Why bother to accept a buy back?

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
When I bought my 2nd JSW (the one I own), I did it because I realized that the Passat wagon will never be sold here, and the Passat sedan was great, but not for me. I intend to keep my JSW. :D

A few days ago...I did the "all windows down with remote" modification using VCDS, just in time for the heat of Summer sun! So cool! I guided my son through the process. He was impressed.

1. With over 30k miles, the engine is broken in, highway mileage is fantastic, and I get about 40mpg commuting with some agressive driving, and sport driving. Hard to complain. I have at least 200k miles ahead of me in this car. I'll fix it if the turbo fails, or fuel pump fails. So what. I knew all of that before "DG".

2. Polluting? The car beats stringent 2005-6 regulations easily. And with such decent fuel economy, the NOx emissions are relatively better compared to the larger engines that spew less in ppm, but more because they consume so much more fuel and spew more exhaust!!! Besides, I intend to do a DPF delete and get a Malone tune in a couple of years. More power, better fuel economy! I will still feel like it is a relatively low emissions vehicle, if based only on the fact that is gets 50% to 200% farther on a gallon of fuel than most of the other beasts out there on the road. I can hardly use the "green" argument for accepting a buy back. It is in fact a very green car.

3. ANY change in car ownership at this point, even if I take a buy back, will cost me more money. And the fact is, there is no car out there that works better for my purposes (my wife agrees!). And I certainly will not take the buyout just to spite VW. I am not that dumb, particularly since a non-TDI would be a downgrade. I can't think of any car that would replace it for me, except another TDI with a manual transmission. But I already own it!

It surprises me to see so many long time Freds TDI club members here chomping at the bit for "resolution". If you are one of those people, is your reasoning actually that you want a greener car? Do you want to punish VAG? Embarassed to be seen in it? Or will you take advantage of the buyout to get a completely different car (gasser) because you just want a different car? Maybe a combination of these reasons?

Some people seem to think the buy back is inevitable! As if they MUST take. They talk about compromises, and still seem to want to do it!

I am not trying to be provocative here, it is just that I've gone through all of this over and over again, and I just realized (AGAIN!) the 2014 JSW 6MT is an awesome car, and I really have no good reason to let it go. I'll take any gifts of contrition from VW (already took the $500 plus $500 towards parts/service), but I won't take a buy back. For what I need, I cannot see anything better out there.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

TDI
2013 DSG jetta premium/nav
all depends on what one owes, if anything.

My car is a 2013 with 65k miles. Owe about $13k so if VW offers excellent retail value as of August of 2015, that would put the offer around $16k.

So a $3k windfall plus another possible $5k i addition to that and all of a sudden i may be sitting with $8k in my hands.

Take that $8k and go buy a ~2010 CNG honda civic cash and never look back.

Thats my plan.

I absolutely love my Jetta but this might make too much financial sense to pass up.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Historically when there were buy backs half of the people took the OEM up
on it. I suspect the TDI owners taking buyback will be less than half, may
be as low as 1/3rd TDI's will give up car, unless it is some gold plated deal.

We don't know anything for another 2 months, and there may be other
options. Regardless I can't see in normal states with out draconian
emission and registration laws, the TDI will be banned for motoring
on until it's retired.

Even if it's KBB adjusted for year/mileage for excellent condition + some
bonus bucks, you can't buy anything as nice, and I have taken great care
of my car which has low miles.

Also these TDI's become grandfathered then they will be rare and valuable
with a cult following. If if I don't sell it back to VW, years later I may do better.
Years later I may do worse? I am in the mind set to keep it. I will make a
decision when I have to. From what I understand buybacks are going to be
years out. There will be a time frame and then the offer will end. As long as
the government does not come knocking on my door to confiscate my TDI,
I am driving it as planned for another 5-10 years.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Hey, do what you want to, but do not lie to yourself that an emission deleted and tuned diesel is "clean".

(hey, again, you can lie to yourself about it, but it it is self-delusional. yes, lower CO2, (until you jack up the fuel use with the tune...) but the soot, hydrocarbons, and NOX will spew out in much greater amounts than comparable legal cars on the road. )

(ok, soap box back in the corner.)

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

It depends on what the EPA says about the fix and what each state chooses to allow. If the buyback deal is sweet, I may jump to a GTI. If the deal is mandatory buyback, I'll definitely jump to a GTI. If our cars are grandfathered and VW gives us $$$, then I may keep my TDI and use that money to make it a little more fun.

I agree that our cars could gain a cult following if they're grandfathered, especially if VW otherwise pulls TDIs out of our market. We'll see.

Scott

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
2. Polluting? The car beats stringent 2005-6 regulations easily. And with such decent fuel economy, the NOx emissions are relatively better compared to the larger engines that spew less in ppm, but more because they consume so much more fuel and spew more exhaust!!! Besides, I intend to do a DPF delete and get a Malone tune in a couple of years. More power, better fuel economy! I will still feel like it is a relatively low emissions vehicle.....
I accepted your arguments that the CRs are cleaner than the 2005-6's.....up until the point where you said you were going strip off the very bits that make them cleaner than those prior TDIs....

The fact that the CRs are high-pressure piezo-injected means that the combustion event can be better controlled than the pump-deuse or mechanical-pump cars. But the CRs are also putting out more power, so for all intents and purposes, your emissions-deleted CR will be virtually as dirty as a PD or ALH motor.

It surprises me to see so many long time Freds TDI club members here chomping at the bit for "resolution".
Color me 'chompin'. See signature. :)

Had it not been for the 'scandal', I would right now be either replacing my DPF or deleting it. (yet not claiming that it was a clean delete) I would also be due for brakes soon. Got a front bumper peeling paint that I'd like to replace, and a speckled windshield that I would have pre-emptively replaced as well. With the scandal, I wasn't keen on doing any maintenance. I'm keen on the buy-back.

I was on the fence in 2010 when I bought the JSW new. Risky HPFP. DPF that would have to be replaced at some point in its life. Was diesel worth it anymore? I took a gamble. Been O.K. so far, not too many issues. Now in addition to those things, there's the DEF-fluid system. And gassers' mileage has gone up thanks to 2 things: 1) Gov't CAFE requirement for increasing fuel economy, and 2) the recession and related high fuel costs that made small-displacement engines more appealing.

I pick up my new GTI tomorrow. As of tomorrow, I can no longer go by the name 'frugality'. :D I'm now driving a wasteful gasser. But with highway-biased driving, I'm hoping for a 30mpg+ average.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Historically when there were buy backs half of the people took the OEM up
on it. I suspect the TDI owners taking buyback will be less than half, may
be as low as 1/3rd TDI's will give up car, unless it is some gold plated deal.

We don't know anything for another 2 months, and there may be other
options. Regardless I can't see in normal states with out draconian
emission and registration laws, the TDI will be banned for motoring
on until it's retired.

Even if it's KBB adjusted for year/mileage for excellent condition + some
bonus bucks, you can't buy anything as nice, and I have taken great care
of my car which has low miles.

Also these TDI's become grandfathered then they will be rare and valuable
with a cult following. If if I don't sell it back to VW, years later I may do better.

Years later I may do worse? I am in the mind set to keep it. I will make a
decision when I have to. From what I understand buybacks are going to be
years out. There will be a time frame and then the offer will end. As long as
the government does not come knocking on my door to confiscate my TDI,
I am driving it as planned for another 5-10 years.
Almost 500,000 models sold, it is unlikely they will be rare and valuable. I expect there will always be a market for used diesel, but not a premium market.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I accepted your arguments that the CRs are cleaner than the 2005-6's.....up until the point where you said you were going strip off the very bits that make them cleaner than those prior TDIs....
The fact that the CRs are high-pressure piezo-injected means that the combustion event can be better controlled than the pump-deuse or mechanical-pump cars. But the CRs are also putting out more power, so for all intents and purposes, your emissions-deleted CR will be virtually as dirty as a PD or ALH motor.
Color me 'chompin'. See signature. :)
Had it not been for the 'scandal', I would right now be either replacing my DPF or deleting it. (yet not claiming that it was a clean delete) I would also be due for brakes soon. Got a front bumper peeling paint that I'd like to replace, and a speckled windshield that I would have pre-emptively replaced as well. With the scandal, I wasn't keen on doing any maintenance. I'm keen on the buy-back.
I was on the fence in 2010 when I bought the JSW new. Risky HPFP. DPF that would have to be replaced at some point in its life. Was diesel worth it anymore? I took a gamble. Been O.K. so far, not too many issues. Now in addition to those things, there's the DEF-fluid system. And gassers' mileage has gone up thanks to 2 things: 1) Gov't CAFE requirement for increasing fuel economy, and 2) the recession and related high fuel costs that made small-displacement engines more appealing.
I pick up my new GTI tomorrow. As of tomorrow, I can no longer go by the name 'frugality'. :D I'm now driving a wasteful gasser. But with highway-biased driving, I'm hoping for a 30mpg+ average.
I bet you'll get over 35 mpg on the highway in the GTI! And 0ver 200 hp in a Golf with upgraded suspension will be great. Not bad at all.

BTW, I am well aware that a DPF deleted Malone tuned TDI is not nearly green like the stock CR. And, the DEF is somewhat of a liability but VW tuned the Passat aggressively AND it got me 10-15% better FE than the CBEA/CJAA. DEF system was one of the reasons I gave up the Passat, mostly body style.

If the Passat wagon showed up in a 1.8T with options available with a 6MT platform, I'd be tempted. But it won't. As I said, there are no other options that really work for me right now, and I don't want to go back into more debt.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I am coming the the conclusion that I will keep my 2009 and 2013 JSWs and do whatever I have to keep them running.
The DPF cracked on the 2009 years and a 100,000 miles ago and was crazy expensive to replace so I did the bad thing.
When the DPF cracks on the 2013 I will do the same thing.
At least I know what the likely problems on the TDIs are.
Possible I will let them fix the cars (it that is really possible) and take the money, but if not they can BuzzKen off.
I am tired of not knowing and delaying doing what I need to do.
I bought new tires for the 2009 and next is the DSG service again. (150,000 miles)
I doubt that VW will offer me enough to buy back my cars if it is related to FMV and who's FMV?
Heck I might buy another at that price.
Several years ago I checked into trading the 2009 and the price they offered was ridiculous. They said that was what they were going for.
I said instead of selling mine then I wanted to buy two more just like it!.
I still feel the same way.

newyorktdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Who cares if the car beats "stringent" 2005-6 emissions. The vehicle was manufactured after 2009 when the new EPA regulations took effect. Therefore whatever standards were in effect back then are totally and completely irrelevant.

I'm a long time VW diesel fan, as my parents had an ALH wagon, my first car was a BEW sedan, my sister had a BRM, my parents now have an '09 Jetta and I have a 2010 Golf. What VW did was absolutely egregious and I understand this is a TDI Forum so many people will be very loyal, but I'm very disappointed by the level of fraud VW engaged in just to make money.

I don't want to own a fixed car if that means it'll burn more fuel and produce less power. You can illegally remove emissions equipment all you want and that your prerogative, but I'm not doing that. I bought the car knowing that there may be a HPFP issue, knowing about the intercooler icing issues, knowing about all the little VW-esque problems and now I find out VW was engaged in such a deep level of fraud for the last ten years?

Even until this day VW continues to hide the truth about what is going on. I don't like to support companies like this and quite frankly they can buy back my car and I'll gladly go with something else.

I want a resolution because my car requires it's 80,000 mile service and if it turns out that VW can't even fix the 2010 model why should I waste my money on the service, just to have to give up my car? Through no fault of my own I end up wasting money doing oil, fuel filter, cabin filter, DSG fluid and filter? The fixes were rejected once and they still don't know if they can effectively give a "fix" option for all affected models.

VW does not care at this point. They were alerted to the fact that the EPA knew what was going on over a year ago. And what did they do? They continued selling the cars with the defeat device! Even releasing the new 2016 models with it until the government revoked the certification. They tried to come off as suggesting that it was engineers and no executive or high level employees knew about the fraud. That has been proven to be completely untrue. They give out money here in the U.S. because they are trying to keep sales up so everyone is happy with a little bit of cash but c'mon, seriously?

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Who cares if the car beats "stringent" 2005-6 emissions. The vehicle was manufactured after 2009 when the new EPA regulations took effect. Therefore whatever standards were in effect back then are totally and completely irrelevant.

I'm a long time VW diesel fan, as my parents had an ALH wagon, my first car was a BEW sedan, my sister had a BRM, my parents now have an '09 Jetta and I have a 2010 Golf. What VW did was absolutely egregious and I understand this is a TDI Forum so many people will be very loyal, but I'm very disappointed by the level of fraud VW engaged in just to make money.

I don't want to own a fixed car if that means it'll burn more fuel and produce less power. You can illegally remove emissions equipment all you want and that your prerogative, but I'm not doing that. I bought the car knowing that there may be a HPFP issue, knowing about the intercooler icing issues, knowing about all the little VW-esque problems and now I find out VW was engaged in such a deep level of fraud for the last ten years?

Even until this day VW continues to hide the truth about what is going on. I don't like to support companies like this and quite frankly they can buy back my car and I'll gladly go with something else.

I want a resolution because my car requires it's 80,000 mile service and if it turns out that VW can't even fix the 2010 model why should I waste my money on the service, just to have to give up my car? Through no fault of my own I end up wasting money doing oil, fuel filter, cabin filter, DSG fluid and filter? The fixes were rejected once and they still don't know if they can effectively give a "fix" option for all affected models.

VW does not care at this point. They were alerted to the fact that the EPA knew what was going on over a year ago. And what did they do? They continued selling the cars with the defeat device! Even releasing the new 2016 models with it until the government revoked the certification. They tried to come off as suggesting that it was engineers and no executive or high level employees knew about the fraud. That has been proven to be completely untrue. They give out money here in the U.S. because they are trying to keep sales up so everyone is happy with a little bit of cash but c'mon, seriously?
Seriously. I will eventually DPF delete and Malone tune.

The engine block is excellent, and just needs durable equipment around it. Aftermarket is where to get it... I agree (for different reasons), ALL EPA standards are irrelevant.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
dubStrom, it's great to hear a voice of reason amid all the ranting and pipe dreaming of lucrative buybacks posted here. Although I sold my Golf before the scandal broke, if I still had it I'd have no plans to sell. And if VW releases the '15s for sale I'm on the list at my dealer to get the GSW with a manual he has on his lot, even though I don't need a car.

My concern is more that the days of diesels in smaller cars may be numbered. Given the cost of making them compliant and maintaining them, they now make more sense in luxury cars. I don't want a luxury car. So a leftover '15 or '16 may be my last chance to get a (relatively) small diesel wagon with a manual transmission. I may just park it until IBW gives up the ghost.

VW is supposed to reveal the details of its plan on 19 May. I predict there are going to be a lot of disappointed people here. And a lot of them will keep their CR TDIs. IMHO, that's a good thing.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I am not trying to be provocative here, it is just that I've gone through all of this over and over again, and I just realized (AGAIN!) the 2014 JSW 6MT is an awesome car, and I really have no good reason to let it go. I'll take any gifts of contrition from VW (already took the $500 plus $500 towards parts/service), but I won't take a buy back. For what I need, I cannot see anything better out there.
In an attempt to draw this thread back more on-topic (so I do not have to close it), I am going back to the original question: Why bother to accept a buy back?

