www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old August 12th, 2017, 22:06   #1
JettaTDlie

TDI(s): '02 Golf
Default .216s with VNT17

I'm currently running a Malone stage 3 tune with SBC2 Daily, and Bosio 1019s (clutch/nozzles from previous owner) on my MK4 ALH. Just rolled over 300,000km and the original turbo is dying... takes a few shifts after start up to come off 0psi (with a mean whistle and little power), and consistently spikes to 25-30PSI at WOT.

I will be upgrading to a VNT17 shortly, along with a 3bar map sensor, which I believe will be the limit of my current clutch and injectors. I realize that .216s are relatively small but am wondering if they will limit my VNT17? I am not looking to change them, assuming they can optimize the VNT17, and I don't plan on getting into a VNT17/21 in the future. I was happy enough with my stage 3 tune... but why not upgrade if I'm already replacing! Any thoughts appreciated

Last edited by JettaTDlie; August 12th, 2017 at 22:11.
JettaTDlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 22:45   #2
h4vok
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettaTDlie View Post
I'm currently running a Malone stage 3 tune with SBC2 Daily, and Bosio 1019s (clutch/nozzles from previous owner) on my MK4 ALH. Just rolled over 300,000km and the original turbo is dying... takes a few shifts after start up to come off 0psi (with a mean whistle and little power), and consistently spikes to 25-30PSI at WOT.

I will be upgrading to a VNT17 shortly, along with a 3bar map sensor, which I believe will be the limit of my current clutch and injectors. I realize that .216s are relatively small but am wondering if they will limit my VNT17? I am not looking to change them, assuming they can optimize the VNT17, and I don't plan on getting into a VNT17/21 in the future. I was happy enough with my stage 3 tune... but why not upgrade if I'm already replacing! Any thoughts appreciated
The DLC1019 can flow quite a bit of fuel so it will be good. Are you going to get retuned? If not you should not need a new map and you will just need to adjust the actuator to run around 19psi wot.

h4vok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 23:08   #3
JettaTDlie

TDI(s): '02 Golf

Was thinking I'd get a retune from Malone... not a huge price for an upgrade from stage 3 to 4 as a returning customer
Old August 14th, 2017, 15:16   #4
h4vok
Veteran Member

If you are still on the stock intercooler check out fixmyvw they have a upgraded side mount then throw a 3bar map on for $200 total. You will want it with the extra boost pressure as you will heat soak the stock one like crazy. Personally I would say the DLC1019 are good for 90% of setups out there and I would not hesitate to run them with a vnt17 or 17/22. I think you will be very happy with the end result.

h4vok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 02:41   #5
nikolay_ss

TDI(s): 1.9TDI ALH

I was running Bosio 1019 DLC on max voltage(4.46V) with GT1749VA at 1.4 bar and there was no smoke behind the car, car feels great and good response on throttle, those nozzles makes great injection, you can check my acceleration video at 5th gear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcp5P9rGrrk

Last edited by nikolay_ss; August 16th, 2017 at 03:02.
nikolay_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 13:01   #6
Owain@malonetuning

Yes these are great nozzles. I'd recommend running an 11mm pump if you want to really max out the turbo and squeeze the last 10-15hp out of it, but it'll support the turbo just fine. Larger pump will result in shorter durations, so less heat for the same power. We're running 1.6 bar on the VNT17s, or 1.5 on the 2.5 bar sensor (which I don't recommend since you won't be able to log boost-spikes comfortably).

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote