www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old October 26th, 2017, 07:55   #1036
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
We're at the end of a long bull market. Your return on the $50K over the next five years could as easily be less than that 4.5% interest. Think 2006-2011. Or 1986 -1991. Or 1970-1975. Ten year return on the S&P 500 is 7.4%.
That was just a line in the sand. It would be nice to think that my 401K will continue to grow at almost 20% but I took those rose colored glasses off a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler View Post
I went into this with my eyes opened and am aware of the possibility of losing potential gains. and even if it does wind up costing me ~$48k in earnings in the next 4 years, when i am 65 in 25 years and i have ~$1,800,000 in the account versus ~$2,200,000 after compounding am I really going to notice the difference? in the mean time, I will enjoy my paid for car now.
As we often say, we are all in different places in life. Within 10 (maybe 5) years, I will be retired and living off that 401K. At this point in my life, $60K makes a big difference.
Old October 26th, 2017, 22:22   #1037
Viz

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Keep in mind that you get the interest, not the 401(k) provider. At least that's the case for many plan providers. So if the rate is higher you're just paying yourself more interest. This is the plan's way of providing you with some capital appreciation of the loan funds as they are paid back.
That's all true, however, unless IRS rules have changed, that interest money that you pay back to yourself in the 401(K), is going to be taxed at the same rate that the rest of the 401(K) funds are taxed at. Why is that a concern?
Because you already paid the tax on that interest money as part of your ordinary income tax. So the interest money will, in effect, be taxed twice.
Viz is offline   Reply With Quote