I believe that this is going to be a highly individual decision. Everyone's needs and everyone's situations are different. I have an '09 and these are probably the least likely to get "fixed" (due to cost) therefore they are probably the most likely to be "bought back". My car is also long since paid off and it has been mostly trouble free, but it is also starting to get close to time to think about timing belt, oil pump hex shaft, and other expensive potential maintenance issues like DPF or HPFP. What I will do depends on completely what kind of offer VW makes and other factors (like whether any new TDIs are available by then). In other words, even for me - it is too early to decide whether or not I will accept a buy back. I really like my car and I would love to keep it but there are still too many unknowns at this time. I seriously doubt that any buybacks will start for at least several months. I suspect that many 2017 car models will be available before any serious buyback offer is on the table. I would love a new TDI GSW or Tiggy, but I am not holding my breath. I will just continue enjoying driving my car and wait to see what develops, I have plenty of patience (& popcorn).

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. If this thread becomes just another duplicate of "threadzilla", it will be closed. Also, there is already another thread to discuss what car you will buy after any buyback. If we can keep this thread on topic (and civil), it will remain alive.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
I have 140K on my 2010 and bigger expenses are string to come up along with other nagging stuff. So for me it is not a "bother" to accept a buyback.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
At the moment I have two. 2015 Golf with 22,000 miles and a 2013 Golf with 62,000 miles. Both vehicles see over 20,000 miles per year, both are paid for. I do not want to give them up, do not want a buy back. Both have been trouble free besides a clock spring covered under warranty. Both are in excellent condition, drive great and have been "optilubed" since new.

There is nothing else out there that fits the bill for commuting. We have a truck for the weekend hauling. Plus I do not want a car payment.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
I don't want to bother accepting a buy-back (should that actually happen) because I like my car, I own it, and getting rid of it means shopping for something else to drive. Looking for a replacement would mean a monthly payment (for an equivalent vehicle), so no thanks!

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Took a nice, long, ramble in my new GTI. Got the highway mileage of 34mpg with about 2/3 2-lane roads and 1/3 freeway.

Frugality-no-more.......call me Mister Wasteful..... :D

The more I drive the car, the more I like it. The suspension is firm but still surprisingly comfortable.

It's dirty though. Got bugs on it now.

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Took a nice, long, ramble in my new GTI.
That's going to be one of these days! I'd just like to wait a while longer. Ideally it would be in about 3 years, not just two. I hope my TDI keeps on keeping on. It's been a great car so far!

newyorktdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Seriously. I will eventually DPF delete and Malone tune.

The engine block is excellent, and just needs durable equipment around it. Aftermarket is where to get it... I agree (for different reasons), ALL EPA standards are irrelevant.

That is a very interesting stance regarding EPA standards.

VW is no different than GM with the ignition recall switch. Greed over customer's well-being. They can take my MK6 back if they want to "fix" it to burn more fuel and provide less power.

newyorktdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
VW is supposed to reveal the details of its plan on 19 May. I predict there are going to be a lot of disappointed people here. And a lot of them will keep their CR TDIs. IMHO, that's a good thing.
Do you have a link somewhere to this? From the court filings I've been reading, VW has 60 days from April 21, 2016 to present the full details of their proposed plan and it's dependent on whether the EPA will approve of another one of their so claimed fixes of the 2.0's.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There is supposed to be a "status conference" on 19 May when many believe VW will provide more info on its plans for the Gen 1 and other cars. We may get a lot of info, may get none. If it's none then we'll hear a month later on 21 June.

