Gauge Preference

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
If you had room for 4 gauges on a TDI with an upgraded turbo and tunes you would obviously use 2 for boost and egt but what would your preference be on the other two? Water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, voltmeter, other?

joseluis.17g

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 MKIV mexican Jetta 1.9 TDI
I'll put on a scan gauge or turbo gauge or some sort of obd2 monitor to check water temp and IAT the put on a oil pressure/temp gauge

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
All of 'em :)

Scangauge takes care of water temp, oil pressure/temp is not really that useful unless you're working the engine really hard for long periods of time (towing a lot for long distances).

Really, boost and EGT's are the only ones that are "required", the rest are optional. I'd have an outside temperature gauge

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)
Boost, EGT, Oil temp and pressure. 2 on the column, 2 on the a pillar.

I also run a 12v cig plug voltmeter. I'm a HUGE fan of a voltmeter vs the idiot light.

Over my millions of KM driven, it potentially saved me a tow bill or CAA call when the alternator went wonky and/or died. Once the idiot light goes on, it could be too late depending where you are. Unless you want your car fixed at a nearby "unknown" garage... horror stories :)

The voltmeter gives you a direct reading... if a rectifier goes, you can see the voltage go up and down and all over the place, a hint that your alternator is on its way out. It just gives you TIME to deal and assess the situation.

Also.. it'll give you a nice reading when you start your car. You can see the voltage dip when you crank it over. When you start getting in the low 9s, it's time to get a new battery. Another possible item that could leave you stranded somewhere you wouldn't want to be!

And they're dirt cheap, direct wire in the fuse box or cig plug like me.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Depends on the mods - if you have stock turbo or minor upgrade - boost only, EGT is ok to have. No need to bother with any others.

Boost, EMP, AFR, Oil Press, Oil Temp.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
Thanks for all of the opinions! I still can't decide, I am going to do the podi dual gauge pod on the column so I could easily fit 4 gauge since each gauge can show 2 readings. I will definitely do boost and EGT, and am leaning towards oil pressure and coolant temp. Coolant temp because the gauge in the cluster doesn't show true temp and even though it isn't at all needed I would like to know, and oil pressure because you can tell if something goes wrong before idiot light comes on and also you can tell when the oil is up to operating temp more or less because the pressure will drop as the oil warms.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I get by just fine with my combo turbo/EGT gauge, along with Scan Gauge II monitoring voltage, intake air temp, coolant temp, and average trip fuel mileage. The only bad experience is that the LEDs for the EGT are burning out one-by-one.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Why not display all (boost, exhaust temp, plus two more) with a scangauge? Less clutter. Or does that not work on an '06?

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)
A dedicated gauge with a dedicated purpose sounds better to me. It's like an appliance. It just works. No fiddling, no fuss, no muss. Its just like another gauge in the cluster. They're just pricey...

I run Torque on an S2 velcro'd up somewhere in the center vents area.. I display stuff the dash cluster doesn't.. it's nice to have. It's just not as good as a dedicated gauge... at least in my opinion. And it only cost me 5 bucks, for the bluetooth dongle. Got the phone for free.

And I think the newer the car, the more you can display on the scangauge or torque... you can't get that many extra numbers out of the ecu on a mk4.

Maybe cause the Mk4 ALH is just SIMPLER and has less CRAP to deal with.. like O2s.. DPFs.. and all that emissions crap.

Keep it simple stupid. I love that saying.