Manual transmission hard side-to-side?

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
New to me '01 ALH jetta, manual gearbox. Shifting problematic, as the stick doesn't return to "neutral" (in the middle, between 3rd and 4th) without effort. Cables appear to be adjusted properly but IDK. I've never had to deal w/ this before. Just took it for a drive and ground all sorts of metal, missed shifts, etc. Maybe I'm just used to my regular car, but this doesn't shift right.
I lubed everything up as best I could, but I dunno. Hoping this isn't a worn shifter fork issue or something.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Were you able to pull the relay lever (L shaped gizmo) out of the shift tower on the trans?
Looks like this without the black plastic cable end:
http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=76_102&products_id=2601
If I am understanding your problem it may be that the bushings are getting pinched by corrosion of the aluminum surrounding them. It happens big time here in Michigan.
The bushings may get destroyed when removing them.
New ones -- you will need two:
http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=76_102&products_id=2600

Try moving the shifter on the trans up and down with out the lever in place. If it sticks then corrosion may be forming below the shaft seal. All that stuff is available and changeable without removal of the trans.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
Ah, thanks. Yep, I disconnected the cable and the cable itself is free. Pushing up and down is difficult. So is the problem below the shaft seal? I'm not clear on this.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
Great, makes sense. Car has sat since October. Also shows evidence of having been buried by a plow :(.