For those looking for a MKIV Jetta hitch

Thorne

Veteran Member
Excellent deal, usually costs twice that. If it is like the Curt hitch, you may want to use one or two bottle jacks to push it up tight against the attachment points to get the best fit.

Romi

Veteran Member
Thanks! I just ordered one. I'm gonna take off the 1 1/4" tube though and weld a 2" receiver tube in it's place. All my racks and accessories are made for the 2' receivers.

Milage King

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TD tuned
Thanks

rchiu said:
Just thought I'd share with all of you, this great deal:

A Drawtite hitch with drawbar, pin and clip for $100 USD delivered - While quantities last!

http://www.hitch-web.com/proDescrip.asp?ProductCode=388704&OID=8

Just received mine via DHL ... and for those in Canada, it's shipped from within Canada so you avoid customs and brokerage fees!
I just order one, thanks for the info, thats a steal with free ship to boot.

J2E

TDI
2003 Jetta 5 spd
Ordered mine as well from Dayton OH. We'll see what happens. Also picked up a 1 7/8 ball at the same time.

J2E

TDI
2003 Jetta 5 spd
Got my hitch and ball in today, but no removable drawbar or pin. Emailing to find out what's up.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
How many other brands/options are there for our cars and how do they compare?

Romi

Veteran Member
From just looking at the various web sites, they all appear to mount the same way. There are several brands out there, draw tight and hidden hitch, reese etc.

I installed mine after welding on the 2" receiver in place of the 1.25", and it went on easier than I expected. I'll test it out tomorrow with the bike rack on it.

FlashandFlare

Veteran Member
TDI
03,Jetta GLS Reflex on Blk leather, 06 Jetta Blk on Blk Pkg 2
I paid that maybe a few bucks less from a seller/retailer on eBay who is from Eau-Claire Wisconsin. Hidden Hitch with the draw bar, 2in ball and the harness shipped for free. None the less, great deal for a $100 bones.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Thanks for the info I just ordered one, I hope I made a good choice.

Romi besides being stronger what is the difference between having 2" than 1.25"?

Milage King

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TD tuned
Mines installed and working nicely. I didn 't even pay attention to the free draw bar, mine didn't come with one either. I ordered a 4" rise from E-trailer and a powered module kit, trailer level and lights up nicely.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
MAXRPM said:

Romi besides being stronger what is the difference between having 2" than 1.25"?
I have put a number of receivers on full size trucks over the years.

What I have found is the weakest point is where the hitch bolts on to the vehicle. When a receiver fails on a full frame truck, the bolts typically tear holes through the frame of the truck or the end of the frame horns are sheered off of the truck. The hitch comes off of the truck largely intact.

I would guess it is pretty much the same for our cars. The receiver hitch assembly, no matter what size, 1.25" or 2", is much stronger than the attachment points.

I suspect the main reason 1.25" is the standard size offered rather than 2" is to discourage overloading the hitch which will only cause it to tear away from the car no matter what size the receiver hole is.

Romi

Veteran Member
MAXRPM said:

I only changed to the 2" receiver because all my accessories are for a 2" receiver hitch. I will never tow with the Jetta so overloading it is not an issue. I didn't want to use an adaptor that goes from 1.25" to 2" because the hitch would then stick out too far, have too much slop/sway in it, and put too much leverage on the hitch and it's mounting points. Manufacturers use the 1.25" hitches to try and limit what you will tow so that you don't overload their hitches. Just keep the ratings in mind when you use your hitch, regardless of the receiver size, and you should be fine.

It worked well on the way to work this morning. I only had one bike on the Thule T2 rack but I didn't notice any sway or bouncing, even when hitting 85 mph on the interstate. I'm picking up my brother and his bike after work to go riding so will double the weight on the hitch, but will be way under the hitches rating of 200# tongue weight.

Smokin' Dually

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I picked up a used one at a local yard a couple years ago for $35. I just checked car-parts.com and the same place has another one for $40. If you go used be sure to tell them to get the backing plates.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
What is a good bike rack that hold 2 bikes at least with this hitch? any recomendations? I am new at this so any advice on a specific model.

J2E

TDI
2003 Jetta 5 spd
MAXRPM they have one on the hitch-web site, it's $160ish. Also note for everyone getting the drawbar included, it's 13/16th in diameter so buy your ball accordingly. The one I bought through them was too big. So now it's buy a different drawbar or a different ball. I guess I'll decide when I get my trailer. :mad:

Romi

Veteran Member
MAXRPM said:
What is a good bike rack that hold 2 bikes at least with this hitch? any recomendations? I am new at this so any advice on a specific model.
I have the Thule T2 rack and love it. That rack in the link should work as long as your bike fits...IE full suspension bikes may not fit that style rack, I know mine won't. The T2 holds two bikes and can be expanded to fit four. However, I'm not sure of the 1.25" hitch version can be expanded to 4 bikes. One thing to look for in receiver mount bike racks is a bolt or shim that is used to eliminate the sway that is inherent in that type of rack setup.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Romi how much did you pay for the T-2 rack? is the T-2 b bolted or shimmed?, so I imagine there is no sway. Do they make T-2 in 1/25" hitch? sorry for all this questions but I would proably have to go to REI to check them all out, when it comes to hitches I am in LALA land.

Thorne

Veteran Member
The other option is to get an adapter from class I to class II -- but this can add sway to the whole setup.

Romi

Veteran Member
MAXRPM said:
Romi how much did you pay for the T-2 rack? is the T-2 b bolted or shimmed?, so I imagine there is no sway. Do they make T-2 in 1/25" hitch? sorry for all this questions but I would proably have to go to REI to check them all out, when it comes to hitches I am in LALA land.
Well, I picked up the Thule T2 for $50 at an REI scratch and dent sale. I believe someone bought the rack for a one time trip and then returned it taking advantage of REI's liberal return policy, the rack was in like new condition and had all the parts. Normally it's about a $300 rack, although REI has frequent 20% off coupons you could use. They do make the T2 in a 1.25" version as well. The T2 attaches with your hitch pin and then has a bolt that tightens into a nut welded onto the rack tube. That eliminates any sway in the system. It sits kind of low, but I have yet to drag it on anything. Just something to keep in mind if you decide to use an adpator since the whole rack will stick out further. I have the 2" version of the T2 since the rack gets shared among various vehicles that all have 2" receivers. I did have to cut off the 1.25" and weld on a 2" tube, but it has worked out great.

bungy42

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I just ordered mine. It's somewhat irritating that the wagon version is $35 more than the sedan version. Still a darn good price though.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Robert,

Let me know how this turns out. I did try to go that route at first but one of the bracket interfered with the dual tip we put on.

I ended up returning that hitch and going with a different model.

I hope it fits OK for you

P

MAXRPM said:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
tothemax said:
Robert,
Let me know how this turns out. I did try to go that route at first but one of the bracket interfered with the dual tip we put on.
I ended up returning that hitch and going with a different model.
I hope it fits OK for you
P

Shoot, Pierre, I got the hitch from hitchweb, and sure enough like you said, it did not fit, the side of the bracket was hitting the dual tips, so I went the same route you went, I returned it for the refund, then I got me the Curt hitch, man was I glad I made the switch, this Curt hitch is way better than the hitchweb, 17 Lbs, compared to a whooping 34Lbs, and easier to install, the only thing is that it is more expensive, the regular price is $153.00, it was on special 10% off last Tuesday, so I got it for $138.00 + free ship, and for those interested in one, there is a sale going on right now for 15% plus free ship so it would probably be cheaper than what I paid.

I got the Hitch yesterday super speedy delivery, and I went ahead and installed it last nite, all I have to say it's a beautiful hitch.

here is the link for the hitch and the sale.

http://www.autoanything.com/?kc=YAH...tandard&OVADID=10164700012&OVKWID=31666728512

Last edited:

kirmet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Galactic Blue
MAXRPM said:
The Tule T2 is probably the best hitch mount because it will work on any bike.

I have a 2" version and want to use the 1" 1/4 to 2" adapter but don't think it will be secure enough. Anyone using one yet?

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
I will check the T2 out, maybe REI has them and I can go see them..

azianjiu

TDI
2000 Jetta
Draw-Tite Class 1 hitch used for bike carrier

Hello,

I have a Draw-Tite Class 1 hitch preexisiting on my car which is 1 1/4". I assumed that if I bought a bike rack that was 1 1/4" that it would fit. I bought a Yakima Big Horn 4 bike rack and tried to install it on my hitch. The adapter itself is it a 1 1/4" however when I tried placing it into the hole it fits, however it seems to stop short of being able to place the pin in the hole of the adapter. I am wondering if there is a solution to this. I called yakima and they said that some companies put a stopper in their class 1 hitches in order to prevent people from installing bike racks since they're not really designed to be carried by class 1 hitches. I've heard of someone saying that a class 1 hitch could be modified to a class 2 which would fit this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kendrick

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Mark the bike rack and drill a new hole, or shorten the length past the hole so it fits. I personally would shorten the arm so it's closer to the car and less leverage on the hitch. They make 1 1/4 to 2 adapters but this will further complicate the leverage factor because it just adds 6+ inches from the back of the vehicle.

Last edited: