need a new clutch

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Shrug...it is still a compromise for those who want to go a bit lighter and don't want as much rattle-rattle. Combined with a light lower end build it does just fine. Admittedly a savings of three or so pounds is not a big deal...but it is a compromise!

DrFaustus

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Most people could drop just as much or more rotating mass just by going to stamped steel wheels. Cheaper, easier, and just as effective. Without the clatter.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
This site: http://measurespeed.com/5zigen-rims-wheel-weight.php doesn't show a 7.5" width but the 7" and 8" are 16 and 17 lbs, respectively.

I have a set of Motegi Traklite 16x7s that weigh 12 lbs. each. Never drove them on the street, they have slicks on them right now. But maybe next summer. It's amazing how much different lighter wheels make. I have a set of 15" Kosei K1s that weigh 13.5 lbs. each, and those are great, mostly because you can put tires on them that weigh 18 lbs.

thebarber

Veteran Member
TDI
06 5spd tdi wagon
i had 14" kosei K1-TS on our aveo....gawwwd they were light.

had 15x7 rpf1's on my supercharged yaris....also awesome.

i stumbled upon my fn01r's from a subaru owner....had them on my vibe gt for a couple years....

i always add lightness when it comes to wheels.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Got it. I thought the C was for Cast. Yours must be forged, like the Motegi Traklites.

thebarber

Veteran Member
TDI
06 5spd tdi wagon
im doubtful that anyone has used it, but what about a clutch from gripforce? they seem to be called FX clutches now in the gripforce store on ebay.

i know, i know. cheapy clutch, right?

i had a gripforce stage 2 and a fidanza flywheel in my 04 Matrix XRS and it took a BEATING at the dragstrip....6000rpm clutch dumps all night long....(ya, i used to drive A LOT harder)

Lord_Verminaard

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI
I find it really strange that the TDI's rattle so much with a lightweight flywheel but the 1.8t's dont. I put a 14# SMF with vr6 clutch in the Wife's 1.8T Jetta wagon that I converted from auto to manual. I didn't notice any noise at all and the clutch pedal feel is oh so smooth. I thought that if my TDI felt the same way with a similar clutch, I am sold.

I guess the TDI's torque pulse at idle is much heavier and more abrupt than a gasser. Has anyone bumped the idle RPM of a TDI up a little with a lightweight flywheel and noticed a difference in noise?

Brendan