What did you do to your MKIV today?

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Replaced a blown front woofer in my '99.5 non-Monsoon Golf. The original was 1J0-035-411D and does not seem to be available anymore. The replacement (bought off eBay attached to a Jetta rear window regulator) is a 1J0-035-411G and is supposed to be the proper woofer for non-Monsoon systems. Interestingly, the original had an inductor/capacitor crossover circuit soldered into the speaker. The replacement has nothing. Sounds fine though.

Kind of a pain that VW used rivets to attach the door speakers. Wasn't sure what the replacement size is. Ended up buying 1/4" (6mm) grip range, 3/16" (5mm) diameter rivets at home depot and they fit perfectly. Shorter ones probably would have also worked.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
While the door panel was off for the woofer replacement, replaced the Golf's driver's side rear view mirror motor with a memory mirror motor. Had to remove all pins from the connector, snake the wires through the mirror assembly and then do the reverse with the memory mirror motor. Since putting in memory seats several years ago, I've acquired memory mirrors and wiring, so hopefully I can complete that project in the next few months.

While the mirror was apart, replaced the aftermarket blind spot mirror glass with a genuine VW replacement (1J1857521C) because the heating element had stopped working. Hopefully the VW part will last longer.

Swapped the hatch release connector with the fuel lid release connector (I accidentally swapped them the last time I had the door panel off). Now I must unlearn pressing the opposite button to pop the hatch or fuel lid.

One advantage of being a procrastinator is that you can do a whole bunch of repairs at the same time while you're "in there".

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Swapped the hatch release connector with the fuel lid release connector (I accidentally swapped them the last time I had the door panel off). Now I must unlearn pressing the opposite button to pop the hatch or fuel lid.
Lol, I thought I was the only person who'd done that. Even more confusing for me because my Golf is backwards and my wagon is not. I have to think about which car I'm in before I pull a switch.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
My '01 wagon has the fuel door release in the center console next to the parking brake lever. Though when I upgraded to the cupholder version of the center console, I had to cut a hole for the fuel door release switch, so they must have moved things around after '01.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's odd. My '02 (and both my sons') have the fuel door release on the door, next to the hatch/trunk release, just like my '99.5.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Successfully repaired the thermistor connections on my transplant candidate for my heated seats, driver's side. Need to find a suitable material for covering everything back up (cheescloth material had to be all cut up to get access to the wires).

Showed the son how to do a top-side oil change (in his Golf). Was rewarded by having the blue Golf and the wife's Golf washed :D

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
Repaired my trunk wiring harness inside the rubber loom. My rear trunk actuator stopped working on me and I was tired of going through the back seat.

Electrodynamic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta/Bora TDI
I painted my calipers black this weekend. They were "blue" (flaking off paint, ugly, etc) from the previous owner) and I couldn't stand the sight of the flaking off, chipped, blue / grey paint any longer so I grabbed the caliper paint I purchased for a previous car of mine and got to work.

If anyone has not painted their calipers note that the proper process takes a decently long time. You should properly sand, scrape with a metal brush, clean, etc, the caliper to make sure it is free of any grease, oil, or prior paint before painting the calipers.

Anyway, here are before and after pics:

Before:

After:

When we were done with the prep on the first caliper and started painting:

And when we were finished:

Last edited:

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
Today, I replaced the EGR valve in the Jetta. It was setting code P0402. There was vacuum at the EGR vacuum port when the engine was running, but the EGR valve didn't move at all. Also, the EGR valve was leaking engine oil all over the place. How does an EGR valve leak oil? Is it oil vapor in the intake tract seeping out through the diaphragm?

When I removed the old EGR, I found an "easter egg" on the ASV actuator. It looks like the vacuum nipple broke off at some point in the past. So some enterprising mechanic epoxied in a small piece of metal pipe to replace it. See photo below:

Also, here's a shot of the two EGR valves:

After installing the new one, the trouble code went away. I also verified EGR function with the engine running. So the Jetta and I are both happy again. :)

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
First I slightly shortened my actuator rod on my turbo, then test drove her, then shortened the rod again and ended up making it too short--instant overboost. I am now waiting for the turbo to get cool enough for me to slightly lengthen the actuator rod again. Sh!t.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
First I slightly shortened my actuator rod on my turbo, then test drove her, then shortened the rod again and ended up making it too short--instant overboost. I am now waiting for the turbo to get cool enough for me to slightly lengthen the actuator rod again. Sh!t.
I think that my wife's car's VNT15's rod is about as close as one can get to being short enough to cause an overboost. The car's boost really jumps but in over 50k miles now it's never limped out. I keep waiting... (I'd say that it's because she drives it, but I drive it from time to time and I am always aiming to blow things out really well:D).

