Preparing a road trip

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
I'm gonna be driving from columbus ohio area back home to wilmington nc area. Any ideas about where to go or sites to see or things to do? I drive the route (33-77-40) often but usually without stopping. I'd like to make a road trip out of it.

I'd love to have any and all ideas or suggestions (even of different routes)

Last edited:

Michael M Perez

TDI
Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Bear in mind that your vehicle is going to be your mobile home. If small kids are there, childproof accordingly. Tune up your car for smooth sailing. NHTSA recommends travelers to have tires, battery, belts, fluids and air conditioners duly checked by a professional mechanic.
Do check for road safety tips at http://universe.byu.edu/2017/05/02/tips-and-tricks-for-a-safe-and-successful-road-trip/
I would suggest you get a panzar plate for the engine, basic tools, extra spare tire (same size as your vehicle).
Also make arrangements for the spare fuel filter, extra cell phone chargers, credit cards with lots of credit :) battery.
Try avoiding the rainy season. Secure your home before the trip. Fortify your homes with window and door security bar. Place a hold on mail, newspaper and other deliveries when you are away. Hire a lawn care company. And get motion detectors installed.
Go with the best network service available. Ham Radio might come in handy. Carry windshield cleaner, a gallon or two of water, air pump with a bottle of slime.
Get a good night's sleep for safe driving and switch between adults. Get your car booster seats checked for correct installation. Gear yourself for safety with the emergency kit which includes water, warm blankets, a flashlight, jumper cables, flares, tools to change a tire, a fully charged cell phone, a first aid kit. Check for smoking hazards.
Do share your experience and let us know about your trip.
While driving, ignore phone calls, take a long view and look away from lights.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I would head a bit farther north.

US 50 into West Virginia. very nice drive, if a bit on the curvy side.

you can get a room or camp at Blackwater Falls State Park. check out the falls, and a short walk to Lindy Point overlook.

You then can pick up part of the Shenandoah NP and Blue Ridge Parkway if you like

If you want more citified stuff, there is lots to see in DC, but a bit out of the way