2010 Jetta having electrical issues ?

daboy23

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I purchased a 2010 Jetta last Tuesday. It is stock, had 15 miles when I got it and now has only 1,552 miles. I was driving to work this morning with the cruise set on 71mph when the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. The vehicle was telling me to "Brake Now", "Service Engine" and "Brake Error". Although, if it had a "brake error", why would I use the brake ? The following lights were also lit on the dash: Steering wheel, engine, ABS, Traction Control and the Glow Plug light (it was flashing). The brake light was flashing but went off. The TPMS came on momentarily but went off by the time I pulled to the side of the Interstate. I turned the vehicle off, panicked and then composed myself. Made a couple of phones calls to friends to make sure I wouldn't be stranded. But since I was only a few miles from the dealer I bought the car from, I babied it to their service department. The vehicle seemed to drive normally except for the indicator lights on the dash. Also, the speedometer and the odometer weren't working. So the few miles (probably 7 at most) didn't register. Any ideas on the issue ? Has anyone experienced anything similar ?

4 November 1630: Update:
Dealership called and they don't know what's wrong with the vehicle. Said they are in contact with VW to work the problem and resolve the issue. Dealer is providing a rental car (free of charge to me) to use during the time the Jetta is out of commission. Hope it's a simple fix but doubt it if the dealer had it all day, couldn't find / fix the problem and is working with VW on the solution. More updates to come as more information becomes available.

5 November 1100: Update:
Dealership called and said the problem was fixed. They said they worked with VW to correct the problem. The problem was a bolt, which held a ground strap onto the A-pillar, rattled loose. They put some Loc-tite on the bolt, torqued it down and the problem was fixed. Dealer said the bolt was apparently only finger-tight when it left the factory. Dealer put me in a rental vehicle, at no charge, for the day they had my TDI. I hope that's the only problem I have for the next few years.

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
That is a new one for 10 let us know what the problem was.

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SportWagen
might turn into a lemon, let us know what "fix's" it and if the problem comes back. If it comes back i would research the lemon laws in your state and possibly lawyer up