Feelers: 2009 JSW, 6MT blue, 204k, 2" lift kit, dieselgeek, etc

steelersvt

TDI
2009 jetta sportwagen
I have a laser blue non-sunroof 2009 jetta TDI wagon, grey fake leather interior, with approx 204k miles on it. I never wanted to sell this car, as I've invested a lot into it, and its taken me all over the country without a single problem. It's currently getting about 36-39 mpg. It's a Vermont registered car, but has been in Texas and Florida since 2015.

Long story short, I currently live in Austin, TX, (78727) and just drove here a few days ago, and noticed the clutch pedal started sticking to the floor. Kenny Hill autowerks just looked at it two days ago, and they quoted me approx 1800 for a new clutch. (Its the original clutch in the car). No bueno for my budget.

It also needs a timing belt very soon, and next up on my list for the car was a complete brake overhaul. (One of the rear calipers sticks, but I just felt like it is time to replace all of them). Additionally, there is noise from the front left axle, I believe it will need an axle boot, a new axle, or a wheel bearing. I just cannot stomach the idea of paying $125/hour for labor for jobs like these.

I am meeting a mechanic soon who may be able to do this on the side, and more importantly, one who's labor rates mirror the average rate of shops in the 90's perhaps. If he surmises that he is unable to do the T belt and clutch, I may be forced to sell the car, hence the reason for this post. I am curious if anyone would be interested, and we could discuss a fair price, as I have no idea of the actual value. Kbb laughably shows $709-1500. I would consider a price at 4500 to be a fair deal for this car with all of the extras. If this person can fix all of the current issues with my help, I'd gladly spend the money on parts and drive this until my eldest is ready for college.

The good:

• 6MT, no hole in roof
  • I'm the second owner, and first owner was an accountant who drove all over new england. I bought it with full records, of all work ever done to it. It an an exceptionally well maintained car, and has never had any major issues. Completely documented life.
  • Recently installed 4 new tires in spring of 2019 + did alignment
  • 2" lift kit from IDparts: Koni+SUPLEX complete suspension set A5 ($687.13 kit) Koni STR.T, new mounts, bolts, etc. It's really pretty awesome, best thing I did to the car. (installed summer of 2018)
  • dieselgeek p2015 fix (installed Summer of 2015)
  • dieselgeek short shifter kit (installed Summer of 2015)
  • minor fender rust in two places, otherwise mostly rust free.
  • updated radio from a newer VW- I think its the rds 510 (dvd, Nav, rear view camera, etc) however, it needs coding to sound right. I have a PC laptop that would need wiping and a windows reinstall, and a brand new VCDS from ross tech, used once to try and change the stereo codes, but wasn't able to identify which option to actually use with the existing car's amp/stereo type. I'm hard of hearing as well, so that didn't help matter too much. :)
  • Recent window tinting done in FL- all windows except the front got the same tint, I believe its a 'standard Florida" 25%, can't really recall. But absolutely looks great and really helps with night time driving, it cuts out the glare from other lights big time.
  • The recall work was done in a Florida VW Dealership- Lokey VW of New Port Ritchie.
  • Roof bars, and a Thule cargo carrier, that still is functional. (i use a matching black small racheting strap for opening-during-highway-and-not-knowing-it insurance.
  • There's lots more, but all of the above is just a quick brain dump as I figure out my options.
Comes with the car, but uninstalled:

• skidplate
  • solid state shifter bushings
  • factory default radio
  • various extra filters (cabin mostly)
  • drivers side headlight (the one on it has a small crack, but otherwise works fine)
  • some odds and ends
The bad:

• Seems to need a clutch (its on the original clutch but the car was driven by just 2 people who knew how to drive TDI's hence the long life. Its still driveable now)
  • seems to need either a wheel bearing or axle, not sure which yet.
  • rear brakes are bad, needs calipers, rotors, pads. front brakes are still good, but I would replace all at the same time.
  • was in one accident, where I was waiting to make a left turn into a park and ride, actually not too long after I bought it. (accident was Jan 2016, at approx 130k miles) Was hit from the rear, in the car's right side of the bumper. Professionally repaired, and have had zero issues with it.
  • minor annoyance: when locking the car, some doors don't lock- I use the manual lock to lock those.
  • 204k miles- there's some scratches/dings. Worst ding is in passenger door, it seemed to have come from a shopping cart.

https://i.postimg.cc/Z5TJMLKL/Screen-Shot-2019-08-18-at-1-16-12-PM.png

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Nice looking and rare 2009 JSW and has potential! GLWS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steelersvt

TDI
2009 jetta sportwagen
Feelers: 2009 JSW, 6MT blue, 204k, 2" lift kit, dieselgeek, etc

Neglected to mention: it just had two brand new radiator fans ($1,600 job). Installed less than 3 weeks ago.

Also, the recall means theres a transferable warranty on all the emissions related stuff, I just had a glowplug replaced for free under that.

Last edited:

steelersvt

TDI
2009 jetta sportwagen
Just decided its not worth it for me to spend all that money for this car- will let it go for the best offer. This would be a steal for anyone that can fix it themselves- or wants the parts.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Neglected to mention: it just had two brand new radiator fans ($1,600 job). Installed less than 3 weeks ago.

Also, the recall means theres a transferable warranty on all the emissions related stuff, I just had a glowplug replaced for free under that.

$1,600 for the radiator fans.... that is crazy. Good luck with the sale.