NorCal/SF/Bay Area GTG November 22

Date: November 22nd, 2008

TST will be offering CASH ONLY specials on:

Clutch replacements/Install - $350

Suspension/Alignment - $300

Brake Jobs - $120 for rotors and pads

Brake Fluid change - $40.00

Oil Drain only - $15.00

Oil Change without Filter - $50.00 (Motul Synthetic VW Spec used)

Manual Tranny Fluid change - $40.00

There will also be a DYI GTG for those people wanting to work on their own cars. BBQ will be fired up at 11:30am to start grilling at 12:00 noon if there are enough attendees.

I WANT TO HAVE WORK PERFORMED BY TST. I WILL PAYPAL A $25 NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT IN ORDER TO RESERVE MY SPOT. PLEASE PAYPAL DEPOSIT TO TIM@TOMASSPORTTUNING.COM

Name/handle - Work to be performed

I WILL ATTENDED THE DYI GTG AND WILL BE WORKING ON MY OWN CAR AND OR JUST PLAN ON HANGING OUT!

Last edited:

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
I'm interested in a clutch install but I would like to watch and learn, possible help (tool gopher?). Would that be possible?

I've done a few clutch installs on Chevys and Fords but I'm not confident enough on a VW... hell ANY FWD car.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Got Bearings? said:
I'm interested in a clutch install but I would like to watch and learn, possible help (tool gopher?). Would that be possible?

I've done a few clutch installs on Chevys and Fords but I'm not confident enough on a VW... hell ANY FWD car.
The work is being done by the shop and they usually let you watch but that's about it! Depending on how much work is lined-up they might have more time to explain in get into detail on the how-to!

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver

There will also be a DYI GTG for those people wanting to work on their own cars. BBQ will be fired up at 11:30am to start grilling at 12:00 noon if there are enough attendees.

I WANT TO HAVE WORK PERFORMED BY TST. I WILL PAYPAL A $25 NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT IN ORDER TO RESERVE MY SPOT. PLEASE PAYPAL DEPOSIT TO TIM@TOMASSPORTTUNING.COM

Sharon Marrero - Brakes/rotors 2001 Jetta 9:00am slot

I WILL ATTENDED THE DYI GTG AND WILL BE WORKING ON MY OWN CAR AND OR JUST PLAN ON HANGING OUT!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Did you know that there is another big GTG not too far from you just one week prior?

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
whitedog said:
Did you know that there is another big GTG not too far from you just one week prior?
I know there is one 2 weeks prior in Sacto hosted by AutoWag2 where they are doing TB! Is there another one as well?

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
Is there a price estimate on the labor if we bring the clutch parts?
I need a new clutch, and am upgrading to a VR6 G60, what's their labor charges?

Also, does anyone attending have a Motive Brake Bleeder? If so, then i'm in for DIY brakes.

Zippy needs a lot of love, it would be great to get some of it out of the way.
Thanks for putting this together, Andrew. :D

oh, and I'll bring...Chips and Salsa! :D

LiquidBlackDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Tst Gtg

2. Jason/LiquidBlackDZL - Clutch Install MK4

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Zippy Car...
Looks like it's $350 for the labor if we supply the clutch and various parts.
NewTdi said:

Last edited:

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Zippy_car said:
Is there a price estimate on the labor if we bring the clutch parts?
I need a new clutch, and am upgrading to a VR6 G60, what's their labor charges?

Also, does anyone attending have a Motive Brake Bleeder? If so, then i'm in for DIY brakes.

Zippy needs a lot of love, it would be great to get some of it out of the way.
Thanks for putting this together, Andrew. :D

oh, and I'll bring...Chips and Salsa! :D
Hello Zippy! As somenone pointed out $350 is labor for the clutch install!
Do you need love or your car? And you chips and Salsa are always welcome! :D

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
NewTdi said:
Hello Zippy! As somenone pointed out $350 is labor for the clutch install!
Do you need love or your car? And you chips and Salsa are always welcome! :D
I see that now. Guess I read the original post wrong, sorry. :eek:
Andrew... how clairvoyant of you, the car is what I was refering to, but I need some love too. :) :p :rolleyes:

majicbeetle

TDI
'05 New Beetle

1. majicbeetle - hanging out, w/ wrenches and two good hands

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver

Jason/LiquidBlackDZL - Clutch Install MK4

Any other takers?

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I am in for brake fluid change....if someone has a Motive Brake bleeder...

I may also need to have a some other work done, or learn how to do some other maintenance , like intercooler cleaning .

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
I'm possible but as mentioned, I like the idea of DIY. However depending on when I get my shoulder worked on, it will be months before I can attempt this.

Zippy - I have a Motive as well as most other tool known to VWkind (well, TDI anyway).

