Can you clarify the diesel/biodiesel on 2012 jetta tdi for me?

dieselinchicago

TDI
VW Jetta TDI 2012
I'm a newbie here and you guys have helped me a lot so far.
Yesterday I spent 3 hours driving looking for pure diesel or the 5% blend until I ran out of diesel and had to put in the 5-20% blend (only 2 gallons to get me home)

I was browsing through the forums here looking for pure diesel or 5% blend stations, but most seem outdated. So my few questions for the seasoned diesel owners:

1) I know VW claims you can use up to 20% biodiesel in 2011/2012 TDIs (their website) but then due to emissions they said to use 5%. Is anything over 5% actually BAD for the engine? (for the 2012 jetta model)?

2) If I tank a blend higher than 5%, should I use an additive? And why? What would the benefits be? I tanked the 5-20% blend last night and my TDI seems to be running louder now.

3) If I had the choice to get a 5-20% blend from like Shell (which I consider best in my Chicago region) vs a 5% blend from like Speedway or Marathon (which I may be mistaken but do not think they're that great), which should I choose?

Thanks again guys. Love this forum!!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This discussion needs to be in the alternative fuels section. Also, you're starting threads when there are already active discussions happening about the same topic.

Fill the car up with whatever is locally available. In Chicago, that will be an average of B11. Monitor your oil with a used oil analysis every 5,000 miles until you are confident that the biodiesel is not causing harmful oil dilution.

You don't need to use an additive for biodiesel use.

Jim W

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I'm a newbie here and you guys have helped me a lot so far.
Yesterday I spent 3 hours driving looking for pure diesel or the 5% blend until I ran out of diesel and had to put in the 5-20% blend (only 2 gallons to get me home)

I was browsing through the forums here looking for pure diesel or 5% blend stations, but most seem outdated. So my few questions for the seasoned diesel owners:

1) I know VW claims you can use up to 20% biodiesel in 2011/2012 TDIs (their website) but then due to emissions they said to use 5%. Is anything over 5% actually BAD for the engine? (for the 2012 jetta model)?

2) If I tank a blend higher than 5%, should I use an additive? And why? What would the benefits be? I tanked the 5-20% blend last night and my TDI seems to be running louder now.

3) If I had the choice to get a 5-20% blend from like Shell (which I consider best in my Chicago region) vs a 5% blend from like Speedway or Marathon (which I may be mistaken but do not think they're that great), which should I choose?

Thanks again guys. Love this forum!!
You can fill up at a Wal-Mart (Murphy OIL) or Meijer food store that sells diesel. Both oil these sell straight #2 diesel fuel. This is where we fill-up both my wife’s Jetta and my Ram 6.7L Cummins.
Also in the mid-west section there is a listing of stations that sell #2 diesel. Stay away from BP's they sell Bio-fuel and sometimes do not label the percentages of Bio.
Jim W.