient running

wastgateing at 3 psi is to low... what is total boost?
jsf350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 23:27   #25
[486]
Veteran Member

Adjusted the actuator as far as it goes and it gave me 4 psi before it opens. Gonna toss some extra springs on it to give it some more scoot to hold the poot chute shut a little longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf350 View Post
the egt should be lower with the compounds...

more fueling will be helpful

there is a equation to figure out/ make sure the turbos are running a correct ratio for efficient running

wastgateing at 3 psi is to low... what is total boost?
Still not screwing with the fueling too much. Still a tiny little 10mm pump along with cute little stock injectors. More fuel will start getting things hot for not much more power. Mostly just making the GP codes go away for good between the normal work/school cycle. Oh and DATSUN. That thing gets some attention, too. Fixed the choke on the carb today. Remember, this is only a project that holds some of my rapidly shifting attention. Last month I had a metal shaper all apart and was shimming and scraping the ram ways into better alignment.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 08:06   #26
Enabled
Veteran Member

You're putting 50mg of fuel at WOT at least, no? Also make sure you edit both Smoke Limiter maps up, although on my car it's the 13x16 (the one with 850, 851, 852, 853 mg/st defined) that seems to be used. The 10x16 doesn't seem to be doing much in my car.

Last edited by Enabled; October 23rd, 2014 at 08:09.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 09:31   #27
jsf350

yes you need the small turbo wastegate to open way later... 10-15 psi at least...
you get your power by compounding the air pressure...

right now your pretty much just running off of the larger turbo
Old October 23rd, 2014, 09:32   #28
jsf350

with more fuel and proper boost you wont run any hotter
Old October 23rd, 2014, 10:25   #29
[486]
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
You're putting 50mg of fuel at WOT at least, no? Also make sure you edit both Smoke Limiter maps up, although on my car it's the 13x16 (the one with 850, 851, 852, 853 mg/st defined) that seems to be used. The 10x16 doesn't seem to be doing much in my car.
I was kind of wondering about those maps. I had edited the axis' so that it would go up to 1000 with the three columns that didn't do anything, but reverted it because I didn't know how it'd like the two maps not lining up.
I suppose they don't line up anyways, with those three columns having higher airflows anyways.

Quote:
right now your pretty much just running off of the larger turbo
Gauges say the exact opposite, friend.
Except if you mean at cruise, running along at 55 the td04 makes around 2-3lbs which goes a long way toward the request pressure, so the VNT's vanes are pretty open judging by the exhaust sound.
Quote:
with more fuel and proper boost you wont run any hotter
Injection duration means nothing, eh?
Old October 23rd, 2014, 10:41   #30
Enabled
Veteran Member

Quote:
I was kind of wondering about those maps. I had edited the axis' so that it would go up to 1000 with the three columns that didn't do anything, but reverted it because I didn't know how it'd like the two maps not lining up.
I suppose they don't line up anyways, with those three columns having higher airflows anyways.

Well when I initially had edited only the 10x16, and left the larger one stock. The smoke limiter values in VCDS logging were allowing only stock values, up to like 38mg. Basically no extra fuel at all. When I changed them in the "Smoke Limiter 2" they finally went up in logging.

My MAF values go up to 1200mg/st of air (EGR off) with 17psi of boost, so I changed the X axis values in the 13x16 map to: 850, 890, 930, 1100. You SHOULD raise the X axis values for better control because you have much more airflow that needs to be defined. Especially with EGR off.

I copied my modified Z values the same from the 850 column (on Smoke Limiter, and Smoke Limiter 2 maps) across the 890, 930, 1100 definitions as well.

Here's what worked for me best, (*tuned myself)