On the clutch, I urge you to research. Peter (at TDIParts) is selling clutches made by South Bend which hold as well as the VR6/G60 combo without any of the negatives. That's most likely what I will go with, just debating if a larger turbo is on the horizon or not. I can never make up my mind whether to sell the car or not :)

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
danix said:
I'm possible but as mentioned, I like the idea of DIY. However depending on when I get my shoulder worked on, it will be months before I can attempt this.

Zippy - I have a Motive as well as most other tool known to VWkind (well, TDI anyway).

On the clutch, I urge you to research. Peter (at TDIParts) is selling clutches made by South Bend which hold as well as the VR6/G60 combo without any of the negatives. That's most likely what I will go with, just debating if a larger turbo is on the horizon or not. I can never make up my mind whether to sell the car or not :)
Dan - I was just on his website and saw the South Bends. looked into them a little bit, but need to do a lot more reading. Just haven't had the chance. Been talking with chris hill too asking some questions. Just not enough good hours in a day, sometimes! :eek: Thanks for the head's up tho. I'll continue to look into it.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
1. Sharon Marrero - Brakes/rotors 2001 Jetta 9:00am slot
Jason/LiquidBlackDZL - Clutch Install MK4
3. Pierre / Tothemax - Clutch Install MK4 11:30 AM slot

Any other takers?

LiquidBlackDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
I'm unaware of what the time slot intervals are. How fast can they knock these things out anyway? How many lifts will be in operation? I call the 10am slot, or whatever the second time slot is...

1. Sharon Marrero - Brakes/rotors 2001 Jetta 9:00am slot
2. Jason/LiquidBlackDZL - Clutch Install MK4 (after Sharon)
3. Pierre / Tothemax - Clutch Install MK4 11:30 AM slot

Any other takers?

unjester

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
I could be in for having them put in a tdiparts 2.5" down-pipe. Now that I've driven Pierre's car I've got the bug.

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
Zippy, for what it's worth I love my VR6 clutch. I got mine from BleachedBora about two years ago. With over fifty thousand miles on it I'm happy to say it's holding up well despite my aggressive driving style. I have absolutely no complaints.

I'd love to join you guys but I've got my children on that weekend. Perhaps we can plan the next weekend on a second or fourth weekend....hint hint....

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I am courious to know, when TST does an install for a new clutch with a new flywheel in a car, do they stamp the flywheel for a timing mark? I understand some of the new flywheel do no have any timing marks.

Last edited:

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Sign me up for an alignment job on my 2003 Golf! But I don't do [highlight]PayPal[/highlight], so I'll see what they need by means of deposit if that's what it takes to hold a spot. I have Vag-Com, and happy to bring the laptop and spare battery.

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
NFSTDI said:
Zippy, for what it's worth I love my VR6 clutch. I got mine from BleachedBora about two years ago. With over fifty thousand miles on it I'm happy to say it's holding up well despite my aggressive driving style. I have absolutely no complaints.

I'd love to join you guys but I've got my children on that weekend. Perhaps we can plan the next weekend on a second or fourth weekend....hint hint....
thanks for the input. I think I'm gonna go with the South Bend clutch set up though with a stock weight SMF and cross my fingers for not too much clatter. We'll have to see how it goes. Still gonna be another week before I can comit to being put on the list tho, for the replacement. :eek:

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
1. Sharon Marrero - Brakes/rotors 2001 Jetta - 9:00am
2. Jason/LiquidBlackDZL - Clutch Install MK4 - 9:00 am
3. Pierre / Tothemax - Clutch Install MK4 - 10:00 AM
4. Tom / B100 - Alignment MK IV - 10:45am

I would like to get my windshield replaced - 99-2004 Jettas and Golfs for $195.00 if we get at least 5 cars. If less than 5 we should be looking at $245. This is OEM glass with lifetime warranty on install.

1. Andrew/NewTdi - 2003 Jetta

2. NewTdi - Pierre will you help me with the skid=plate install?

Last edited:

BioChoppers

Vendor
TDI
2003 jetta 5spd wagon
Zippy_car said:
thanks for the input. I think I'm gonna go with the South Bend clutch set up though with a stock weight SMF and cross my fingers for not too much clatter
You should check these new DC clutches out:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=228609

They use the same disk linings as South Bend with better pressure plates & FW & less chatter.

I might be able to make it to this GTG and bring some kits with me to save anyone shipping if they're interested. They will be for the same price that BB is offering them in the group buy as well:)

F.Y.I. I have seen some bending/breaking clutch forks lately even with the factory clutch:

The fork really should be changed every time a clutch is replaced.

Now all of the DC clutch kits come with a new OEM clutch fork with no change in price!

They will also be offered with a boxed & welded reinforced clutch fork upgrade option...

Last edited: