apr unitronic or malone?

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Hello,

About to straight pipe my 2014 jsw. Going with downpipe and 3 inch dump no resonator muffler cat or anything. I am a little confused about the tuning. I hear alot of people using the malone 'stage "2"' but just because something is popular doesn't make it good (facebook ifone etc) Can anyone comment on the unitronic tunes? I keep hearing about surge problems with the malone tune and it doesn't appear to be resolved. If I am going to pay half a grand for software you would expect it to be hashed out right? The cost of the program is due to the research and testing to make it right. Who has these tunes figured out the best among the normal suspects, apr unitronic, 'malone'?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
IF you intend to delete any Federally mandated emissions equipment, Malone is probably your only option. Malone Tuning is a Canadian company, so they do not have to worry so much about EPA regulations. I doubt that you will find the proper tune from APR, or Unitronic unless your intake and exhaust are stock.

As to the quality of Malone tunes - Mark Malone is one of the best. APR and Unitronic are both relative newcomers to TDI tuning compared to Mark.
Stick with the best.

Have Fun!

Don

Anonymous911

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 DBP GTI SE 6MT PP/LP
Go with Malone! They are the best for TDI. Apr and Unitronic are good for gassers but they have issues with TDI.

Go with MALONE!

I have Malone Stage 2 Tune with DPF intacted since 20k miles, and no issues so far! It pulls hard like crazy!

Jim_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf
Rocket chip was/is popular with the alh crowd. Don't know if he does anything for the CR, though. I would assume yes, though...

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
Can I get the independent rear suspension? And the trunk plastics? From the topic of this thread and the details in your sig I dont give this car very long. But for what its worth Malone is your best option if your doing full exhaust

Jim_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf
Can I get the independent rear suspension? And the trunk plastics? From the topic of this thread and the details in your sig I dont give this car very long. But for what its worth Malone is your best option if your doing full exhaust
Now that's funny!

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Now that's funny!
For the record none of those wrecks were my fault, Wife and daughter. No one drives my cars but me anymore! I will go with Malone guys, i Guess. 500+ bucks is alot of money for this though.

sprinks

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta tdi (gone); now mk7 gti
It's a pretty competitive pricing compared to everyone else as well. Be glad you don't have to spring for the additional DSG tune.

VW_TDi_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf-S TDi with DSG
When I decide to purchase a tune, I'm going with Malone. He offers a lot of options like dynamic egr & dynamic idle. Ill probably get the stage 2 or stage 3.