www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old March 19th, 2010, 09:19   #1
axg1040

Default Bluetooth was great for a month....

2010 Jetta TDI sedan. 10/09 build date and purchased about a month ago.
The bluetooth worked great from the start with our Iphones until this week. Wife was driving and was on a call and heard a pop in the speakers and the call dropped. She called the person back and talked for some time and then another pop and the call dropped. She then just used the phone itself to finish the call. The next day the phone would not sync up with the bluetooth in the car. Reset the phone and now the bluetooth does not even show up on either her phone or if I try my phone. If you press the voice command button on the steering wheel you get nothing. Checked the phone fuse under the hood and it is fine. Checked all connections under the passenger seat and all is good there. It appears it just died. I tried a search on this site and on Google and it does not appear this has happened to anybody. I am hoping when I bring it to the dealer it will simply just need a new module. Kind of a bummer as we have had this only about a month....but the that is what the warranty is for. Any other DIY ideas?? Would it be a bad idea to unplug the module, cycle the key, plug it back in to see if it resets?
Thanks.
axg1040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 09:30   #2
fleuger99
Veteran Member

Are you running the 9W3 or 9W2? I don't think it could hurt to unplug the module and cycle it.
2006 Jetta GLI
1998 Passat V6
fleuger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 09:58   #3
axg1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuger99
Are you running the 9W3 or 9W2? I don't think it could hurt to unplug the module and cycle it.
I assume the 9w2 as I do not have the phone option in the MFI and can't stream bluetooth music. For the life of me I could not find any part # or sticker on the module under the seat.
I will try and cycle it tonight when I get home and see what happens.
Just seems odd the bluetooth will not show up on any phone when the key is turned on. That is the only reason I think the module is dead.
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:30   #4
740GLE
Veteran Member

Sedans have 9W3, it just isn't coded for the MFI. 9W2 can stream audio, 9W3 can't.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:44   #5
l3it3r
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-55 MPG daily

I just got my wife an iPhone 3GS and the BT module in the phone is rubbish. I have an HTC Touch Pro 2 and my phone calls and stereo audio sound INCREDIBLE.. hers have crackles, hissing and connection issues.. honestly, I vote phone.
Old March 19th, 2010, 11:23   #6
axg1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3it3r
I just got my wife an iPhone 3GS and the BT module in the phone is rubbish. I have an HTC Touch Pro 2 and my phone calls and stereo audio sound INCREDIBLE.. hers have crackles, hissing and connection issues.. honestly, I vote phone.
I thought the same thing at first but I took both Iphones and paired them up no problem with other bluetooth devices to just check. Before it stopped working the calls were crystal clear and had no issues with the system at all.
Basically the bluetooth in the car is now invisble and does not show up when trying to either use it or pair it up. I really think it is dead as the voice activation button on the steering wheel does nothing now...no beep...no voice prompt...nothing.
I plan on taking my work cell phone home and see if it will pair up.
Old March 19th, 2010, 11:24   #7
fleuger99
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3it3r
I have a iPhone 3GS and it works perfectly with both my 9W2 and now with the 9W3 upgrade I did. It connects easily, even ten minutes into my drive and people tell me it sounds clear. Might be the phone.
2006 Jetta GLI
1998 Passat V6
fleuger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 17:17   #8
axg1040

Ok....got home and tested the car with another phone (non Iphone) and the bluetooth is still not visible when searching for it via the phone. Pulled the connector out of the module under the seat and cycled the ignition and then plugged it back in....still nothing.
Guess it is off to the dealer. Strange that this has not happened to anybody else. I will report back once the dealer has checked into it.
Old March 20th, 2010, 16:00   #9
ibid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48/43/39

yeah, let us know.. Mine has been working great with my bberry
Old March 26th, 2010, 04:55   #10
flylow2
Veteran Member

I have the JSW so the 9W2 module I presume. My bluetooth died on the first phone call on the first day of having the car. Mid call (the quality was awesome by the way) a loud squeal (feedback like) happened and I had to disconnect the call. The phone is still linked and makes and receives calls but I can't hear anything and the other end does not hear anything either.

For your problem ... do you have a green light indicating it is linked? If not you may need to re-pair. I am sure you probably tried this already but thought I would offer that thought.

Other than this minor issue for me, I couldn't be happier with the car. 300 miles so far and overall fuel mileage is at 39 and my commute averages 42 mpg. I am wondering if this is summer fuel in NJ at this point. This car rocks!!!! I look forward to waking up in the morning and going for that ride into work.
flylow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:57   #11
Marlyece
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42
Default bluetooth connection drops periodically

the first 4-5 months I had my new Golf with 9w2 and the bluetooth synched flawlessy with our iPhone and Samsung Magnet, now it tends to drop both devices on a weekly basis and we end up having to resync them again. anyone else experience this problem? any suggestions? we end up deleting the connection from our phones and then resynching again. it seems to hold for about a week.
Marlyece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 12:48   #12
flylow2
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow2
I have the JSW so the 9W2 module I presume. My bluetooth died on the first phone call on the first day of having the car. Mid call (the quality was awesome by the way) a loud squeal (feedback like) happened and I had to disconnect the call. The phone is still linked and makes and receives calls but I can't hear anything and the other end does not hear anything either.

For your problem ... do you have a green light indicating it is linked? If not you may need to re-pair. I am sure you probably tried this already but thought I would offer that thought.

Other than this minor issue for me, I couldn't be happier with the car. 300 miles so far and overall fuel mileage is at 39 and my commute averages 42 mpg. I am wondering if this is summer fuel in NJ at this point. This car rocks!!!! I look forward to waking up in the morning and going for that ride into work.
I spent 4 hours at the dealer today while they were troubleshooting (including tech conversations with VW). The finally came up with the phone module as NG and replaced it with another one from a new car in the lot. I had one phone call and it works. The BT indicator light is dead though but the phone had no trouble in syncing.
Old March 29th, 2010, 16:48   #13
Gowens

If your BT indicator light is not working then it may be a 9W3 module they put in your JWS. You may have gotten a free upgrade. Look on the label on the module under your front passenger seat and see if it is a 1Z0-035-729C. That is a 9W3.
Old March 30th, 2010, 04:26   #14
axg1040

Still have not had a chance to take it to the dealer. Been traveling with work.
It has yet to work since it stopped working. I plan to get it in next week.
I also do not have the bluetooth light in my 2010 overhead console. Is that how it is set up on the 2009?
Old March 30th, 2010, 14:56   #15
flylow2
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowens
If your BT indicator light is not working then it may be a 9W3 module they put in your JWS. You may have gotten a free upgrade. Look on the label on the module under your front passenger seat and see if it is a 1Z0-035-729C. That is a 9W3.
I don't see anything but some black stryofoam. It does seem that there are some electronics under there but I can't quite figure out what and how to access it.