Kerma/malone stage 2 tune, which would better fit a daily driver?

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
Hi Dave,

That sounds great,

Is your VNT15 one of the older ones, or is it a new replacement one?

Is there any reason the boost is set at 17 psi? - i.e. the recommended old limit was 18 psi, and 20 psi on newer ones.

What pressure are the R520s calibrated to?

Thanks

oem on car vnt15, dunno about specs, you'd have to ask DBW

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
Diesel-dave: what ft/lbs torque are you getting now with the R520s & VNT15? Have you had it dyno'd?
no real dyno yet, hard to get on one where I'm at. No rush, as no matter what is posted, it'll be tore to shreds anyways.:rolleyes:
All i know is i have tried a bunch, and I can say this is very very torquey. Hard to believe I have a stock turbo. About the psi? well its kept a tad under max i guess.

But I'm liking the less PSI more power thing.

HRC-E.B.

TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 6MT
Just had my 2012 Golf tuned with Malone Stage 2 and Rawtek DPF delete. Picked up the car today. The ONE thing that stands out is how smooth the car is to drive. So much so that the increased power is not as "in your face" noticeable as the numbers would suggest.

The stock TDi is basically very flat and lifeless until the torque hits somewhere around 2200 rpms, making it seem stronger than it really is.

The tune car pull harder than stock for longer in the RPM band, by a considerable margin, but you don't feel as much of a sudden "shove", because the car starts making power lower down the rev counter and more progressively up to its peak, compared to stock.

So both stronger than stock and a lot smoother is what really jumps at me. Very driveable, with no hiccups, no power spikes, nothing but a creamy, strong pull 1300-4000 RPM. The car should come this way stock!

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
...So both stronger than stock and a lot smoother is what really jumps at me. Very driveable, with no hiccups, no power spikes, nothing but a creamy, strong pull 1300-4000 RPM. The car should come this way stock!
That is what I hear more than anything else after we do a tune

HRC-E.B.

TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 6MT
Discovering more of the nice features of this Malone Stage 2 DPF-delete tune:

At crawling speeds, stock car is undriveable in first gear (can't drive at constant speed in 1st, too jerky, car trying to accelerate or brake), and you can't lug it so much in 2nd, making parking lot maneuvering an exercise in clutch slipping, unless you have room to go fast.

With the tune, no such problem. You can hold constant low speed in first OR 2nd gear, and the car just obeys, no bogging, no surging, it's perfect.

Throttle response is so much more linear! Much less turbo lag. Feels like a larger displacement motor. Much more civilized, polished.

And then there's that power. Just a light tip of the accelerator makes the car progress forward quickly. Torque is immediate.

Is it really a case of the emissions stuff preventing the factory from fine-tuning the car this way??? The difference is night and day!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
the pedal map in the ecu, depending on rpm, and %pedal it will request a certain mg/str value.

BlankThis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
I have only have ever driven Malone tuned cars. But I will say Mark is amazing in terms of communication and answering my moronic questions at 10PM.

rimad

TDI
Passat TDI, Mercedes E 320 CDI
the pedal map in the ecu, depending on rpm, and %pedal it will request a certain mg/str value.
Drivers wish? It's unmodded in most tunes. In those that dw are modified..only max torque numbers are modified so basically your "pedal mappings" are stock.

The easy way to see what has been done is to log injection quantity vs rpm. If it shows stock values then ecu has been cheated somehow. Otherwise you can pretty much calculate how much power you have.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

clamb

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon; 2010 Golf Wagon
Charlie has supplied me with two great tunes (for my previous alh 139 hp / 263 ft/lbs with .216 nozzles and a muffler removed). I haven't dynoed my bew but it feels great with minimal overboost (in the power band there is none - 2000-3500 rpm).