1999 VW tdi beetle,fuel problem,IP maybe?

Craigscustoms

TDI
99 vw beetle tdi,2006 vw jetta tdi
Hello,I would like to start off by saying I'm new to this site but have heard many good things so I figured I'd give it a go..ok so here's my issue

Couple of days ago I drove my 99 vw tdi beetle home from work,everything was perfect,woke up the next morning to go to work and it wouldn't start,so I took my other tdi..when I got home I started trouble shooting,figured it was a fuel issue so I started by loosening a injector line and found it was not pumping fuel,so I changed the fuel filter (fuel filter was full of fuel and I also filled the new filter with new diesel before installing),lines were all clean.then I checked to make sure the fuel shut off was working and it was (I could hear and feel it click),I'm thinking it's the injection pump but I find it real strange it never gave me any signs??

Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions before I take out the IP and have it rebuilt?

Thanks!!

Craigscustoms

TDI
Not yet,will be doing so tomorrow when I get a lend of my coworkers scanner,I will let you know how things go,thanks for the reply.

Craigscustoms

TDI
Scanned it with obdII reader and got a p1550 code due to a leaky vac line,still had nothing to do with the fuel problem,I also took out the pressure valve on the ip and it was in pieces,put it all back together and still no go..it's seems like the ip is not produceing enough pressure to pump the fuel,i get a small amount of bubbles and fuel to the injectors but nothing like it should be,really think its the ip but it never gave any signs,anyone ever heard of a ip giving out while just being parked for less then 8 hours?

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Don't know if it is the ip "giving out" after being parked overnight, but many people have found it hard or impossible to start after being parked. The usual culprit is losing prime, caused by air leakage, and the usual cause of that is the thermostat-t in the return line which either has cracked or leaks air past the o-rings.

What did you do to ensure the injectors are receiving fuel? And if the injectors get fuel, and the timing is not off badly, then the engine will run.

Craigscustoms

TDI
Sorry it took so long for me to post a reply ive been very busy...Powder hound..you pretty much hit the nail on the head...it was a small leak in the return line between injectors causing the fuel to drain and air locking the system..replaced the line and purged the fuel system and way to go!!..not really used to working on diesels so it took me a while to find it and I rather burn the vehicle then bring it to any of my local mechanics or vw dealership,but none the less it's back puring like a kitten..thanks for all the reply's

bbaughman2008

TDI
99 beetle
99 beetle

my wife drive the diesel to work the other morning and the afternoon it will not start. it will turn over. and it doesnt appear that im getting fuel to the injector pump because all im getting is bubbles..does this car have a fuel pump in the tank, im not hearing any humming coming from the tank when the key is turned over. tks

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
No lift pump in the tank on these 1996-2003's cars.

Once the fuel system starts to infuse with air the car can still run...sort of. It foams up the fuel.
When you shut it down and let it sit, the foam will break down and leave air pockets in the pump so it loses it's prime.

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
Beetle no start

I had a beetle with the same problem, it turned out to be a crack on the sending unit in tank. When the fuel is low, it causes the fuel to return to tank. When you try to start the lines have air.
Also there is a mod you can do to the new sending unit when you buy one. It is to drill the little blockeaged in the line. Do a search here on these forums, that mod is here somewhere.

Bill168

TDI
98 Jetta TDI A3
I'm having the same problem with a 2001 Beetle. It isnt getting any fuel. So your telling me the deal under the back seat is NOT a fuel pump? I'm pretty much there already, is that a good place to start? The car has been sitting for about 6 months now. Ran fine when I parked it. I do live in a cold climate, so I pulled the battey out for the winter. I don't see where that would have anything to do with it.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, the thing in the tank under the seat is a fuel pick-up. Check for blockage, damage or grunge in the fuel. The OP found his little injector return lines were damaged, kind of odd that would do that, but once you check the tank, look for leakage up front, thermo tee O-rings, bad pump seals, that sort of thing.