Mufflerectomy

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
You won't want the stock one back on--this is a very cheap mod, the car sounds so much better, and you save a bit of weight.
No change in performance.
Anyways, have fun with it, if you want more sound use a larger diameter pipe--if you want it to sound almost stock (but spool the turbo faster) use 2.25" pipe.
Cheers,
-BB

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
You may need the stock one back on for emission testing... if that's the case, run up to Autozone and get some exhaust clamps so you can do a "quick release" type system.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
It sounds cool -- but there is a drone to it...it's not quite as sexy as the R32 exhaust note...
Yeah... but the R32 exhaust note is probably the best for a V6 ever.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
My question about doing a mufflerectomy is this. Currently I have the DriverGear sport muffler on my car (leftover from my 1.8T). Really does nothing for sound on the TDI, however it looks extremely nice. The two rounded tips exit perfectly below the bumper and stick out the perfect amount. Most people assume that my car has the factory exhaust on it, it looks that good.

Can a muffler shop duplicate the look of these two tips with a mufflerectomy, say if I purchase a set of exhaust tips?

Here's a pic to see what I'm talking about:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sure they can. But don't count on getting a much better sound unless you want loud. You may be just as well off to stick with what you have. I went 2.5" straight from the CAT to the rear and it was just too loud for me on the highway. Now I have a magnaflow muffler in the back and it sounds fine (but almost like stock) except at a high load in 5th over about 3200 RPM. Then it gets LOUD. But by then I'm going fast enough that I don't mind.

TheCheat

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 jetta tdi 5m (227k), 04 jetta wagon 5m (293k)
Has anyone experienced (sp?) increased smoke after doing this? I noticed yesterday when my dad was backing the ol' girl up that she was smoking a bit (sooting, shall we say). Never did it before, but then again, the muffler was pointing straight down. No loss of power, just wondering if this is normal.

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue
I posted earlier this morning but it hasn't popped up yet so forgive me if I get duplicated.

Boy this one is a blast from the past. This goes down as one of my least favorite mods. To update this post almost 3 years late. After 6 months and several long trip on interstate 5, I had the muffler put back on. The noise between 2500-3000 ok around town was fine but on long trips with the cruise set at 85-90, I would go bonkers!

I can not see away that this mod would give you any more smoke then you already had, it would make it more visible though. Especially if you had the screwed up airflow of beetle, I pitty anyone that has a white beetle and straight tips!

I would attribute more smoke then normal to bad fuel, maf or just plain pipe build up from low rpm travel. I wouldn't worry about it unless other symptoms appear. With no performance gain, except for the 30 lbs weight loss, it's not worth the effort. You are never going to get that muscle car rumble, you won't even get that 6 cylinder boat sound, why bother. If you must, install a PA and sample a built 427 and be happy, I actually perfer the sound of the new Masseratis.

"Diesel on Dudes!"

TheCheat

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 jetta tdi 5m (227k), 04 jetta wagon 5m (293k)
I've been running 47cetane, no additives. Maybe I'll try a shot of PS white in there to clean things up. I do creep along quite a bit, so I'll try running her a bit harder than I normally do.

I'm willing to bet I need to drive her harder. I drive very conservatively most of the time.

jasonlee

TDI
99.5 Golf TDI
:D I have a 1999.5 Golf TDI and saved 35 pounds with the mufflerectomy but also I removed the rear seats and backrests,the plastic engine cover, the trunk lid cover and a few other useless brackets.
The total weight reduction is about 100 pounds.
Acceleration is a bit improved but also handling. It goes around a bend faster and seems to lean a bit less.:rolleyes:
The right rear seat backrest weights about 45 pounds . I presume VW added a weight in there to balance out the weight of the driver in the front left seat .
Removing the 35 pounds muffler lightens the weight on the rear wheels.

When shifting at around 2800rpm there is a sexy whistling sound from the turbo.This is quite low and nowhere offensive.
There appears to be no gain in performance even though the turbo is supposed to spool up faster .

It would be great if VW ceased to equip their turbo cars with mufflers and reduced their prices accordingly.:)

Seasons Greeetings to all,:D

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Anthracite Golf IV, 13 miles and counting ;)
whats this about emissions tests and having to put mufflers back on all about??

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
If you take your car in for an emissions test and they look and see no muffler, they'll very likely fail you on the spot. Am I missing something in your question?

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
eetsoot said:
I pitty anyone that has a white beetle and straight tips!
Looks like someone is asking for a pitty party!:eek:

The amount of soot that is deposited onto the back of the car depends on the placement of the tips relative to the bumper the sound volume in the car also changes. When I had my dual tips installed (one on each side... by the reverse lights) I had them installed sticking half an inch past the under side of the fender. I can post pics later if people want to see.

BradleyRas

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Silver Arrow
Going on 2 yrs with a 2.5" straight pipe from the resonator back. I extended the tip past the bumper and slash cut it down. No soot and the noise at high speed is not a problem.

