1.9 ASV engine troubles

jublybug

TDI
octavia 1.9 tdi asv
Im posting this as a update to all my other related threads on the problems ive had with this ASV 1.9 TDI . So its been a long road to trace the fault with cutting out .i figured out it was valve jack due to oil pressure but as its my family's daily car I couldent have it off the road for a long time . So I've drove round the problem .but after head gasket failure from a long towing holiday up to Scotland the cars been off the road long enough to trace . Ive pulled everything apart and along the way ruled out different things ending up with the hydraulic tappets ( only thing I could see that wasent right ,I couldent squeeze the oil out of some of them and one or two I could eather clicked or just dident feel right ) so I've replace them .wile I was doing the head rebuild and it seems that its cured the problem .its not back on the road yet but ive driven it about on private land and the simptoms I was having are gone . So if anyone else suffers from cutting out on a asv 1.9 tdi with loss of compression but after being stood of a few minutes fires back up ok but little Smokey till it clears . Try changing the hydraulic tappets .

Hope this helps someone else along the way

Jim

Hello all at tdi
I'm new to the site and am hopeing you can help ,I have a Skoda Octavia eligance estate . I got the car as a cheep tow car to tow our caravan to tour the uk But . Its got a strange fault ,it starts fine hot or cold has plenty power runs smooth alls well, but if you rev the engine cold it cuts out dead ,on trying to restart it spins over almost as no compression then starts to fire on one then two three cylinders smokeing althe time once running its very shaky but clears and runs smooth again the smoke clears once its running if switched off it will start fine . If you start the car and let it sit so the temperature rises a little its ok ,also once its cut out if you leave it for a wile (I left it hour or so) it will start as nothings wrong. . I've code read the ecu and cured the faults that whetestored but now am geting no codes .

I've changed so far
vacume pipes for turbo (vnt)
Coolent temp sensor
Imobiliser modified wireing
MAF sensor
Air filter
Fuel filter
Removed flap valve in tank pick up
Injection pump pressure regulator valve(repressed retaining clip)
And re set timeing with vcds
the cars had a cambelt before I got it ,I'm going to recheck this next week with the pin kit just to make sure its spot on . Any ideas? I'm thinking now its in The pump or ecu ? I'm wateing for a copy of vcds to arive to get some data
I've also got the Egr disconected and asv is working as it should all cleaned out aswell.

Sorry for The essay and thanks for reading this far Jim

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Hmmm, maybe next time try cracking open the injector pipes on the tops of the injectors then cranking, see if fuel is coming out or not. It sounds like it runs out of fuel then when you're cranking it eventually reprimes itself and gets going. It's possible there's a tiny leak in the fuel system somewhere and it's allowing the fuel to run back to the tank then when you let it sit for a bit it's gradually refilling things up.

jublybug

TDI
octavia 1.9 tdi asv
It starts every time . If left to warm itl run ok its only if you rev it from cold ,theres plenty fuel as if you try to restart once its cut out it smokes loads of un burnt fuel .i could drive round it (leting it warm a bit before a trip) but the misses will forget and Il get it in the neck,apart from this its a great car .

Jim, anything else stand out ,has anyone had the pump apart to give me some pointers?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It starts every time . If left to warm itl run ok its only if you rev it from cold ,theres plenty fuel as if you try to restart once its cut out it smokes loads of un burnt fuel .i could drive round it (leting it warm a bit before a trip) but the misses will forget and Il get it in the neck,apart from this its a great car .

Jim, anything else stand out ,has anyone had the pump apart to give me some pointers?
Maybe a sticking vnt mech in the turbo, if it's not been cleaned yet then even more likely

jublybug

TDI
octavia 1.9 tdi asv
No boost related codes ,owner before me did Mr muscle clean of vnt mech . Has anyone heard of oil pressure relief valve sticking causing to much pressure holding valves partly open?

Jim

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No and you wont necessarily get any boost codes, also the mr muscle doesn't really get to the problem area, helps short term but doesn't fix the issue. Been there, done that, got the pics to prove it lol.

Never heard of the oil pressure one myself on any vag forum, only time I've seen any oil pressure issues is with the 3 pot they used in the skoda yeti, pump fails and ruins the engine. Skoda cover 60% of the repair bill even though they're a 100% at fault.

jublybug

TDI
octavia 1.9 tdi asv
Ok so why would it only happen when cold? Slightest bit of temp in the engine and its ok . I'm going to flush and dump oil tomorrow anyways see if it helps.

Jim

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gooey, oily, sooty gunge that maybe loosens up a little with heat. Not a 100% sure but a sticky vnt is a common issue. I'm watching a thread on another forum with a guy with the same engine and same issue. He's about to pull the turbo and clean it so we'll see if that cures his.

cypher007

TDI
SEAT Toledo, Audi A3
got the same engine in 2 cars. had the same issue in both. I had it do it the other week when it was cold. accelerated then boom no power engine dead. wait then start loads of smoke.

my thinking is maybe a sticking pressure relief valve in the injector pump. apparently these can play up. I think it over fuels the engine which floods then takes a while to evaporate the fuel in the cylinders before it will start.

having said that it does behave like all the valves are stuck open.

jublybug

TDI
octavia 1.9 tdi asv
I think I'm geting valve jack due to the oil pressure .where is the relief valve ? In oil pump or filter houseing? I've flushed oil and replaced with right speck stuff but was to warm to try .

Jim

jublybug

TDI
octavia 1.9 tdi asv
Talk about dragging an old thread from the dead .

Ok so sorry for the long long over due update . I never quite got to the bottom of the issue . But now after much towing and use in rebuilding after a head gasket failure. Head rebuild ,new turbo so wile I'm in there I'm looking for the oil issue . Ive had the filter housing off and removed the ( non serviceable) oil pressure relief valve . There slight signs of wear but not sticking or damages or crud stuck in there as I was hopeing . So onward to the sump it seems . Question is is there a anyone that knows is the bypass valve in the oil pump removable or is its sealed in the pump? Ive come this far so its coming out anyway . Will post updated in a day or so

Jim

jublybug

TDI
octavia 1.9 tdi asv
Ok so yesterday I found what looks like striped threads (half aluminum coils) in the oil pickup ,some in the mesh going through so .oil pump off next to investigate further .

Jim

jublybug

TDI
octavia 1.9 tdi asv
Ok so pump off tonight .striped ,inspected and cleaned no signs of wear there is the odd scratch and what looked like pin marks as if something's maby gone through it . But I'm happy it turns free and has plenty service life so I've reassembled it oiled it and spun it by hand and it pumped oil in seconds. So next I think I'm into checking oil galleries also I'm going to remove the oil cooler under the filter housing incase anything ended up in there.

Jim