License Plate Screws

Just Drifting

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Anyone happen to know how many license plate screws ship for the back license plate?

Do they even ship with the car or is this something the dealer supplies?

I currently have two on the back, but am looking for another two; so before calling the dealership, I thought I'd ask you guys.

Thanks.

Edit: This is for a Jetta, btw...

[ November 07, 2002, 08:28: Message edited by: Just Drifting ]

master cylinder

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Cool White
The salesman put my plate on when it came in. He only used two black screws at the top. I didn't think much of it until I closed my trunk. Everytime I do so now, the plates rattles. I went to the Dealer and asked the parts guy I need two rear plate screws. When he pulled it up on the computer, it showed a qty. of (4). So I have to assume that it should have come with four and it didn't. He still charged me 50 cents a pc. for them, so I just paid the buck and left.

jmur

Veteran Member
You can go to a good hardware store, match the screws up with some nice stainless equivalents and replace all of them.

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
M6x1x10 mm (thread diameter x thread pitch x length)long phillips pan heads work well, 300 series stainless is what I've got but plated steel would be more readily available. Be SURE to use NevrSeez or grease so you won't need to wrestle with rusted nutserts later. Most hardware stores will have them. I've got matching #10 x 3/4" phillips pan head SS sheet metal screws on the front.

If you can't find metric SS locally, www.mcmaster.com has them.

[ November 07, 2002, 16:00: Message edited by: Bob the rocket scientist ]

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
I'm with jmur on this one. Stainless is the way to go. My 03 Golf only came with two, also. As soon as my plates come in, I'm going to find some stainless ones.

I bought an RV last spring and ended up buying two boxes (100 ct each) of stainless screws to replace all the screws on the exterior. Trim, light bezels, hatches, etc... I can't believe they used all the "rusty" steel screws on an RV with pretty aluminum walls.

jmur

Veteran Member
If you change all of the screws, consider allen button heads because that will make it a little more difficult for someone to snitch your plate.

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
It's up to the dealership how many you get. My Passat came with two, my Golf came with four.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
I got all 8 screws. There was 4 in front and 4 in back. They put that dealer logo and name on every car. When the plates came, they put it on for me.

San-Man

Newark, Delaware to NYC & back every day...
TDI
'03 Jetta GL
My '03 Jetta GL came with 4 & 4, but I've noticed that even bottomed out, the black screws in the rear still don't hold the plate tight and it rattles...Not that I can hear it, and there's no way it's gonna come off either, but it's not snug to the body...

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Speaking of these screws... and getting screwed...

It seems that VW does not pre-drill the rear bumper for license plates. The dealer had obviously used self-tapping screws on my car. The license plate was about 1 inch off center and was not even hung straight. One screw hole was about 1/2 inch higher than the other. Not to mention that there was a thirs hole they made that was even further off center!

I ended up replacing the screws with stainless ones once my real tags came in. I had to center the tag up and drill my own holes. Fortunately all of the previous holes are hidden by the tag. Otherwise I'd be back to the dealer for another bumper cover!

Anyone had a similar experience? I can just hear you all running out the door with your plumb bobs and tape measures!

I live in Maryland where we have tags on the front, too. Fortunately, the front tag holder is nicely pre-drilled. Why can't they do that on the back? It's not like there's room for the Euro license plates on the US Golf.

PS: My car only has two screws in the rear plate. I drilled it for four. If you do the same, keep in mind that the bottom two screws must be very short or they hit metal behind the bumper cover.

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
Um... mines on the trunk, nutserts from the factory.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bob...

I guess they treat you Jetta owners with more respect! My '03 Golf and my brother's '03 Golf both had (poorly) dealer-drilled holes. Like I said, I've re-drilled so that my tag is centered, but I'd like to put some spacers in there to hold the tag off the paint a bit.

TimButterfield

TDI
Jetta, 2002, silver
San-Man,

I had the same problem with mine, top screws in rear weren't tight. I solved it with rubber hose washers. I hung a washer on the screw between the plate and body. When the screw is tightened, the plate was snug and the washer wasn't visible. I think a pack of washers was 79 cents.

Now I just have to replace the rusty steel screws with stainless.

--
Tim Butterfield
http://www.timbutterfield.com/

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
McBrew, I can't imagine not having a tag mount from the factory (on the rear). The prep guy (least experienced) gets to layout and cheese hole your new car.
Thanks, VW.