I kinda like hearing the turbo wistle. I've surprised quite a few people when the turbo spools up at idle, sounds like a jet engine whine.

Note: my local stealer**** will NOT pass state inspection without the muffler, but my local garage does not have a problem with it as long as there are no exhaust leaks. The local guy says he considers the resonator as muffler and the noise is not excessive so he does not have a problem passing me.

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Anthracite Golf IV, 13 miles and counting ;)
Gothmolly said:
If you take your car in for an emissions test and they look and see no muffler, they'll very likely fail you on the spot. Am I missing something in your question?
does the muffler play a big role in the emissions? from what i gather not a lot of extra soot after mufflerectomy, nor is there a significant noise gain , unless missing something.

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
The muffler plays no role in emissions. Some states do require the presense of a muffler to pass certain state inspections. Depending on laws a turbo charger may also count as a muffler device.

Oregon's laws are specific to dB levels.

TdiAvenger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI, 2003, red
Gothmolly said:
y would they look....its not really that obvious

BradleyRas

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Silver Arrow
TdiAvenger said:
y would they look....its not really that obvious
You know how most dealerships and garages are, they LOOK for every little thing that can be replaced to maximize their sale...

20/20 did a story a couple years back where they marked the fuel filter, muffler, air filter, oil filter and several other OEM parts on an SUV that was in perfect mechanical condition, then they put a blonde middle aged woman (actress) behind the wheel and sent her out to different ships (pep boys, jiffy lube, sears etc..) and most of the shops convinced her that she needed this that and the other thing but did not do the repairs.

GOTLIFT02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
mufflerectomy is great, car sounds awesome!! couldnt be happier with it. I used a chrome turndown tip, and have it hidden under the car practically, behind the bumper. -jordan

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Emissions without Cat or muffler

Hey folks- Does anyone know the affect of running a straight pipe without Cat or muffler on emissions, both particulate and oxides? The '99 Beetle I just bought has a Borla stainless straight pipe. I'm more concerned with emissions than a small boost in performance, and the boost seems to be arguable anyway. Can I have a Cat and muffler spliced into the stainless pipe or should I get a complete stock or aftermarket exhaust? Any thoughts on the best mufflers/Cats/pipes to use? Thanks for your input.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Yes, put a Cat in there, just splice it in. The cats for gas engines are different for diesels, so make sure you get the right one. I'm pretty sure that it's the emissions of NOx pollutants that are increased greatly by not running a cat but somebody may correct me on that.

But you're right, there's likely no performance boost from a slightly modified TDI from removing the cat. But mufflers are heavy and you can rid yourself of about 40lbs by removing the stock muffler. Cats, however, are pretty light and small...

TDI2Fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/2001/2002/2004/2009 Jetta GLS Auto/Auto/5M/5M/DSG 2010 A3/DSG
Junior Whitefish said:
Hey folks- Does anyone know the affect of running a straight pipe without Cat or muffler on emissions, both particulate and oxides? The '99 Beetle I just bought has a Borla stainless straight pipe. I'm more concerned with emissions than a small boost in performance, and the boost seems to be arguable anyway. Can I have a Cat and muffler spliced into the stainless pipe or should I get a complete stock or aftermarket exhaust? Any thoughts on the best mufflers/Cats/pipes to use? Thanks for your input.
Have they actually created a catalyst that works with Diesel emissions? or Are we just putting a catalytic converter on the passenger vehicle for cause?

Which is the case?

TDI2Fan

Veteran Member
TDI
mojogoes said:
Particulate filter???
Not sure if this is a response or a question. Either way, please correct me!

A properly tuned diesel has very little particulate emissions! We all know the manufacturer creates a properly tuned from the factory delivered product!

I was looking for someone to indicate that we have devised a catalyst that chemically alters the emission of a diesel's exhaust.

IMHO, if we put cats on Diesels to prevent particulates, there is a insignificant amount from our cars. I have seen Trucks, Buses, and Heavy Equipment with HUGE particulate emissions. Statistically, wouldn't these be a more productive source to address particulates?

or better yet, How about proper tuning?

Last edited:

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Particulates depends on the fuel to a large degree. Higher sulfer equals more particulates...

TDI2Fan

Veteran Member
TDI
Concur, however, in those vehicles I mentioned I suspect that tuning is more of a culprit than off-road Diesel!

Last edited:

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
If just tuning of the engine were the problem with particulate then I don't think VW and other car companies would be dumping the amount of funds that they are into developing particulate filters. It's a problem that diesels have no matter what you do. Give them less fueling and you get less particulate, but you still get some, you just can't see it. Gasoline engines also give off particulates, they are just very small in physical size and not visible to the naked eye most of the time.

Dana

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta [White w/ black]
And the stock TDI cats are not restrictive. It's reported that the TDI rally car team leaves the stock cat in place.