Gen 1 Fix **WHERE IS IT**

jeepnguy

TDI
2011 JSW
It's been over 45 calendar days, and 42 business days since final submittal from VW to the EPA. Do they go by calendar days or business days? Getting antsy!

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
It's been over 45 calendar days, and 42 business days since final submittal from VW to the EPA. Do they go by calendar days or business days? Getting antsy!
I hope that you are not holding your breath. It is not likely to ever exist...Mark

Yukon4Runner

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf (buyback) 2015 Golf Sportwagen (buyback buy)
Depends...you think there's a whole lotta EPA bureaucrats working weekends?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Once folks start getting their gen 1 cars fixed, I'd suggest setting some of that money aside for a CP3 hpfp swap.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Given the nondisclosure agreement, no one knows if the various parties have held to the original schedule. 45 business days from 27 January is still a couple weeks out.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Everything with the settlement has been business days. Why would this be any different? And as Gofaster pointed out, we have no idea what's been going on behind the closed doors. They may have an approved fix or they may have decided to push it off another year.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Looking around.....WHAT'S THAT BEHIND THE COUCH??!?!?

cooljay

TDI
2013 Golf
I decided to go ahead and switch from the fix to the buyback today. Got tired of not knowing *IF* a fix would even become available and when that would be.

jeepnguy

TDI
2011 JSW
Given the nondisclosure agreement, no one knows if the various parties have held to the original schedule. 45 business days from 27 January is still a couple weeks out.
It's actually the end of next week as 45 biz days.

jeepnguy

TDI
2011 JSW
I hope that you are not holding your breath. It is not likely to ever exist...Mark
I really don't want to have another car payment. Payed this one off last year. "IF" a fix does become available, and it is does not completely destroy the MPG, I will do the fix. If it comes out that it takes it down into the low 30's, and is a mechanical nightmare to install, then I will either not fix it, or go for the buyout. I really like this car and fits needs for everyday life. I'm not butt hurt like some out there that feel they have been wronged by VW. I could care less if they cheated. It's still a much cleaner option to any of the trucks driving around. Especially when the trucks are "rollin coal".

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
I really don't want to have another car payment. Payed this one off last year. "IF" a fix does become available, and it is does not completely destroy the MPG, I will do the fix. If it comes out that it takes it down into the low 30's, and is a mechanical nightmare to install, then I will either not fix it, or go for the buyout. I really like this car and fits needs for everyday life. I'm not butt hurt like some out there that feel they have been wronged by VW. I could care less if they cheated. It's still a much cleaner option to any of the trucks driving around. Especially when the trucks are "rollin coal".
I disn't mean to be trite. I just don't think that they can come up with a reasonable fix for the gen ones. My Beetle especially would need to be hacked up in order to fit all of the equipment that it would need installed. That doesn't mean that they can't work a carbon credit deal or something, but I don't think so, IMHO. I like my car, but I really didn't need it, I bought it on a lark and I never would have bought it in the first place, if they had not lied about it. That makes the buyback decision easy for me. Mine goes back on the first of April and it will be the end of the saga...Mark

donallen

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6M
I disn't mean to be trite. I just don't think that they can come up with a reasonable fix for the gen ones. My Beetle especially would need to be hacked up in order to fit all of the equipment that it would need installed.
Obviously, what you do with your car is your business. But you seem to have made a decision based on little knowledge or homework.

First of all, it has been discussed to death on this forum that a compromise was reached with the judge (Breyer) to allow the Gen 1 cars to meet a relaxed standard, since most of the states are accepting environmental damage mitigation payments from VW and meeting the original standard without a urea injection system, which cannot be retrofitted, is impossible.

Secondly, it has also been frequently discussed that there have been credible news reports that the nature of the Gen 1 fix is a replacement catalytic converter and changes to the fuel injection strategy, which would not require "hacking up" your car.

And if you don't drive the car more than the annual mileage allowance, there's no cost to waiting a year or so to see if there's an acceptable fix, other than the small risk that you total it, in which case you would still get the restitution payment, plus the insurance co. valuation, probably somewhat less than the buyout price.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I disn't mean to be trite. I just don't think that they can come up with a reasonable fix for the gen ones.

My Beetle especially would need to be hacked up in order to fit all of the equipment that it would need installed. That doesn't mean that they can't work a carbon credit deal or something, but I don't think so,

IMHO. I like my car, but I really didn't need it, I bought it on a lark and I never would have bought it in the first place, if they had not lied about it. That makes the buyback decision easy for me.

