The settlement as proposed is complete BS

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I have no idea what the extra depreciation will be. How did you calculate $75? How do I know it won't be more?
The mileage adjustment charts are published--you can figure out exactly what the price delta will be for any desired combination of mileage and turn-in date. This isn't a matter of reading chicken bones and bull entrails.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Diminished value at least for a good while to come. They will only give me $2800 for keeping it.
Unless you have a lease, the minimum amount that you will get with the fix is set at $5100. Since you have a 2013, I can't believe that you would not be getting closer to $7000 for the fix, unless you are way high in miles. For the fix amounts, I'm looking at $5100 for my 2010 JSW and $6050 for my 2011 Golf.

Oh, maybe you're talking about what you get after paying off the loan.

Last edited:

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
Unless you have a lease, the minimum amount that you will get with the fix is set at $5100. Since you have a 2013, I can't believe that you would not be getting closer to $7000 for the fix, unless you are way high in miles. For the fix amounts, I'm looking at $5100 for my 2010 JSW and $6050 for my 2011 Golf.
No, I am getting ripped for closing the sale the day after the date they decided is the cutoff. Basically I guess the dealer forgot to tell their used sales team (next building over), or they wanted to push the sale out as quick as possible. It was not a CPO, so the most I could do is complain to the dealer.
My scenario is probably not that common, but I am getting a worse offer than many, especially considering I did buy a brand new Passat in 2013 and got this used one just because I had to replace my destroyed one as quick as possible. I did not want to fork over a bunch more money to buy a new version of the same thing I had and there were no stick shifts. I had to get a DSG either way.
They only want to give me $2800 to keep it because I did not buy it one day sooner.
I did call and it looks like I can go about 4000 more miles before taking more of a hit than the offer they showed. Of course I do not put any trust in this being accurate without reading all the official documents myself. Unfortunately that is not going to get me there and also add on another oil change if I do go that far.....
She did say on the phone that there may be unclaimed money after this that will be divided up, but you know the lawyers are already trying to see how they can bill that and the EPA is seeing how they can snag it :)

Last edited:

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
No, I am getting ripped for closing the sale the day after the date they decided is the cutoff. Basically I guess the dealer forgot to tell their used sales team (next building over), or they wanted to push the sale out as quick as possible. It was not a CPO, so the most I could do is complain to the dealer.
My scenario is probably not that common, but I am getting a worse offer than many, especially considering I did buy a brand new Passat in 2013 and got this used one just because I had to replace my destroyed one as quick as possible. I did not want to fork over a bunch more money to buy a new version of the same thing I had and there were no stick shifts. I had to get a DSG either way.
They only want to give me $2800 to keep it because I did not buy it one day sooner.
I did call and it looks like I can go about 4000 more miles before taking more of a hit than the offer they showed. Of course I do not put any trust in this being accurate without reading all the official documents myself. Unfortunately that is not going to get me there and also add on another oil change if I do go that far.....
She did say on the phone that there may be unclaimed money after this that will be divided up, but you know the lawyers are already trying to see how they can bill that and the EPA is seeing how they can snag it :)
You actually have the hard data point that proves or disproves that the value on 9/18/15 is accurate or not. You paid $X effectively on the date the value is set at, if the formula does not get you back at least $X, that's the car value + substantial compensation, complain with the details to the court. Hard to say cars sold the week leading up to the press release are not indicative of the value of the cars.

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
You actually have the hard data point that proves or disproves that the value on 9/18/15 is accurate or not. You paid $X effectively on the date the value is set at, if the formula does not get you back at least $X, that's the car value + substantial compensation, complain with the details to the court. Hard to say cars sold the week leading up to the press release are not indicative of the value of the cars.
There could be some fight to all of that, but you know how these things tend to result in the runaround.
The rub is that they are not offering us what the cars were worth. They are offering clean trade value minus mileage on some calculation since then. This is ridiculous to me. For one thing I am putting more miles on it that it was getting before I bought it. In other words it was worth more at that time if that person had kept it than my now penalizing higher use.
I would not have sold my Passat for clean trade value before this and dealers do not sell you cars for clean trade in value (or at least they try not to).
That is one part of this thing that us unsettling. Why do they get to offer us trade in value. I would not have traded it in the same day and took the loss. Fortunately I got a pretty good deal and talked them down $4k from what they were asking so I am not really getting hurt. I am just not getting any compensation for owning two of these things and I had a 2012 Jetta TDI before them...