www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old November 21st, 2017, 07:53   #3496
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

We have an LTL transfer station across the street from my office. I'd guess that at any time of the day, there are probably two dozen tractors sitting on the lot. Figure that's probably 10% of their total fleet. Let's assume 240 tractors on a 10% per year replacement schedule. Musk wants a $5000 hold payment per tractor, so that's $120,000 that is no longer available for replacing tractors or maintenance on the other tractors. Unless Mush is paying interest on that money, it looks like a substantial drain on the cash value of the company.
Old Today, 06:12   #3497
CraziFuzzy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
Interesting but call me a skeptic on some of the claims.

Megawatt-rated charging hardware that is safe and manageable for a normal person to handle (in all weather conditions!) is going to be ... interesting.

Back-of-notepad calculations suggest that the 500 mi / 800 km range might be achievable under exceptionally ideal conditions with bare-mimimum 400 kWh on the low side; Tesla claims "less than 2 kWh/mile" which means the battery could be as much as 1000 kWh. I'm sure that if it were less than 1 kWh/mile they would have said so ... so move the bare minimum to 500 kWh and could be as much as 1000 kWh. Let's guess 800 kWh.

80% charge of that in 30 minutes requires 1.3 MW ... That requires both a lot of amps AND a lot of volts.

A state of the art lithium battery is somewhere around 250 W.h / kg, so that 800 kWh battery will weigh 3200 kg ... that's actually not as bad as it could be. This is for the cell only; the pack weighs about as much again. So the weight of the battery is up there, but it could be worse.
The charging cables are not likely all that cumbersome (though obviously moreso than current supercharger cables). That said, when dealing with only charging one model of vehicle, in one place, a suspended cable would make things quite easy to deal with. Remember, these are not being used by 'the public', these are going to be used primarily by trained fleet operators.

I see these trucks being used for routine last leg delivery routes, pushing 200-400 miles/day, where they'd still only be charged back at the distribution center overnight in most cases. I picture the local walmart or target distribution centers that cover 30 or 40 stores loving these things.
CraziFuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote