'12 JSW TDI Build Discussion

Ciphex

TDI
'12 Sportwagen
I'm looking to purchase a '12 JSW TDI and then beefing her up to handle some pseudo offroading. I was hoping to chat ya'll up to discuss some of the options out there.

Lift Suspension System & Bags
I would like to raise the vehicle 2" with shock replacements and add bags for both leveling and some additional lift. Thinking Bilstein Ridecontrol shocks but haven't located a compatible bag setup yet.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/electronic-suspension-systems/bilstein-ridecontrol.html

Wheels + Tires
P225/60 R17 Tires on some 17" Black Rims giving an overall diameter of about 28in which is +3" over the standard.

ECU Mods/SW
Still researching... Been reading about a 170hp ecu flash upgrade...

Front Bumper
For aesthetics... JSW doesn't look right. Will compile a list here of alternatives.

Last edited:

wrx580

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
IMHO, that sounds like a colossal waste of money. You'd be building something that serves literally no purpose, unless you just want the off-road "look". As an actual off-roader, it would perform rather poorly.

What are your true goals? Are you set on getting a JSW? Are you looking for a wagon you can off-road in? The JSW is really not a good starting point if you have the later in mind.

Ciphex

TDI
'12 Sportwagen
Interesting response.

My goals: A TDI vehicle with sufficient cargo space for my dogs and rugged enough to take on some undeveloped back roads littered with massive pot holes and hazardous rocks.

I am looking for a wagon I can "off-road" in. From your perspective what all does off-roading mean ? Not looking to make a baja run.

I'm open to recommendations but the price jump from a JSW to something more offroad worthy with TDI and similar luxuries is pretty big.

Last edited:

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Belly skid and don't let out! :)

I took my little Suzuki Vitara more places than I should have with tiny tires and no ground clearance. granted it was 4wd, but....

Ciphex

TDI
'12 Sportwagen
I guess that was my concern IFRCFI... Can the JSW be beefed up to compare to an Outback or are they really two different animals?

TDI<wagen>

TDI
2011 Golf Wagon, 6MT, pano, leather, media package
Too bad, as IFRCFI mentioned, it's not an Outback. Not even WRX hatch, which with Forester suspension and wheels , some power mods can be very off-road friendly.

JSW doesn't have: a) AWD system, so you will have to swap one from Audi or something else. b)boxer engine that lowers weight center and makes car more stable.

If only they brought diesel Subaru from Europe to NA :p

I wouldn't pick JSW as a platform for such project. Just too many things will need to be added.

Sinetv

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW 2013 Audi Q7 TDI
I'm looking to purchase a '12 JSW TDI and then beefing her up to handle some pseudo offroading. I was hoping to chat ya'll up to discuss some of the options out there.

Waste of money!!!! Everyone want to lower!!!

Ciphex

TDI
'12 Sportwagen
Thank you all for being so candid.

I wish there was a $30-40k vehicle option that was both tdi and offroad capable....

Sinetv

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW 2013 Audi Q7 TDI

I wish there was a $30-40k vehicle option that was both tdi and offroad capable....
Buy 4x4 silver ado or dodge ram diesel and offload. For 40k definitely you can found.

wrx580

TDI
2013 Golf TDI

Why not a used Toureg if you're set on TDI? I'm pretty sure you can find a very lightly used one in that price range.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Vw of Langhorne just took in Trade a Georgeous V10 Toureg TDI with low miles and Certified and with very rare options and it sold for 37,000 the ultimate offroader...

DEM

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2010 - dumped it for Golf R
Have you looked at Jeep TDI conversions by HPA? You get brand new TDI motor and no HPFP and intercooler problems...

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
OP; here's some food for thought: The Opposite of "Stanced" ;)

You want to lift it to drive back-country, go for it. Don't let anyone here tell you "It's a waste of money," or "it makes no sense."

When did any mods ever actually make sense...? That's the joy of modding :p

Good Luck with your project! Hope that link provides some inspiration/ideas.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

While Audi continues to sell its A6 Allroad Quattro overseas, the platform was cancelled in North American in 2008. Now Audi has released details of a new Allroad Quattro version of the A4… but there is no word on if this crossover will be available to North Americans.

Based on the A4 Avant platform the A4 Allroad Quattro is intended to be a real off-road-capable machine with a 7.09-inches of ground clearance and, of course, Audi’s legendary quattro all-wheel drive system. On the A4 Allroad Quattro power is distributed front and rear in a 40/60 distribution. As much as 65 percent of the power can be sent to the front wheels and as much as 85 percent of the power can be sent to the rear wheels, when necessary.

The A4 Allroad Quattro sits higher on longer springs and shocks - for a more comfortable off-road drive. Audi insists that the car is still plenty-sporty when on-road as well.

The track of the vehicle has been increased by 20mm (0.79-inches) to increase grip and large 17-inch wheels are fitted with 225/55/17 tires.
One impressive innovation on the car is Audi’s Offroad Detection system, which monitors the condition of the road and limits the intrusiveness of the stability control system when you leave the beaten-path.