JSW Rear hatch latch Problem

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
This afternoon the Rear latch quit locking . I pulled It out and tried to get it apart to see what was wrong , but no joy .
I couldn't find the part number on The net so tomorrow I will stop by a VW dealer (while traveling ) to see if I Can get one .
I love driving the car, but I hate owning one .
these things are kits for the handyman .
I am seriously thinking about trading for a Prius V.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
It is not fun to drive, but my 2002 Prius has beed dead reliable and inexpensive to maintain. Not so my 2009 tdi jsw.
Most things I have been able to do myself, but at 65 I am getting tired of having to. The only other option is to pay the dealer $$$$ to do whatever needs doing and take my chances.
Not a good option.
Just an observation. VW has butkiss for quality control.
I love driving it, owning it not so much.
I think the total cost of ownership is less with the Prius V. The mileage is similar, but gasoline is cheaper and the AC probably works and the doors lock.
Did I say my 2002 Prius was trouble free for 165000 miles?
I can't say the same about the TDI and the scheduled service is much more expensive. Then the worry about HPFP etc.
Not to mention leaking sunroofs , short life for CV joints, and Dsg concerns.
If VW wants to take over the auto business they need to make more reliable, lower maintenance cost cars.
I wish them luck, but I am getting tired.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
Bought the latch for another $100 and installed it and eyerything works.
It gives me less and less pleasure fixing VWs. Now to change the oil in the engine and transmission.
$100 to replace the first trunk latch I have ever had to work on.

lil_k9

TDI
2013 VW Golf 6MT
I'm having similiar issues with my JSW. You would happened to have that part number?

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
No, but it has been superceeded and the VW dealer had one in stock ahich tells me there is a relativly constant demand for them.
I looked online and the price (with shipping) did not offset the premium of having one in my hand for the difference.
It was a little less than $100.00 with tax.
Not a big deal to change, just pull the lower interior cover (two screws at the bottom) ans the carefully snap the cover off.
Two triple square screws hold it on, but I only had access to small vicegrips on the road which did remove them. I put them in finger tight until I got home.

Just irritating when cheap plastic pieces in a latch break. Must have saved .5 cents per lock.
Permium German design and quality?????
I haven't replaced anything on my 2002 Prius!

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Once you hate the car it's time to get rid of it.

tomc585

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Part #5M0827505E9B9

My hatch latch just failed. I cant blame it since I do open and close it several times a day. $95 from dealer (in stock). Part number is 5M0827505E9B9. The original says Made in Germany and has a metal Emergency lever while the replacement says made in Italy with a plastic Emergency lever. Requires a T25 to remove the panel and a XZN108 triple square to remove the latch.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
My latch works perfect, but I always found it odd it makes a unlatch sound and then a few moments later it sounds like it is re-latching. Most of the time I can open the hatch all the way first time. Some times it opens but is partially latched.... Anyone know about that odd characteristic.

It is not fun to drive, but my 2002 Prius {sic]. Just an observation. [sic] Not to mention leaking sunroofs , short life for CV joints, and Dsg concerns.
Sorry to hear your frustration, but good for you getting it fixed. I don't have a sunroof, but what about short life CV joints? What about dsg concerns? Never heard of these being an issue.

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I spoke too soon. My rear hatch in the MFD is showing open. However it seems to open and close, lock and unlock as before.

Do I need a new latch or is it just the position sensor? Anyone?

The part number is good, dealer wanted $104 but knocked it down $95.... plus tax

I found it on line for $77...., but found better price on eBay.. $71.

Last edited:

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
This may be the switch that works the light. I haven't looked into this one yet. Hopefully I will never know!

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
This may be the switch that works the light. I haven't looked into this one yet. Hopefully I will never know!
This is a good thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=396168&highlight=hatch+latch&page=2

It turns out two micro switches are in the lock, one for lamp one for MFD indicator. I am pretty sure if I took it out I might get the micro working and save the part. However since I bought a new latch I'll install it. I'll try and fix the original and save for a spare. If understand folks can get the micro switch working with some WD40. I have some special aerosol contact cleaner switch lube....

jvossman

TDI
2010 JSW TDI 6M
my 2010 wagon latch just pooped. Not what I wanted to use part of my $500 dealer gift card on... hmmmm...

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Just had mine go on Tuesday as well. It's an epidemic! Stupid bolts were seized ended up stripping them and having To drill them out. Good thing lowes had 8x20 bolts in stock!

blazerico

TDI
`09 JSW, DSG; '12 JSW (manual)
btw - $280 for the fix at local dealer. bye bye to most of my free service visa card

Mcnugget

TDI
Jetta sportwagen 2012
Wow. $109 for the part and it took me about 30 mins to replace. Very easy fix
How did you fix this? Mine literally broke last night and I'm a fixer and want to know how it's done. Can you possibly shed some light on this and let us know? Also what is the part number you bought?

Thanks!!

SANman

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
2010 JSW with 115k miles...mine went also. At all places, the airport as we were unloading to leave for 10 days. So it had to sit there unlocked. But all fared, and I had to blow $128 of my $500 gift card on a new one. Replaced it in probably 20 mins. B.S. design by VW in my opinion for a part that should last the life of a car.

mytmouse

TDI
2012 JSW tdi
2012 JSW 89,600 miles. mine went also, wife on road in bakersfield, ca with daughter...300 miles from home and tailgate wont shut.

The good: R&R was piece of cake once home (2 days later and some good heated phone discussions on how to tie it shut!!!!)

The bad: after knowing the price of $109 as MSRP go to dealer parts store on way home from work knowing that is the problem. Guy tells me 150 spomething is list....i say interesting, i was just on your website and this part # is $109 list. He of course replies well those internet prices are for ordering online. I say no????, that is list, had i ordered online it was $98!! I say again list is list right? He says sorry... ARGH!!! i say well, how about 15% off? (i feel im getting screwed the whole time).. he agreed to that. So i take the part (mind you, open bag, lol!!!!). get home and hop online, setup an account and place the same part on "will call" for that 98$ in my shopping cart. I get to the last step to submit order and i decide to call the dealer back. I give him the option of me hitting the button on the will call order at which point i drive back to the dealer and return this one to get my credit of 40$ or so.
Or you can save you and me the frikin time of me driving over there and having to pick up the part i have in my hand and you having me standing at your counter asking for a credit for the part you are about to hand to me and kindly refund the 40 frikin $ over the phone.... He gets it now, and agrees.

The ugly: first purchase on my VW only goodwill card.. and you want to charge me list plus 50%? I am beside myself.

tailgate closed....

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
2012 JSW 89,600 miles. mine went also, wife on road in bakersfield, ca with daughter...300 miles from home and tailgate wont shut.

The good: R&R was piece of cake once home (2 days later and some good heated phone discussions on how to tie it shut!!!!)

The bad: after knowing the price of $109 as MSRP go to dealer parts store on way home from work knowing that is the problem. Guy tells me 150 spomething is list....i say interesting, i was just on your website and this part # is $109 list. He of course replies well those internet prices are for ordering online. I say no????, that is list, had i ordered online it was $98!! I say again list is list right? He says sorry... ARGH!!! i say well, how about 15% off? (i feel im getting screwed the whole time).. he agreed to that. So i take the part (mind you, open bag, lol!!!!). get home and hop online, setup an account and place the same part on "will call" for that 98$ in my shopping cart. I get to the last step to submit order and i decide to call the dealer back. I give him the option of me hitting the button on the will call order at which point i drive back to the dealer and return this one to get my credit of 40$ or so.
Or you can save you and me the frikin time of me driving over there and having to pick up the part i have in my hand and you having me standing at your counter asking for a credit for the part you are about to hand to me and kindly refund the 40 frikin $ over the phone.... He gets it now, and agrees.

The ugly: first purchase on my VW only goodwill card.. and you want to charge me list plus 50%? I am beside myself.

tailgate closed....
I had the same issue with Colonial VW of Medford. I had called my local dealer and they said $109 but didn't have one in stock. I called VW of Medford and the guy told me $140. I asked him to match and after giving me a hard time he agreed to $109. I was so annoyed I called another VW dealer and they sold me one for $109 without any negotiation.

oldfatguy

TDI
2012 sportswagen
Video on replacing rear latch on JSW?

Back latch on my JSW won't latch and read about replacing it on this site. Not being the most "handy" of men I always like to watch a video on how to do something first. Couldn't find any whatsoever on YouTube and was wondering if anyone else had seen or heard of one?
Thanks!

Velo Jetta

TDI
2011 Sportwagen
Mine just went out..can't open rear latch!

2011 Jetta SportWagen..

Yesterday got the clicking sound of motor when I try to open with key fob, rear lid handle, and driver side button...Just clicks and will not open. I am willing to try and order the part online and tackle the install, but how the hell do I open up my hatch to get at it? Any suggestions?

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Might be a bit late, but there is a handle (small half disk) to open it from the inside.

jsw11victor

TDI
2011 JSW
replaced mine on friday thanks to the help of this and another thread. it broke literally 2 days after buying the car used. a nice little intro to vw tinkering fun.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Buy the camera version on eBay for $35 or buy it with the camera wiring kit and upgrade your radio to have a backup camera.