220,000 miles on a Sportwagen. Should I buy?

TDI
2013 Sportwagen, 2012 Golf
Thinking of adding a 3rd TDI to my garage, a 2011 Sportwagen with panoramic roof and nav. There's one I'm considering that has 220,000 on it. I'd only get it if the service records are good. I'm thinking with that many miles, they'd have to be. So should I or shouldn't I?

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
that many miles in that short of a time should only be bad for tires and windshields. If the price is cheap enough it could be a good buy. I would want to plug it into vcds and check the soot levels.

brian_e

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Silver Jetta
^agree. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if the price was right knowing that suspension parts (shocks/struts, bushings and all these little associated bits) will likely need a little love.

Good opportunity to buy a another car that you could love.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
How much $$$$ are we talking? And yeah...no service records = pass. The only way I'd buy a car like that is if it were up to date on its service and they were pretty much giving it away.

stoner-tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta sportwagen
A lot of miles in a short time means one thing... Tons of freeway driving. And to me that is a great thing .. Generally the suspension parts will need love, but the other parts should be in great shape. With that many mile the car in general will show whether It was loved or not.

A lot of miles scare some people away , but it shouldn't unless you are looking for a new car

TDI
It's $6,500, but I think I could get it cheaper. There's another that's closer by with 190,000 and is $7,000. That one I know has been 100% dealer serviced. Only thing is that it doesn't have the nav. 

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
It's $6,500, but I think I could get it cheaper. There's another that's closer by with 190,000 and is $7,000. That one I know has been 100% dealer serviced. Only thing is that it doesn't have the nav. 
Take it from someone with the built in navigation. It sucks. For one thing updates aren't free. Many aftermarket GPS navigation units have free updates. That said if you have a smart phone, you have the best GPS you can get. Updates via Google maps are real time. You also get traffic updates.

TDI
Take it from someone with the built in navigation. It sucks. For one thing updates aren't free. Many aftermarket GPS navigation units have free updates. That said if you have a smart phone, you have the best GPS you can get. Updates via Google maps are real time. You also get traffic updates.
Our 2013 Sportwagen and 2012 Golf have the nav. I like the display. I don't like the fact that it always chooses the worst way to go.

89s rule

TDI
'05 Passat GL Wagon
I've been considering getting one to replace my 03 wagon (400K miles). Found a few 2014's in the 130-160K range for $7500-8500.

stoner-tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta sportwagen
built in NAV so far on any car I been in have been SUCKS!! my wife's 2010 Commander has road maps from 2010... Houston is not the same so there are a ton of places that are not on the map along with roads..to update the maps it cost like $150 from Jeep... I don't know what VW's cost

a smartphone with a charger cord it 250% better than factory nav..

$500 on these two cars is not a make or brake deal mileage is not too much different to worry about.. get whichever one runs, drives and looks better. don't get one over the other for the NAV.. you will be sad

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
On the other hand there are lower mile cars for not much money?

Good toi know it made it that far.. I only have 84K on mine (30K on engine, long story).

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
If they have DSG, the 220K is closer to a DSG service and it's also closer to a timing belt, so it's not actually "cheaper" than the 190K over the next couple years (not even now if you consider those two services are well over the $500 dollar difference but you'll get an extra 30K out of the 190K before it catches up).

TDI
Very sad. Saw a 2013 Sportwagen with sunroof and nav with 79,000 that was just reduced from $13,500 to $10,950. Got to the dealer this morning right as someone else was buying it.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
Why would anyone be selling at this poin with the announcement upcoming shortly.Very well any purchases right now might not get you a settlement.