How to add fused circuits to the inside fuse panel.

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
In the past, I had installed extra wring into the interior fuse panels of my MK6 Sportwagen and my NMS Passat. Both used the same fuse panel, which when unlocked just needed the proper terminal to be popped into the proper location. Here’s and DIY for an MK5 or anything with the same Fuse panel.
https://www.my-gti.com/601/addition-of-extra-circuits-to-the-volkswagen-golf-jetta-passat-eos-scirocco-rabbit-fuse-box
The MK7 is a different beast, but actually in some ways easier once you know what to do. I became familiar with the necessary parts when I installed a Westfalia tow module on my 2015 Golf TDI, and think that the info could be useful to anyone who wants to add fused power to accessories on an MK7.
You’ll need 4 parts to do this.
1. Fuse Holder 6r0937530a https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/holder/6r0937530a/
This holder holds four fuses, and snaps into hole on the right side of the fuse panel. Circled in the pic.
[/IMG]
2. VW repair wires (or terminals if you can crimp) with Standard Power Timer 5.8mm female terminals. These will be inserted in the back of the fuse holder and accept the blades of the fuse.
[/IMG]
3. VW repair wires (or terminals in you can crimp) with Multiple Contact Point 6.3/4.8 female terminals. These are the type of terminal that fit into the sockets on the back of the fuse panel under the dash.
[/IMG]
4. Cover 5q0971990a which is a plastic cover that covers the exposed part of the terminal. These snap onto the back of the fuse panel after the MCP terminals are inserted and cover the metal that sticks out of the socket. I have no idea why these are $5 each. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/housing/5q0971990a/
[/IMG]
How to find the right Terminals
This website (sorry, it’s German) has all of the VW repair wire part numbers and terminal part numbers. Scroll down to section 3 (Kontakteübersicht) and it won’t matter if you can’t speak German since there are pictures.
https://www.a4-freunde.com/showwiki.php?title=Pins+und+alles+was+dazu+gehoert
You can also easily and cheaply buy the terminals from https://www.mouser.com/ if you search for the terminal name (i.e. MCP 6.3/4.8)
Just order the right type of terminal for the wire size you need.
What to do.
For each fused circuit you want to add, you’ll need 2 SPt connectors (these accept the fuse blades) and one MCP connector (which gets power from the fuse panel). Don’t insert anything into the back of the fuse panel until you’ve got everything assembled.
1.You will need to have one length of wire with a STP connector on one end and an MCP connector on the other. Be sure to have a 5q0971990a oriented correctly in between the terminals or heat shrink the part of the terminal that will stick out of the socket.
The STP end will go into the fuse holder, while the MCP end will be inserted into the back of the fuse panel.
If you remove the BCM cover under your dash, you will notice that there are all kinds of wires coming out of the back of the fuse panel. You will also notice several empty sockets that have an exposed male terminal end. They are labeled “12x”.
[/IMG]
If you place a MCP 6.3/4.8 female terminal into one of these sockets it will snap into place and provide unfused power. There is just one caveat. Some of the sockets are hot all the time (terminal 30), and others are hot with ignition on only (terminal 15.) You will have to use a test light to determine which location to use.
2. You will need to have a wire with a STP terminal that will insert on the other side of the fuse holder and run to whatever you are wanting to power.
3. You will need to completely assemble the fuse holder with its wires before you insert in in the car. You don’t need to fill all the spots, but if you think you may want to add more fuses in the future, go ahead and add as many STP wires from the fuse holder as you think you’ll need, supply power from the fuse panel, and leave the extra wires bundled under your dash. Just don’t insert fuses into the unused circuits. Once the fuse holder has been inserted next to the fuse panel, I imagine it won’t be fun to remove. I haven’t tried.
My Westfalia kit powered two of the fuse locations off on one of the sockets on the back of the fuse panel. It had two wires crimped onto one MCP Female terminal. You could do this as well, but there are actually plenty of sockets available on the rear of the panel.
[/IMG]
4. Once you have the wires in the fuse holder, insert it in its slot next to the other fuses, and then insert the MCP terminals into the back of the fuse panel. You will then have fused power to your accessories, and it will be just as accessible as all the other fuses in the car.
Crimping terminals yourself is cheaper that buying VW repair wires. You just need the right tool. I purchased this one from Amazon and it works great. The above pic is two 14 gauge wires crimped in a 4mm MCP terminal. I heat shrinked the end, so I wouldn't need the $5 cover
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0195VXA10/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
Appreciate the write up.

So Step 0, how did you get the front compartment out? The manual simply says "loosen it" but it wasn't obvious to me. It must come out easily if the fuse panel is behind it.

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Open the door. Grip the left side of the door and pull. It’ll pop out.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
I see now, there's a tab that's supposed to flex on the left side. It wasn't all that warm so the plastic was less flexible, did manage to get it out though without breaking it.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Another question, what is the best way to access the back side of the fuse panel. Doesn't look like the fuse panel is easily moved. I already removed the panels under the dash. Looks like about the best you can do is use a mirror.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I just moved my "adda-fuse" from my mk5 to my mk7 it may not look as clean but was free and installed in 10 min.

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
You have to lie on your back in the floor, look up, and know what’s up there. I took a few pics, so I’d know. I also double checked with my test light before I unhooked the battery and popped the connector in. You can’t remove it once installed. Luckily, there are only two types. Hot all the time, or hot with ignition.

I’m not anti “add a fuse”. I used the one provided with my garage door buttons. I had the info and part numbers above, so I thought I’d make it available for others.

Last edited: