www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old March 13th, 2017, 17:41   #16
16vjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada_TDI View Post
As far as I know my VCDS doesn't have a VIN limitation, but I have never put Vin's in, so I really don't know. I have scanned a couple dozen cars so far and never entered their VIN's. I purchased my cable 8 or 9 years ago; maybe this is a fairly new thing I don't know about.
It's a new thing that started this year. To do any configuration (adaptation, etc), it will automatically record the vin and burn it to memory where it can't ever be removed. The only way around it is to increase your "license" count at the software level.

15 Jetta TDI 31k // 11 Ford Fusion
Retired: 13 Passat, Buyback // 01 Jetta TDI 177k // 98 Jetta TDI 291k // 00 Jetta TDI 240k // 91 300D 2.5T // 90 Jetta TD
16vjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 17:45   #17
16vjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revpeach View Post
I Live in Monticello, IA and have a micro-can for sale for $ 125, if you're interested. Turned in my Jetta so I don't need it anymore. PM if interested.
Tempting offer... someone will buy it. Unfortunately, I need support for my 2001 Jetta. Thanks sir.

15 Jetta TDI 31k // 11 Ford Fusion
Retired: 13 Passat, Buyback // 01 Jetta TDI 177k // 98 Jetta TDI 291k // 00 Jetta TDI 240k // 91 300D 2.5T // 90 Jetta TD

Last edited by 16vjohn; March 13th, 2017 at 17:48.
16vjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 00:56   #18
AnotherPerson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1999 Beetle

Thinking about it. This must be part of the forced firmware update. My cable won't do the firmware update so I'm stuck with old software but it don't bother me. I tried posting about the problem in the rosstech forums but they keep telling me to update my software and give them some into about the dongle when it won't work. Go figure :/. And on a side note they now charge you for ownership transfer of a used cable. Even if it's a unlimited one that was purchased a while back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AnotherPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 07:26   #19
pdq import repair
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5

I fully support Ross-tech. For the level of software capabilities per dollar spent it is far above any of the competition. To get this level of software capability with anyone else you have to spend several thousand dollars.

Their policy from the very start was to charge you upfront and support the product for free. I often wondered how they could support themselves on software and cable sales alone.

Several years back they started talking about a support charge, where you would pay to get support on a per problem or yearly subscription basis. I thought at the time that it was a good decision and offered to sign right up for the yearly subscription. I was told that they didn't have the pricing quite figured out at that time and they would still support me for free. I guess they eventually scrapped the idea.

I only wish they would venture out into other car lines as well. I would gladly buy a cable per car line to get the same abilities as offered on VAG cars. I think though that they understand the premise "Do one thing only and do it well."
pdq import repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 09:04   #20
CarlosF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revpeach View Post
I Live in Monticello, IA and have a micro-can for sale for $ 125, if you're interested. Turned in my Jetta so I don't need it anymore. PM if interested.
You've been PMed.
CarlosF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 07:31   #21
jef@rosstech
Associate Ross-Tech Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq import repair View Post
Several years back they started talking about a support charge, where you would pay to get support on a per problem or yearly subscription basis. I thought at the time that it was a good decision and offered to sign right up for the yearly subscription. I was told that they didn't have the pricing quite figured out at that time and they would still support me for free. I guess they eventually scrapped the idea.
We charge for vehicle support over the phone now, have been since 2011 or so.

https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/ts_annual/

Now we do have free product support over the phone for our registered customers. This covers help with installing the software, or some trouble shooting if you can't communicate with the car as a whole. We want our customers to be up and running.

Of course people can get free vehicle support on the web, we have our own Ross-Tech forum just for this. And of course here at TDIClub is another free resource.

What should you do first with VCDS? AUTOSCAN!
jef@rosstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 16:07   #22
BobnOH
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef@rosstech View Post
...................Now we do have free product support over the phone for our registered customers. ..............
Jeff-If I do buy a used unit, what's the process to become a Registered User? (cost?)
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 07:11   #23
jef@rosstech
Associate Ross-Tech Vendor
w/Business number

If a person purchases a used Ross-Tech kit and wishes to become a registered customers, then they would need to purchase a license. Details here:

https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VUDOT

What should you do first with VCDS? AUTOSCAN!
jef@rosstech is offline   Reply With Quote