Clutch Issues

alphadrex

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS
Ok folks,

I ordered and received a stage 3 clutch for my ALH w/ 02J from Bully Clutch, they ran out of alignment tools and didn't send one with the kit. They tell me it's on backorder. My question is this, I have a narrow window in which I can do the clutch, does anyone in the Edmonton or Calgary Alberta area have this alignment tool and are willing to part with it? Please let me know ASAP as I was planning to do it on Friday, Oct. 24th. Thanks all.

alphadrex

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
Just stick your finger in the hole and feel around or just look at it straight on. You can easily get it damn near on target. I've done it that way numerous times.

FYI, gentle driving, no kicking in the low end torque for 1000-1500km. Let the kevlar bed in. Enjoy your new-found shift smoothness, your synchros thank you.

alphadrex

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS
So it's not that bad to try and line it up by eyeballing it? I thought it would be difficult to get the input shaft to line up because of the way you have to twist the tranny into place after.
I guess the first time I push the pedal in, the friction disc will "float" to it's ideal position anyway as long as it's on the splines.
Considering getting the stock one and using the tool, but the clutch I'm putting in is for the 1.8t, is the alignment tool the same for both? Or should I make sure I get a stock 1.8t clutch?
I'm doing it on the lift at work so I can't afford to find out the hard way that I'm missing something or it wont go back together properly. No matter what happens it has to be out by Monday, pushed, driven or dragged.

alphadrex

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Really easy to line it up, use a mirror if you can't get your head in and use a 1/2 inch extension bar, leave the pressure plate bolts a little loose then use the bar to wiggle the plate central, finally tighten the pp bolts and you're good to go.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
I made one when I installed a clutch, I used pvc pipe and wood dowel worked great.

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
look in youre trunk and find the vw wrench to loosen the wheel bolts.
the handle fits perfect to line up youre cluch.

this is how i do for years.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I think I used a deep socket wrapped with tape.

-Todd