I thought about getting either a GTI or Golf R earlier this year. The major appeal to me would be an instant track day car. But I don't think I would be cool with the risk of totaling a brand new car on the track without insurance, and to pay $100+ a day for track day insurance makes it expensive. And I'll confess I don't want to hammer around on 18" wheels on Massachusetts' lovely roads. Lots of damaged wheels and tires around here.

I wonder how the GTI will do in the kind of real-world longer distance driving I do, which means running between 75-90 MPH, little use of the cruise. My TDI will get close to 50 MPG doing that. Don't think you're going to see that, or even 34, in a GTI in those conditions.

Last edited:

Sandmaster

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
I really think there are only a few reasons to bother to take the buy back:
1. Financial gain if the buyback is lucrative enough.
2. A buy back option makes it easier to swallow for those that feel VW lied to them.
3. Owners will take the buy back if the fix action doesn't leave them with the car they've come to know and love.
4. Owners who don't care one way or the other but are tired of an old car (8 year old cars in some cases) and see this as an opportunity to move on to another car.

I might be missing an angle but I think those are the basic categories as to why people given the option of a buy back would take it.

My reasons:

1. I would take the buy back if like others have said it works to their financial advantage.

2. The other reason would be safety related, for me that's if VW and the EPA can get on the same page regarding 2015+ diesels and get them recertified for sale. I'm quite interested in a 2016+ VW GSW TDI with the Driver Assistance Package, specifically the forward collision warning with autonomous emergency braking (front assist). That technology could have saved my last car, the 2010, and even if it hadn't the IIHS has already seen a 40% reduction in rear end fender benders for cars that have the technology compared to those that don't. http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskt...tion-slashes-police-reported-rear-end-crashes Plus there are other features in there that make it a nice package. To me this is a safety reason with a financial angle to it.

I'm quite happy with my latest 2012 VW JSW (Bought Feb '16). My 2010 VW JSW that I bought Oct '14 was wrecked in Dec '15. I was doing my best to hold out and let the dust settle but I couldn't take it any longer. I live/register my cars in FL where emissions standards are quite lax so I'm not too worried about the state bearing down on us. Even then I'm hesitant to just run out and take a buy back because unless I can find a car that gets the same or better fuel economy, similar space, and a comparable driving experience I won't feel that I'm better off than with what I'm driving right now.

I'm happy for now. In the end I'm waiting for the next announcement with more details before I make any more moves. Plus we're potentially looking at months down the road before they can fulfill their end. They'll need to have a process in place to handle all of the buybacks much like they've done with the Goodwill Package which took a few months to roll out.

dnslater

TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI
I love my JSW but it perhaps a diesel doesn't fit our needs like it did. We bought it for my wife's long commute. My Odyssey was totaled in an accident and she decided she wanted an AWD Subaru for bad weather, so I now drive the JSW for my 5 mile commute. Doesn't even get warmed up. If I ever want to sell it, they buyback will be the best opportunity because of the alleged incentives.

I do love a long roof though as paired with a roof rack it is all we need for our family. I refuse to go the crossover route or get another van. Only other options are a used 328 wagon, Audi wagon or Volvo.

GAZNRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW
If there is a fair value plus cash I am taking it and bailing out of VW for good. Will look at a Ford, Toyota or Honda suv as an alternative.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Why bother accept a buyback? Because VW may offer more than the car is worth to me.

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
I'm not even considering to sell it back to them unless the hippies are going to make it unregisterable. But if it remains registerable, I'm keeping mine.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Consider this; VW has to do something for its dealer network. I expect the "buyback" price to be above the KBB value. In addition, there will be a "coupon" worth several thousand dollars if you buy another car from a VW dealer. I am ready to move on after owning my car for seven years.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
The only ways I'd accept the buyback is if:
-vw offers a sum too good to pass up on.
-they have a fix that I'd rather not have that might kill performance since I already was looking for a tune to give the car more pep.

I'd like to also get a cp3 pump as well as a tune if I keep the car. So, we'll see in a couple weeks how this plays out.