A/C Compressor Refrigerant Control Valve

kfcoltn

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have a 06 Jetta BRM, with the intermittent AC problem. In my case I believe the cause is a sticky refrigerant control valve in the compressor. Has anyone found a source for this valve( the one held in by one allen head bolt)? I hate to buy a complete compressor if all I need is the valve.

Thanks, Tern

carlosabh

TDI
Jetta
I have a 06 Jetta BRM, with the intermittent AC problem. In my case I believe the cause is a sticky refrigerant control valve in the compressor. Has anyone found a source for this valve( the one held in by one allen head bolt)? I hate to buy a complete compressor if all I need is the valve.

Thanks, Tern
I just ordered one for my 06 from ACTION-ac.com for 50 bucks, I'll change it maybe next weekend, hope this cures the a/c without needing a compressor replacement. You have to check what compressor is for, in my case it has a Zexel compressor.

Last edited:

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I had this exact problem and fixed it by replacing the valve.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I paid an A/C repair place to replace the RCV. Success!

Yes, the valve can be replaced without removing the compressor. Mine was only held in by one hex bolt. I could have done it myself if I had the equipment and knowledge needed to evacuate and recharge the system.

June 21, 2012 I called Polar Bear, Inc, Ft. Lauderdale, FL (954)-463-6610 and ordered their part number PXE13-16 CONT VLV EARL with a price of $61.54, plus tax and shipping total of $79.69.

June 23 of 2012, I paid Ice Cold Auto Air in Clearwater, FL $36 plus tax to replace the defective valve with the valve that I supplied them. They charged me another $90 plus tax to evacuate and then recharge the system. They warned me that there would be no warranty on the repair, as I was supplying the part and dictating the procedure.

My 2006 Jetta A/C has performed flawlessly since then, here in Florida.

Your results may vary.

Can you replace the valve without removing the compressor?

Last edited:

PilotUH60

TDI
2010 Jetta
It seems that I have this problem on my 2010 Jetta TDI. I currently have a Sanden compressor model number 1601 with the snap ring RCV. I am going to try and order the correct RCV and replace it, I will post the results.

tooreal

TDI
2006 VW Jetta 1.9 TDI, 5-speed Manual, package 1, DOM 10/06. Tinted windows, Rear Spoiler, Reflex Silver
My air conditioner was acting like this last year when one of my fans went out, I replaced the fan but then it cooled off and I didn't need the air until this month. Now it just doesn't cool at all ever even though the clutch in it engages? Now I'm not sure if it's just the switch or not? My gauges and can if Freon are at a friend's house and they are out if town in vacation :-[ . I sure with that I could check the pressure on both sides to see if it is equalized, I think that would mean it's a Bad compressor?

Or could it be the internal switch by testing it like that? Anyone know fOr sure?

tooreal

TDI
2006 VW Jetta 1.9 TDI, 5-speed Manual, package 1, DOM 10/06. Tinted windows, Rear Spoiler, Reflex Silver
My air conditioner was acting like this last year when one of my fans went out, I replaced the fan but then it cooled off and I didn't need the air until this last month. Now it just doesn't cool at all ever even though the clutch on it engages? Now I'm not sure if it's just the switch or not? My gauges and can of Freon are at a friend's house and they are out of town on vacation :-[ . I sure wish that I could check the pressure on both sides to see if it is equalized, I think that would mean it's a Bad compressor?

Or could it be the internal switch making the Freon equalise, if I put a set of gauges on it? Anyone know for sure? It sure had been HOT here.

Last edited:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Your 2006 AC system does not have a clutch. It only has a breakaway mount.
So take a look at it and see if the center of the AC compressor pulley is spinning with the outside.

If it is spinning and has high pressure on the low side, and low pressure on the high side, then the RCV failure is likely. You can read the current to the RCV with VCDS, and check the interlock signal status to make sure.

When you say "testing it like that" what do you mean?

tooreal

TDI
Thank you for the quick answer :).

If I could get to my gauges I would check the pressure on the High & Low side and see if the pressure was equal on each side, like if it had a bad valve. That's what I was going to look for if that makes since?
You answered my question because the center part of the compressor is spinning (I was guessing it had a clutch) Thanks for correcting me about it not having one. So if the center part is spinning (even though I can't get to my gauges) it sounds like it may be the pressure switch. Does that sound right? It was charged up last year when it would intermittently cool and sometimes it tries to blow coolish air.