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Repaired my trunk wiring harness inside the rubber loom. My rear trunk actuator stopped working on me and I was tired of going through the back seat.
I can't even believe you dealt with at all in the first place!

I thought I was terrible for putting up with my 09 wagon back door. That micro switch went bad, every 100x it would work once.

So I had to trip the door release, then quickly run back and catch it before a relock, that is after recoding the driver door to accept the fact it had a release switch! And only did that because my keyless clicker died....

After busting my ass on the ice one day I decided to fix it.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

benson4349

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (ALH, MT)
A couple days ago I used some CLP (firearm cleaner/degreaser/lubricant) and a .22LR bore brush to clean up my glow plug harness contacts. Slightly compressed the contacts with some pliers (didn't want to squeeze too hard for fear of breaking the harness case). All this in an effort to eliminate a couple of persistent GP codes. Applied a little dielectric grease, reinstalled, and cleared the codes. Only driven about 50 miles since but codes are still gone.

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Desert Jetta & 2015 Passat SEL
Installed a new 94R battery in the Desert Jetta. Farm & Fleet sale for 100 bucks out the door. 7 year warranty with free replacement in the first 3.

Last edited:

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Installed a new 94R battery in the Desert Jetta. Farm & Fleet sale for 100 bucks out the door. 7 year warranty with free replacement in the first 3.
Did you have to modify the battery tray?

I had this tray when I went to install a 94R battery, and had issues

Swapped to this version and everything was good

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Do you want it for phone calls or for music?
Both actually. I got used to having a fully integrated system in the Passat and my Nissan Frontier with Nissan Connect. The Jetta is antiquated in this area...

But I did just install a touch screen / app driven Kenwood system for a friend and didn't realize that there were interfaces to preserve the steering wheel controls. That's the main reason I never upgraded before.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I have a Pioneer 4000NEX in my Mazda 6 (which I installed) and that will also fit in the '03-style Jettas -- you need a different PAC interface for the SWCs, but they're available.

It does bluetooth for audio and calls, and even better it will accept a SSD on the USB port (!) which you can hide up under the dash somewhere. Oh, and it's pretty-much the only series of units on the market that do FLAC.

I love the thing.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Removed the Jetta letters on the back of my little "slingshot" wagon and added "red" TDI" letters. Waiting for my "red" devil ears and tail to accent my VW emblem.
What did you use to remove them? Fishing line?

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Desert Jetta & 2015 Passat SEL
Mine looks like the first picture. I had zero issues.

Did you have to modify the battery tray?

I had this tray when I went to install a 94R battery, and had issues

Swapped to this version and everything was good

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Oil change today with TDT (20K miles on the OC interval; 150K miles total on the BEW). Collected an oil sample and sent to Blackstone. Changed out the Amsoil bypass filter (40K miles), the stock oil filter, and installed a Fumoto valve on the oil pan.

I swear that TDT produces a quieter engine than does Rotella T6...

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Mine looks like the first picture. I had zero issues.
Glad to hear. I can't recall specifically, but I may have just "eyeball/guesstimated" it would interfere and went with the other style??

Good to know for when I upgrade the other MK4 to the same battery.

Thanks

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Thought I had a boost leak, but turned out it was an exhaust leak, fixed by tightening a nut on the turbo 1/8th of a turn. Also installed a darkside developments SMIC and love it. Already noticed a small power increase.

Also need to install (tonight or tomorrow) a replacement angle sensor/clockspring on my mother's wagon.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Thought I had a boost leak, but turned out it was an exhaust leak, fixed by tightening a nut on the turbo 1/8th of a turn. Also installed a darkside developments SMIC and love it. Already noticed a small power increase.

Also need to install (tonight or tomorrow) a replacement angle sensor/clockspring on my mother's wagon.

Im sure your small power increase was a result of exhaust leak, and not the smic lol

Bajan

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Im sure your small power increase was a result of exhaust leak, and not the smic lol

Bajan
Or rather, probably both. It worked out, as that intercooler goes on my mother's car, as hers is overdue for a replacement, along with the associated piping.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Transferred the title to my '05 Wagon to my mother's name (as it was a project/gift to her). Plans for the day - replace her intercooler and piping, and replace the faulty angle sensor/clockspring.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My "heated seats" hobby progressed a bit further today. Got the heated seat that's slated to go into my car all back together after repairing the thermistor connections, cleaned up and ready for when I have time to retrofit the car-side [Kufatec] wiring harness. Passenger seat needs a good cleaning too, but that'll hold off for a slow day.