Reason for vac control actuators?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Ever since I had to adapt a Garrett smart actuator to my KP39 I question: Why is it that here in North America we get vacuum actuated turbos and over in Europe they have electronic actuators?

Electronic actuators are likely more expensive, but probably more accurate and with a simpler system overall (no check for leaks on several different places).

Anyone know why?

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
And the turbo manufacturers are moving back to vacuum actuators as not only are they expensive they do not last as long as a vacuum actuator. The only advantage to the smart actuator is that the ECM knows the opening percentage; but the MAF sensor tells the ECM the airflow, the ECM looks at the MAP sensor, if low increase percentage open, if high reduce percentage open.

The only "advantage" I can see to a smart actuator is that when it fails you will get a check engine light. If my vacuum actuator fails I will see it on my boost gauge.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
"smart actuators" bew, BHW, Brm and CR are still vacuum controlled. They just incorporate a sensor to see the position the actuator probably mostly for self diagnostics. Just had a customer come in with a CR with a bad vacuum actuator.

I'm sure someone out there has a electronic turbo actuator (ford chrysler chevy, fiat ect) but not on a Vw tdi that I've seen (yet).

Last edited: