www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5)

Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) Discussions area for Audi Q7 and Q5 TDI (2009+ in Canada & the US).

Old February 17th, 2017, 14:48   #16
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

No, they are in dieselgate just like the Touareg.
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 20:45   #17
Dr Chill
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2015 A8L TDI

I drove a Q5 TDI followed by a Cayenne diesel after learning about my buyback amount for my 15 A3 TDI. Then I made a trip 45 minutes away to drive a 14 A8L TDI. After that I focused only on a facelifted 15-16 A8L TDI until I found the color and price that was right for me. The A8L TDI is an amazing car. The 3.0 liter TDI is an amazing motor regardless which vehicle it comes in. I still can't believe I am getting 38 highway mpg in such a huge heavy vehicle. When my dashboard says 780 mile range when I fill up always brings a smile to my face.
Dr Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2017, 14:33   #18
lml999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythdoc View Post
Hi! Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a 2011 Touareg TDI owner awaiting buyback. I couldn't face a future without diesel torque so I just purchased a 2015 Q5 TDI. I am confident that the 3.0l gen 2 fix will leave us in good shape. Also I am betting that good service on the TDI engine will be available either through my Audi dealer or third party mechanics in Knoxville, a city with several Euro-brand independent mechanics. That said, the generous buyback is what enables me to swap into the Q5, gaining four model years and losing 64000 odometer miles (from 72k to 8k)..
I'm thinking about the same move, from a '10 TDI with air suspension. Do you find much difference in ride or handling in the Q5 versus the Touareg? Did you consider a newer Touareg?

Thanks!
lml999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 15:34   #19
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

You’ll feel the difference going down from a large SUV to a midsize. On the one hand the Touareg is large, a bit slower in the corners, but unquestionably dependable in wet and snow. On the other hand the Q5 is faster, handles better, gets ridiculously better mileage, but smaller and doesn’t tow. For me, the Q5 drives better and is a more refined car. The smaller size and having to be a little more cautious in wet and snow were acceptable trade offs. I love my Q5 even more than I did my Treg.

2011 Touareg TDI 74K Miles (slated for buyback)
Old September 23rd, 2017, 18:10   #20
tobianogreg
Veteran Member

Doesn't tow? I'm considering a Q5 TDI and am wondering about this statement. Is the problem the tail wagging the dog scenario with the shorter wheelbase cause it sounds like Q5's have the torque for it.

Thanks.
tobianogreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 20:56   #21
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

The Q5 is capable of towing a modest load, 4500 lbs if I recall correctly. The Touareg has a tow rating of 7600 lbs and can tow a two slot horse trailer or a decent sized boat. Yes, the torque is there but if you drove both cars you’d sense the difference in vehicle weight, stability, and suspension.

2011 Touareg TDI 74K Miles (slated for buyback)
Old October 3rd, 2017, 15:11   #22
bhuizer

We have a 2014 Touareg TDI and a 2014 Q5 TDI. If I had to pick one vehicle to own it would be the Touareg hands down because it can do anything. However, if you ask my wife she would pick the Q5 because of it's nimble handling and power. They are similar, but two totally different cars. If you spend most of your time on the highway or in the city, the Q5 would be a good choice. If you want to use it for anything utility wise (towing, hauling, offroad driving) then I would go with the Touareg. It also has noticeably more interior room. On the flip side the Q5 is a beast, gets excellent mileage (35mpg on the highway), and the Bang and Olufsen stereo is awesome in the Audi!

I guess you could just be like us and get both! Lol

Last edited by bhuizer; October 3rd, 2017 at 15:14.
bhuizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2017, 03:52   #23
BarryT82
Veteran Member

We love our Q5 TDI’s. My wife and I both have one. The only issue that we’ve had was with the backup camera on both vehicles. I noticed that my wife’s camera stopped displaying in color so I took it to the dealership and they changed it. While it was there they checked a few others that were on the lot and they had the same issue. About a month later my Q5 had the same issue and the service manager told me that I was the first to bring one in for the issue, but they’d seen 10+ vehicles since then with the same issue.
BarryT82 is offline   Reply With Quote