Mine goes back on the first of April and it will be the end of the saga...Mark
IMO ~~ there will not be a fix for GEN 1

And BTW ~~ Most GEN 1 cars are old and high(er) in mileage Take the $$$$s and run

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Keep in mind that the Gen1 2.0 liter TDIs do not have to be brought into compliance with the standards they were originally certified to meet. There's a more lenient NOx standard negotiated as part of the consent decree that the fix has to meet.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Secondly, it has also been frequently discussed that there have been credible news reports that the nature of the Gen 1 fix is a replacement catalytic converter and changes to the fuel injection strategy, which would not require "hacking up" your car.
More than "credible news reports", it's in the court documents--or at least that proposal is. What is (or was) ultimately submitted to the EPA is another question, but there's a good bit of detail in the court documents that have been public for nine months.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Keep in mind that the Gen1 2.0 liter TDIs do not have to be brought into compliance with the standards they were originally certified to meet.
That's true of all of the 2-liter TDIs, not just the Gen1 models. The fix for the Gen3 cars doesn't bring them into full compliance either.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Obviously, what you do with your car is your business. But you seem to have made a decision based on little knowledge or homework.

First of all, it has been discussed to death on this forum that a compromise was reached with the judge (Breyer) to allow the Gen 1 cars to meet a relaxed standard, since most of the states are accepting environmental damage mitigation payments from VW and meeting the original standard without a urea injection system, which cannot be retrofitted, is impossible.

And if you don't drive the car more than the annual mileage allowance, there's no cost to waiting a year or so to see if there's an acceptable fix, other than the small risk that you total it, in which case you would still get the restitution payment, plus the insurance co. valuation, probably somewhat less than the buyout price.
So?...Mark

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Ignore the EPA's deadline, and watch the date's when VW "expected to submit" their proposed fixes for each generation.

Start with the stage 1 of the Gen 3 fix.

VW's expected submittal of the stage 1 gen 3 fix was July 29, 2016.

When did we receive official notice of the fix? January 6, 2017. Exactly 23 weeks later.

Know when VW "expected" to submit their fix proposal for gen 1 cars? November 11, 2016.

If the approval process keeps up the same 23 week pattern, that puts the fix announcement at April 14, 2017.

So, just hold on a couple more weeks. If April 14 comes and goes without an announcement, then it's time to get antsy.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Just have to wait sometimes.

even the middle or end of April is not any magic time.

don't they have until the middle of next year? what did the fine print say when we signed up?

I figure as long as they are working on it, that is better news for us.

that EGR filter described as part of the gen 1 fix is, in my guess, updated to do a better job detecting faulty DPF filters. My further guess is that part of what is going on is bargaining on how tight the DPF crack detector is, and how long VW is on the hook for warranty repairs after the fix.

but yes, in the mean time, if it is too hard to wait, go ahead and sell it back.

but if not, enjoy the drive.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
.....And if you don't drive the car more than the annual mileage allowance, there's no cost to waiting a year or so to see if there's an acceptable fix, other than the small risk that you total it, in which case you would still get the restitution payment, plus the insurance co. valuation, probably somewhat less than the buyout price.
But if your DPF blows up after 80k, then a $3k repair bill is out of your pocket. We're on our second and it's dying

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
That's what I'm doing with the JSW. Next summer will be the time to determine if we get the fix or sell it back. The restitution amount is already capped at $5100, so the buyback number won't change enough to make a difference over the next 15 months.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Apologies for the dumb question, but I've been away from the forums for a while - when you guys refer to "gen 1", what does this mean? My '12 Passat has a CKRA engine (with urea treatment) - which gen is it?

Can someone point me to a "101" on the emissions deals? I was planning to turn my car in for buyback but have recently taken a job ~50 miles away from home, so I'm thinking I'll keep the car and have it "fixed". Nothing else out there can return the combination of MPG's, cost, and size that the NMS can.

Thanks in advance!

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
Apologies for the dumb question, but I've been away from the forums for a while - when you guys refer to "gen 1", what does this mean? My '12 Passat has a CKRA engine (with urea treatment) - which gen is it?

Can someone point me to a "101" on the emissions deals? I was planning to turn my car in for buyback but have recently taken a job ~50 miles away from home, so I'm thinking I'll keep the car and have it "fixed". Nothing else out there can return the combination of MPG's, cost, and size that the NMS can.

Thanks in advance!
Your Passat with urea injection is generation 2.