I can't get the wires unplugged to see what is holding it in place? I guess 7 years of being stuck on that plug makes it want to stay there.? I don't want to break the plastic 2 wire plug, but I may have too?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
The VW plugs can be a bear to remove sometimes.
Push it on hard, very hard, and wiggle it a half dozen times.
Push it on very hard, then squeeze the tab in and pull back on the tab first, then the whole connector.

Keep after it and it will come off.

Their are several interlocks that can prevent the compressor from loading. These would give the same effect as a totally failed RCV. The easiest way to check this is with the VCDS (VAG-COM Diagnostic System) from Ross-Tech.

Take a look here and here and here

PilotUH60

TDI
2010 Jetta
Replaced RCV and it works Awesome!

It seems that I have this problem on my 2010 Jetta TDI. I currently have a Sanden compressor model number 1601 with the snap ring RCV. I am going to try and order the correct RCV and replace it, I will post the results.
I just completed the replacement of the RCV on my compressor and it works Great!! :) It was a pretty easy task. I jacked-up the passenger side, removed the lower cover under the car, de-serviced the 134A from the system, disconnected the electrical connection to the RCV, removed the snap-ring and pulled the valve out. I oiled the O-rings on the new RCV and installed it and recharged the system to 19 oz. of 134A. It works like a new one! A much cheaper and easier route than a new compressor!! Thanks for the help on this Forum! :D

Side note: There was a small amount of trash on the screen of my old RCV, not sure if it had anything to do with the failure. I will try to post a picture of it later.

Last edited:

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Mine had a small amount of trash on the screen as well. The other type does not have the same filter if the pictures I have seen are correct. I tink the bolt on is the later type, but I am not sure.
I also don't know if that trash contributed to the sticking or not, but most new systems of all types have some products of wear-in floating around in them. This RCV is not a valve, but rather it seems to be a filter. A rather inconvienient filter at that.

JDB

tooreal

TDI
Well I finally got my RCV held in with the snap ring replaced, getting the electrical plug off was the hardest part for me? I finally took a 90° pick and slid it in the side of the clip and it pulled right off! I felt rather dense when I finally figured out how it came off, but I did get it off and removed the snap ring with no trouble at all. Slid in the new valve & ring, vacuumed the system and charged it up with 18.75 Oz of 134a.I noticed the fans weren't running like I remember them fluctuating on & off like it use too, so I checked the fuses and found a couple that had obviously been moved? After I finally found where they went and moved them to the right place everything worked Great! Got a friend with his VAG CON to clear all of the old fault codes.
It's putting out 41° air on a 88° Day with 60% Humidity, so it feels Awesome to say the least!;-)
Thanks to Joe at Polar Bear for getting me the past so Fast. They sell compressors for just over $300.00 so the Stealer Ship or (Dealer Ship) can keep their $1,300.00 A/C services, and that wasn't the total with labor and everything!

Thank you all for the Help :).
This forum Is The Best
Eric

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
I bought my gauges and vacuum pump at harbor freight and they worked OK for me.
Much less than the compressor.
The gauge set ~ $50.00 air driven vacuum pump ~$30.00 if you have a big enough compressor. ~$150.00 for an electric unit. Two different models are available single and two stage. ayour choice. Still cheaper then the compressor and you still need them if you replace that compressor.

JDB

Lood

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Jetta TDI AC not blowing cold air

The new compressors have a control valve operated by the ECU. It removes the pressure from the system if more power is required from the engine.

These valves are notorious for sticking open and then your compressor cannot build-up pressure to make the AC work. The simple way is to replace the valve.

Price range from $25 to $80 for the valve. To find the valve you have to know your compressor make and model. Like SANDEN 1601 for example. And you can find the valve.

It looks more or less like this, depending on your compressor model:

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
Close, but not quite correct.
The valve uses the refrigerant to control the displacement of the pump by varying the swash plate.
The computer MAY reduce the output at peak hp demand, but it's main purpose is to control the cooling by varying the output of the compressor. This is how the computer controls temperature.
They do seem to stick and cause all kinds of problem.
The compressors no longer have a clutch to engage/disengage the compressor.

techman

TDI
2006 Jetta
I just performed this repair on my girlfriends 06 Jetta 2.5.. It fixed the a/c right up! It is easy to replace the valve after the refridgerant is recovered.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I have a friend who replaced this valve on his car. His biggest problem was finding a shop that would do it. Anyway, I have a question. The info in this thread tells me which valve to buy if I have a Sanden compressor (by how they are mounted). How do I tell if I have a Sanden or a Zexel compressor? Apparently VW has used both. Is there a name on it? Are they shaped differently? I want to be prepared. Las Vegas in the summer is bad news without good AC.

Have Fun!

Don